List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airport gripes and Thailand travel tips (non-gay-specific)

Airport gripes and Thailand travel tips (non-gay-specific)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=624

And I've been told there's a new gay-friendly guesthouse in the Silom area - Om Yum Lodge, about 50 metres from Chong Nonsi BTS station (same side of the road as the TG office on the corner of Silom and Narathiwat). For those seeking a place with a free Internet connection for their laptop, the coffee shop advertises "Free WiFi". Since it's a guest house there are no elevators, so the higher the floor (there are 4 levels) the lower the price - I am told. As it's very near the BTS and on a busy road, I don't know what, if anything, they've done to limit noise from outside. Perhaps one of our intrepid Forum members will tell us. Don't bother searching for it on the Internet; it's new

I stay at Om Yim Lodge in November, only for one night on my way to Chiang Mai. I had planned to stay at Om Yim again when I returned to BKK after the Chiang Mai trip, but decided to stay somewhere else.
    I requested a room with window on the 2nd floor. The room they gave me had a window facing Narathiwa road, very noisy traffic. The room had a very strong paint odor, and was very hot and air inside is stuffy. Air cond in the room works only if you insert your room key in the air cond slot, inserting paper does not work (unlike Babylon). Because the room is very hot (or perhaps because the air cond is too weak), it takes at least 15 minutes to cool down the room. Room size is small.
    The whole stay is not a good experience. I do not live like this at home, so why should I live in a depressing room with annoying traffic noise when I am on vacation?
    There is a sign outside (no light though), but at night the street is pretty quiet and dark, hence difficult to find this lodge at night.
    Appearently, this small lodge is owned by older male farang(s).

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott123
    I stay at Om Yim Lodge in November, only for one night on my way to Chiang Mai. I had planned to stay at Om Yim again when I returned to BKK after the Chiang Mai trip, but decided to stay somewhere else.
    I requested a room with window on the 2nd floor. The room they gave me had a window facing Narathiwa road, very noisy traffic. The room had a very strong paint odor, and was very hot and air inside is stuffy. Air cond in the room works only if you insert your room key in the air cond slot, inserting paper does not work (unlike Babylon). Because the room is very hot (or perhaps because the air cond is too weak), it takes at least 15 minutes to cool down the room. Room size is small.
    The whole stay is not a good experience. I do not live like this at home, so why should I live in a depressing room with annoying traffic noise when I am on vacation?
    There is a sign outside (no light though), but at night the street is pretty quiet and dark, hence difficult to find this lodge at night.
    Appearently, this small lodge is owned by older male farang(s).
    OK, I've stayed there too, and I'll stay again. We're talking 600 to 900 baht rooms here, folks. The Ritz this doesn't pretend to be. But, it's a very clean and nice place. I understand they've either added or will soon add dual-pane windows which will reduce the noise considerably. I was not particularly bothered by the noise, although the tuk-tuks can be heard if they accelerate going past the hotel.

With respect to the room key insert requirement to get air cond turned on: This is no different than any other hotel I've stayed at in Thailand. I don't stay at 5 star places, so can't talk about them, but, again, we're talking 600-900 baht here. The paint smell is gone now - it was a brand new place when u stayed there. I agree about the outside sign. It's easy to walk past the place at night if you aren't paying attention. It's not a long walk from the Silom bar area, and it's an easy one-stop skytrain ride if you don't feel like walking. It's quite a bit closer to the Silom gay areas than Tower Inn in my opinion.

So, to sum it up: It's a nice, clean place and inexpensive. It's also got free wi-fi, a restaurant, a bar, and it's right at a skytrain station if you want to go to places other than Silom area.

There is a website: http://www.omyimgroup.com/

such a deal!!!

Liked

OM YIM Lodge location??

I was in Bangkok last month,,,I went in front of the sky train station at ChongNonsi...I could not see any sign at all where this lodge is at...There is a Sathorn Inn (think that is the name) down a very small side street, but I did not see the Om Yim lodge, so gave up...Guess I should have looked harder

Quote Originally Posted by jimnbkk
    we're talking 600-900 baht here.
    I absolutely agree, this place only worth this price, not more, not less. You get exactly what you pay for.

With respect to the room key insert requirement to get air cond turned on: This is no different than any other hotel I've stayed at in Thailand.
    At some hotel (Babylone for example), you can "trick" the system by inserting a piece of thick paper or plastic in the air cond slot, and keep the air cond on without your key.

It's also got free wi-fi, a restaurant, a bar,...
    please note that the restaurant also serves as the hotel waiting area. The bar is the checking-in/check-out counter for the lodge, and cashier counter for the restaurant.

By the way, my friend try to call me @ the lodge around 1AM, he tried many times, but nobody @ frontdesk picked up the phone. The night staff (which consists of one thai male) slept on the floor when I walked in after clubbing.

One more thing...the wall and the door of the room is very thin. When I was in the room, I can hear people walking and talking in the hall way.
    When I am in the hall way, I can hear some guy snoring in his room.

To sum up, you get what you pay for.
    I don't stay at Motel 6 when I travel in the U.S. Why would I stay at one while in Thailand. It is just not fun to me.

But every person has his own taste.

Liked: 1

Re: OM YIM Lodge location??

Quote Originally Posted by Blueskytoday
    I was in Bangkok last month,,,I went in front of the sky train station at ChongNonsi...I could not see any sign at all where this lodge is at...There is a Sathorn Inn (think that is the name) down a very small side street, but I did not see the Om Yim lodge, so gave up...Guess I should have looked harder
    From the Thai Airways office on the corner of Silom and Naratiwat, walk along Naratiwat towards Chong Nonsi BTS. Before you reach the stairs to the station, there is a row of shop houses. According to the map, it's in that block ...

http://www.omyimgroup.com/omyimcontactus.html

Liked

OmYim Lodge Open

"To sum up, you get what you pay for.
    I don't stay at Motel 6 when I travel in the U.S. Why would I stay at one while in Thailand. It is just not fun to me.

But every person has his own taste."

That's a really bad comparison Scott. Omyim is a guest house run by a couple of hard working guys who are trying to make a buck. They worked really hard to rehabilitate the building into a hotel. The result is a modern, very nicely furnished guest house that includes all the modern facilites needed. And, at a reasonable price. It's what I call a 'boutique hotel' and it's small size and gay-friendly atmosphere are just what some people look for when they're travelling. Your nasty comments are uncalled for in my humble opinion.

That's a really bad comparison Scott. Omyim is a guest house run by a couple of hard working guys who are trying to make a buck. They worked really hard to rehabilitate the building into a hotel. The result is a modern, very nicely furnished guest house that includes all the modern facilites needed. And, at a reasonable price. It's what I call a 'boutique hotel' and it's small size and gay-friendly atmosphere are just what some people look for when they're travelling. Your nasty comments are uncalled for in my humble opinion.
    All my comments are based on facts: traffic noise, air con key slot, stuffy room air, thin wall/door, paint odor, multi-purpose restaurant and bar, night staff sleeping on floor, unattended phone.
    My comparison between OmYim and Motel 6 is based on the above facts. What's wrong with Motel 6 anyway? some of them even have free breakfast..lol
    There are tons of 'boutique' hotels in BKK if you look on asiarooms.com, they are all very cheap, but you may want to read the reviews of those 'boutique' hotels. Perhaps you don't want to call OmYim a 'boutique' hotel after readign them.
    I am sure the owners of other 'boutique' hotels work very hard too. In fact, I wonder why OmYim put the background history of this thai guy on their website when the owner is actually farang(s). You seem to know the owner quite well, can you tell us more about the farang owner?

One more fact... there is no blanket in the room. You sleep with one thin bottom bedsheet and one thin top bedsheet, and one foam pillow......Motel 6 has a blanket, Babylon Barrack has a blanket. But like you said, OmYim is cheaper in price.

DELETED