Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping

Liked

Tipping

Tipping is a complicated process for visitors to Thailand because many of us come from different cultures with different tipping norms.
    The Thais must know that and although there is pressure in some circumstances over tipping, the more used to it you are the easier it is.

Some restaurants, like the Malai Caf├й at the Malaysia Hotel add a 10% service charge to your bill so you donтАЩt really need to tip, especially if you are charging it to your room bill.
    I ate once at a small indoor / outdoor eatery in Nathom Pathom and I left a small tip on the table upon leaving. The waiter (cute as he was) came running after me with the money saying тАЬforget money, forget moneyтАЭ. When I gestured to him that it was a tip for him to keep he gave a huge smile, which switch to a confused look as he returned to the restaurant not quite grasping what the money was for. Tipping changes depending on where you are and what you are doing.
    These small eateries, or eateries out on the street donтАЩt require you to tip unless its like the change in coins.

Restaurants IтАЩll tip 10% - 15% depending on the service, more if itтАЩs friends.
    If I have a group or the service is exceptional, IтАЩll tip in the billfold and direct to the person I think deserved it on the outside or right into their hand discreetly.
    Gay establishments, I generally tip more to even if the service sucks especially if IтАЩm planning to come back again. I would hope leaving a good tip would improve things for the next visit, but this isnтАЩt always the case. Mai Bpen Rai.

Bars are where it gets tricky.
    A lot of money passes hands at the bars and so everyone wants a piece.
    Boys will sit uninvited with you,
    Waiters and hosts will sit with you.
    They expect a tip after for it, even though there probably shouldnтАЩt be.
    If they see you slip some money to someone that helped you.
    Many more will put their hand out.
    If you challenge them on it theyтАЩll smile and tell you theyтАЩre joking.
    Many farangs will pay, not knowing.
    If the host / mamasan helps me with my choice of boy, IтАЩll tip him privately.
    Usually 200 baht or more depending on how well we communicated and how hard he worked.
    IтАЩll give the bar a small tip in the billfold, per slip in my cup.
    IтАЩll slip the waiter 100 baht outside the billfold if I have multiple slips in my cup.
    Nothing if I am only there for one drink.
    Never tip the doormen.
    Okay, I have in fact and have taken some away but thatтАЩs not really a tip but more тАЬyour hotтАЭ moneyтАжmore depending on how hot he is.
    A Happy Ending massage tip should around 500 baht more if you are really happy or want to take it farther later.
    The full meal deal massage, more than just a hand job between 500 тАУ 1000.
    This you can find at Adam & Eve in Pattaya.
    A really short time fling can be the 500 baht minumum including a very disappointing one. This also includes the ones I send home before I ever get them home.
    Most short time events start at 1000.
    The better the bar (high profile like Bozy Boyz Boyz , Throb / Splash but not The Rainbow Bar even though you may like it better The more you pay, especially if you take out on of their main attractions.
    Last year I had the best service ever at Dreamboys, always getting some of the best seats right at showtime, even on the weekend simply because I looked after the host.
    My Boyspecial in Bangkok was a main attraction at X-man Thailand and he was quite happy with 1500. I think he was worth double, but not to spoil him.
    HeтАЩs out of the bar now temporarily.
    Boys that stay with you I generally give 2000 baht / day. That might be high, but I would never let them stay with me unless I thought they were amazing.
    IтАЩll occasionally buy small gifts to the best of the best.
    Boys that I send away before going for some fun a give 500 baht.
    If a boy convinces you to off his friend so you can all go out somewhere,
    You need to give him the minimum 500 baht.

I never tip taxiтАЩs, unless they perform miracles.
    Limousine service on the other hand IтАЩll tip.
    Motorcycle taxiтАЩs? no
    Sawngthaew (Baht Bus)? No
    Bicycle taxis IтАЩll tip, especially an old guy that has to work hard for sure.
    Guides should get 15% or 500 baht / day
    Water taxis, yes.

Door man at your hotel 100 baht in / 100 baht out.
    The maid. 50 тАУ 100 baht / day.
    At the beach I always give the change <100 baht plus 100 baht / day.
    I buy some of the boys a beer from time to time and
    I always put 1000 baht in the tip jar on my last day.
    IтАЩll sometimes tip a beach massage if itтАЩs really good.
    I always tip my regular girl 200 baht on my 600 baht bill.
    I tip the lady that brings me fruit 20 baht some days (not always)

Surely many will disagree, but these are generally my tipping norms.

Chok Dee

Surfcrest

There goes another walking ATM.

Re: Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Gay establishments, I generally tip more to even if the service sucks especially if IтАЩm planning to come back again.
    Surfcrest
    I agree with most of your post with the exception of the above.

Why do you feel the need to discriminate between gay and straight establishments when it is the service provided you are tipping for?

