List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tipping in Thailand. Who and when.

Tipping in Thailand. Who and when.

Guys,

Aussie has given me a subject, I for one, am definitely interested in, I am not interested in Bar boys and how much nonsense at all, its boring and been overly covered.

I mean for services, other than the obvious, including bell boys, porters, restaurants, Hotel receptions and maids.

Who do you tip??

I definitely tip the bell boy, on arrival and departure as I expect my luggage carrying as I am a lazy bastard.

The maid, I leave a tip when I am leaving. Reception, I usually don't bother, but will if there is a large tip box near where you pay the bill, as some Hotels have to embarrass you into it.

I have never been to Japan, but been advised, not to, as it is impolite. Singapore, the brochures tell you not to, issued by the Government!

I know the protocols in the UK, however, I took my sister and co for lunch to a fairly upscale joint and the service was not up to par.

She snatched the tip out of my hand, whilst the waitress was checking the bill, shook her head, told me off in the car park and returned the tip to me.

Her words were "Tipping is for service, we didn't get any!"

Tam and I would reduce the tip in Thailand,for bad service, but tip anyway and not return.

What do you people do. Amounts are really irrelevant. Also, do you tip when service charge is added to your bill???

I was once told by a waiter that the Hotel only gave them a percentage of the service charge and the Hotel kept the lion's share! Tam said, that was not "our problem"

Because this board has an international membership, I would be interested in all your views please and for my own benefit it would help me know if I am being a bit soft or not.

In the US, I tip 15 to 20 percent on all restaurant tabs.
    In Thailand, at a fancy place, if there is a service charge, I just add 20 baht.
    No service charge, 10 percent.
    Street restaurants: nothing
    In between restaurants: leave the change

I don't see any reason to tip as if you are in the US in Thailand.
    Of course I tip bellboys. And when I tip housekeeping, I find it helps to tip daily. You get something for it usually.

Yes, if the service is really great or really bad, that can change the amounts. And unlike the US, it is OK to leave nothing here if thats what they (don't) deserve.

wx40afp,

Thanks for linking. We must both of been typing at the same time!!

Also, I am guilty of giving 20/40 baht per bar for a drink tip. It can mount when you hit plenty of bars and only have "a" drink, and then move on.

Another problem , is the downwards "glance" I have felt, when I have given 100 baht on occasion, having had a few, then the next time handed over 20 baht.

A karaoke, where I have a designated waiter, sure, I would,always,usually 100 baht.

wx40afp, you are right, they expect it, even if they spend the evening watching the football and not giving you a backwards glance!!

The most annoying thing is how the waiters stand over you and look into your wallet when they bring the check.

Quote Originally Posted by Raksiam
    The most annoying thing is how the waiters stand over you and look into your wallet when they bring the check.

You are so right, I say, "its for bills you know,its not all mine!" not that it cuts any ice!

I have to agree with Raksiam's method which very closely resembles my thoughts on tipping.
    I must admit I have parted with the odd 500 or 1000 bht note when service has been above and beyond, so to speak. (No not talking about bar boys or masseurs.)
    I've never had a waiter stand over me though, how rude!

Liked
    During my first few trips to Thailand, I would tip for even the most appalling service. It would really bother me that the Thais would not understand what they had done wrong and just think I was tight. Now if the service is dreadful, I politely say, 'Sorry, no tip. The service was not good.' That comment has been met with surprise and with apologies, but never anger.

Restaurants that do not include tax or service on the their menu prices annoy me, in any country. It is just a con to make the prices appear lower. I would not leave a tip on principle.

Liked

Tipping for me is a given

But I never over tip, and if they have the Gaul to add it to my check with out asking I certainly don't feel obligated to; here especially, when In Thailand I am much more generous as I want to be remembered as a gentlemen but not in extravagance. In USA I tip 15 % because I know most of them live off that tip.

Here, no one tips but me, I do it because I want to, not because I have to and at all my regular stops I get special service where they know me.

If I think I will never see them again in my life, I still tip. If its rude for me to tip When in Rome ... and so on. I watch to see if others do, if I am not sure. But, in regular places I like to see the smile when they see me come in.

I treat people like I would want to be treated and never over the top. Its Rude and a show off to do so. But when I am a regular to a place I like to chat and they feel comfortable and I am sure they didn't spit on my food before it was sent out. I like to go in and they already know what I order and what I like and how it should be cooked. When I am treated well be sure there is pay back. I like guys who don''t expect it and my bf won't take it for fear I will think he is there for the money. He comes from a good family and his words to me are, "if I need money all I have to do is ask my parents I don't need yours."

If they are rude so am I, if they are kind so am I, its my rule of thumb to stay away from people that are only fair weather friends. If they stick with me through the tough times be sure I am there for them when they need me.

Tipping can be a pleasure or the opposite its up to you as to how you are treated.

Wesley
    All the Best!

Wes

20 or 30 to us is very little but to the waiter of waitress it is a meal. When tipping I usually hand the tip directly to the waiter or waitress giving the service and leave only a small baht tip for the house. In some of the open bars I have seen some of the staff boys go immediately to get some food when I give a tip and I have also watch as some boys stand by and watch others eating when they have no money. When I notice this I always give enought to them to go and eat. One must be aware of how the economy is affecting these poorer people. When i see someone hungry I just can't do nothing. Usually I walk them to a vendor and pay for the food rather than give them money.

I remember a barmaid in Bangkok once told me excitedly that she was going back to somewhere in Issan for vacation to see her family. She had paid for her bus tickets and had bought the family some treats.
    She was a wonderful person, she gives exemplary service, she remembers my name, my Mom's name and what I drink and when I drink it!
    She was taken quite aback when I gave her an envelope which contained enough baht to cover the bus tickets and pay for the "vacation."
    What the hell....she deserved it, every baht of it!
    She still asks my friends in Bangkok how I am and how is my Mom.
    It's that "warm & fuzzy" thing I think.