Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: hiring a motor bike

Liked

hiring a motor bike

What are the requirments regarding licences to hire a small motor bike in pattaya . A friend of mine staying at the hilton went to hire a bike from a place where people staying at the hilton got 10% discount. He showed his uk car licence , and the hire shop said no probs , and let him have one for a few days.. During the next day while out riding he was stopped by the cops , and fined 200bht , as they said his uk driving licence was no good ( not that they could read english so no idea what class of veh he was allowed to drive or ride.) Were they just after tea money or are you not allowed to hire bikes with out a international driving permit together with your own countries licence? If so why are the rental shops allowed to carry on this trade without checking for correct permits to ride. we must of course remeber this is thailand

Re: hiring a motor bike

Actually much to me OWN surprise they are RIGHT !!! I had the very same situation and the Thai cop told me the same and I started explaining about groups and how a full UK licence did allow you to drive a moped etc.....and in a blink he pointed to the groups ( which he knew like the back of his hand by the way and was obviously very used to playing this game) pointed out that the licence did NOT actually cover me - and he was RIGHT albeit I think this was just an admin issue on the licence perhaps !!! BUT the international licence that I also had ( back in my room ) DOES clearly say you are covered and I was SO tempted to go back and say THEREm TIOLD YOU SO ! but of course that would have gotten me no where and he'd of simply thought of another way to get even more out of me.

So, tell your friend to check his own licence and he might get a nasty surprise as the groups all changed a while back and if he's had a new licence in the last few years he too may not be covered, in reality of course it doesn't matter and just smile and pay the fine -but the cop was right and they ALL seem to know this obvious easy loop hope in getting some money out of us.

Oh and to answer your direct question re what are the requirements to hire a bike in my experience the renter generally couldn't care less whether you have the correct or any licenceas all they want is the money for the rental and they know fine well if you have any issues it will be you sorting it out with the police not them, in the past "on street" rental places have varied between have you a licence, fine there you go, to have you a passpost, fine there you go ( and sometimes as you to leave your passport which I generally refuse to do anywhere) and they normally then take a photocopy and everyone's happy, I find if it's your own hotel etc they care even less but again may ask for a copy of your licence for the file etc ( as I think there IS a legal requirement for the rental company to ensure you DO have a licence?) but as to whether it's a "legal"licence ( bearing in mind you can "buy" a Full UK driving licence on Koh Shan road for ┬г20 !) I dont think they ( or the police for that matter) care that much - of course like all things in Thailand it's good like that until something goes wrong and you're in a bad accident etc and they are looking for someone to blame / screw over for money and THEN it might be a BIG / expensive problem, but in my experience you'll have no problem going and renting with your own UK licence and as I said above if you are stopped smile and pay the small fine and drive on.

Liked

Re: hiring a motor bike

I was in Samui about 3 weeks ago before the recent scandalous black-out(electricity), & the hotel where I stayed had motorbikes for rental at 150 baht per day for a new automatic machine(low-season rate; high season 250 baht per day). Nobody asked for my license, & I was lucky not to encounter any BIB, or suffered an accident or other mishap affecting the bike.
    Going around the island on motorbike was fun but can be a little tiring on the back, but was certainly a cheap alternative. arty