Liked
    One thing to keep in mind about tipping in Thailand ~ and this goes especially for places which are mostly oriented to a Thai clientele ~ is what they do with the tips after you've left. The usual case ~ I'm sure there are exceptions ~ is that the tips are pooled, and then divided up amongst the staff according to the formula established by the owner or manager.

So ... if you have an especially good waiter who has been pleasant, attentive, professional, friendly, charming, or simply bloody stunning (or whatever it is you want in a good waiter) and you'd like to make sure he gets a good piece of the action, you'll have to do things a little differently (Surfcrest alluded to this practice in his opening post, but I'll elaborate):

Place the main tip in the little folder you'll usually receive containing your change, but give less than you'd normally give. Take the extra (or add extra to a normal tip ~ whatever you wish), fold it up carefully so it is a small & unobtrusive thing, and discreetly place it ito his shirt pocket or (better!) into his hand and then close up his hand around it. Give him a big sincere smile (you'll get one back). Words are not necessary ... he/she will know that the entire amount is for him/her alone, and that he's not required to "share".
    Don't do this with great fanfare or drama. Make it a quiet event between yourself and your waiter. Trust me, he'll greet you with a big Thai smile the next time you come back to that place, and the service will be at least equal to the first time, if not better. A win/win situation: Everybody's happy!!

This is an important part of tipping in Thailand.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Re: Tipping

Quote Originally Posted by Surfcrest
    Restaurants IтАЩll tip 10% - 15% depending on the service, more if itтАЩs friends. If I have a group or the service is exceptional, IтАЩll tip in the billfold and direct to the person I think deserved it on the outside or right into their hand discreetly.

Gay establishments, I generally tip more to even if the service sucks especially if IтАЩm planning to come back again. I would hope leaving a good tip would improve things for the next visit, but this isnтАЩt always the case. Mai Bpen Rai.
    I threw this one in for my pal LMTU, our resident gladiator for some thai business owners.
    I've had luck lustre service from some other gay businesses that I've been able to turn around or at least be remembered by the last tips.
    I only discriminate with gay businesses when I choose where I'm going, I generally frequent gay or gay advertised places (with some exceptions) no matter what city / country I'm in.

Surfcrest

Liked: 1

Hey Big Spender!

If it was not written by Surfcrest, I would say it was a troll. What can one say? well he has a generous heart and deep pockets.

Though the subject is a minefield, I find it fascinating, curious and a mystery why people, throw their money around as they do - and this includes myself. Even more of a mystery to me is how some can be mean to delighful Thai people. There is a longish trail on this topic on GayThailand entitled Farang Logic thought that's mainly on 'tips' for a shag.

There seems to be a complete inability for many to adjust their tips to the country that they are in and the tipping culture there. Americans seem to be particularly prone. My theory is that one should, on receipt of good service, be generousl according to the local culture. That maskes for happy staff and happy customers. In the US one tips 15 - 20% in a restaurant as that's the culture and the basic wages are low. In New Zealand it is not the custom to tip in a restaurant as they are reasonably paid. To tip on top of an added service charge seems ludicrous unless the service has been very exceptional. In Thailand the culture is to leave the small change or a very small tip in tens of bahts not percents.

Some people seem to get tipping and charity mixed up. It would doubtless make the world a better place by donating to very worthy causes instead of tipping staff well.

Like most of us Surfcrest has little logic about his generous tipping. He does not tip taxi drivers which is reasonable as it is not the norm. However, they have not had a rise in the meter tariff since before the rise in fuel prices and must be hurting.

I remember reading an article not long ago - but where? - on tipping and it read " the stupified doorman who has just received a bt100 tip is saying to himself. bemused. but all I did is open the door!". I used just leave the small change but now I make sure that there is more smalll change.

I am looking forward to other's views.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

I think tipping behavior like Surfcrest's is tipping imperialism.
    Thailand had a very different tipping culture before mass tourism, and now it is corrupted.
    Yes, American's are the worst offenders here, myself included, because I have done my share of "damage".
    It really makes no logical sense to export your country's tipping culture to another country.

Liked
    I was taught how and when to tip by the thai guys I have come to know. And they frown on over-tipping and feel we are showing off when we throw our money around.

I tip but I tip like I am a common worker :geek:
    These are the good'ol days

Liked
    I am curious why you would tip a doorman B100 in and out each but only tip the housekeeper 50-100 when surely s/he is doing a whole lot more work than opening a door. I personally never tip a doorman anywhere. I am not so feeble that I cannot open the door myself. I will thank some one for opening the door for me but that's about all the tip anyone should expect.

Tipping

There is no right or wrong when it comes to tipping, just common sense. Also note that tipping is an option, not a must. There are circumstances that are obviously not as simple as black and white. Use your judgement when deciding to tip or not to tip.

I personally believe in tipping and typically tip well. I also expect service to be extraordinary and deserving a better tip.