List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping in Thailand - What's your policy on tips?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Tipping in Thailand - What's your policy on tips?

What's your policy on tipping service staff in Thailand? I mean, restaurant waiters, bar tenders (non gogo bars), taxi drivers, porters and such.

In some countries, such as the US, wages for service staff factor in large tips in such a way that gives them a very low base pay, which is heavily supplemented by their tips (i.e. they earn more in tips than in wages). The problem is a lot of Americans FORGET most of rest of the world doesn't work this way (not meaning to pick on them).

As I understand it, in Asia, you DON'T tip for stuff as you would in the US. You might round up for the taxi driver or add a tolken tip to a restaurant bill but you don't add a 10-15 or 20% tip unless there's a special reason or the service has been exceptional and outside of what's expected. You don't tip a bar tender. You usually don't tip restaurant waiters.

The practice in Asia is you tip to get something done better/faster (i.e. you need a favour) OR when someone's gone out of their way to provide exceptional service to you. Otherwise, tips are appreciated, but not necessary.

Some tourists give large tips because everything's already so cheap for them so the amount is negligible. Good for them and this is usually appreciated gratefully. But if you do this, keep in mind that in Asia, "overpaying" or "over tipping", unless done by someone of high stature (e.g. a wealthy business man or celebrity) is usually seen as a sign of weakness and stupidity.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Tipping in Thailand - What's your policy on tips?

in Asia, you DON'T tip for stuff
    You usually don't tip restaurant waiters
    So why do some restaurants add a "Service Charge"?

I think you will find that locals dont tip but foreigners are "expected" to as they do so in their own countries.
    Bit like the double pricing for foreigners maybe?

Aren't bar waiters supposed to rely on it as part of their income?

Im not saying its right, I would rather keep the money for another beer!

Liked

I tip 10% in restaurants, perhaps more if extra service or cute waiter. Nothing cheap about Fran├зois! I know Australians are used to a "thanks heaps, mate" and 0% tip.

I would assume but dont quote me on this because it is only an assumption, that the service staff here in Asia are also paid very little or as little as the establishment can get away with. thus the tips can be extra slush money for the restaurant, or maybe they dont give them all of it and stick some in their pockets or as I said, pay less. This would be only a guess.
    :dontknow: :dontknow:

Liked

In restaurants - depends what mood I'm in between no tip and 10%.
    In bars for drinks the same.
    Taxi - round up to the next ten baht.
    Porters, cashiers at 7-11, street food vendors: no tip.
    Gogo boys - that's material for another tread.

Liked

I think it is much up to my mood and the situation when I am in Thailand.

When in a restaurant eating alone, I sometimes leaves the coins, sometimes I take the coins, and leave 20 tbh + more or less.
    In some restaurants where I know the owners, and the owner brings me the bill, they sometimes give me change back so it is impossible for me to tip.

Sometimes the waiter, also in bars, gives me back so many coins and small notes, so I feel they hope I am confused.

But normally I would leave 10% for a dinner, but in a strange way it depends on....I do not always know.
    If I eat in the street or in this very "local" foodplaces I would never tip, it is not expected, even from a farang.

In a bar, and now I do not talk about host or gogo bars, in BKK, I almost tip when I get money back from the bill, depending on how much I have been drinking and on how much i like the service and the waiter.
    Sometimes, if the waiter is known to me, I give the tip in his hand, then he dont have to share it with all the others working in the bar. I am sure the rules can be different.

In discos where you pay for the drink when you order, and I know the bartender, I will normally tip 20 bth for the first and second round. It is enough for me to get thunderdrinks even in the 3 or 4 round, at least.

Bellboys who carry my luggage to my room and maids I normally tip 20 bht, if I have the note.

Taxis in BKK, it depends of their skills. From the airport I will not tip if I have a feeling he is trying to make "games" with me.
    Opposite I have also been given 30 to 50 bht, because the driver was very helpfull in any way and was driving the best short route.
    In the "inner" circles of BKK: If I have the correct amounts in notes or coins, I will pay what is on the meter, if I dont have, well let us say the meter says 47 bht I will give 50, but many times it also happens to me, if I dont have the change, that the driver will say "just give me 45, no problem", even on the meter.

As I said, it all depends, but what I try to do, is to look a what the locals do, and then as a farang, if you feel like it, do it a littlebit bigger.

I did the same in New York, when I was in the bars and restaurants, do like the lokals,( but I did not made it bigger) even if I am not used to tip so much, as in the US, in my homecountry.

Liked

The one group of people I always tip are the chambermaids in the hotels and guesthouses I stay in. In my experience they are very conscientious in the job they do, they look after you. They are right down there at the bottom of the "regular" pay scale and I get the impression most people give them nothing. 100 or 200 baht is hardly going to break my bank, and it's a lot of money to them.
    Also, in hotels, maybe 20 baht a bag to the bus boy. Maybe 50 baht or so now and then to the security guard, if the hotel has one.
    In the bars - 20 or 40 baht to the waiter at check bin time. If you actually want the money to go to the waiter who served you, put the money in his hand. Anything you leave in the folder often ends up in some sort of pool system. Mamasans - usually nothing, unless I have actually asked for their help, which I usually don't.
    In restaurants - depends on where I am. Up to 10% in Pattaya, Bangkok or Chiang Mai but not more than 100 or so for 2 diners.
    In the Isaan, where I will often eat at a roadside cafe or some such place, tips don't seem to be expected and 10 or 20 baht seems to be gratefully received.
    Taxis (really only use those in Bangkok) 10% or so (which, unless you are coming from the airport is likely to be 10 baht or less). Excluded was the guy who picked me up from Don Muang to go to Pattaya recently. Booked through the guesthouse, he had to ask me where it was. I kind of thought that was his job, and he got nothing.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    The one group of people I always tip are the chambermaids in the hotels and guesthouses I stay in. In my experience they are very conscientious in the job they do, they look after you. They are right down there at the bottom of the "regular" pay scale and I get the impression most people give them nothing. 100 or 200 baht is hardly going to break my bank, and it's a lot of money to them.
    I totally agree about this, but i dont leave 100-200 baht a day, but 20 or 50 baht on the bed every day. On the day where I leave the hotel or guesthouse it can be more.

Liked

Thais generally tip nothing at street places and basic restaurants, the extra change from the bill in slightly better restaurants, and 20 baht TOTAL on any other meal. They don't tip on percentages. This is Thailand. Get a clue. This is not Kansas. Why export your quaint customs, it's arrogant.
    Cunt Pride!

Liked

i let the locals i'm with handle it for me, or tell me what to pay.
    left to my own devices i'll overtip every time. it's like monopoly money
    to me so i tend to forget it's real. i've given 100 baht to the guy in
    the bathroom who gives you a shoulder massage at the urinal not
    realizing i just gave him 3 dollars US. :blackeye: