Guys,

Aussie has given me a subject, I for one, am definitely interested in, I am not interested in Bar boys and how much nonsense at all, its boring and been overly covered.

I mean for services, other than the obvious, including bell boys, porters, restaurants, Hotel receptions and maids.

Who do you tip??

I definitely tip the bell boy, on arrival and departure as I expect my luggage carrying as I am a lazy bastard.

The maid, I leave a tip when I am leaving. Reception, I usually don't bother, but will if there is a large tip box near where you pay the bill, as some Hotels have to embarrass you into it.

I have never been to Japan, but been advised, not to, as it is impolite. Singapore, the brochures tell you not to, issued by the Government!

I know the protocols in the UK, however, I took my sister and co for lunch to a fairly upscale joint and the service was not up to par.

She snatched the tip out of my hand, whilst the waitress was checking the bill, shook her head, told me off in the car park and returned the tip to me.

Her words were "Tipping is for service, we didn't get any!"

Tam and I would reduce the tip in Thailand,for bad service, but tip anyway and not return.

What do you people do. Amounts are really irrelevant. Also, do you tip when service charge is added to your bill???

I was once told by a waiter that the Hotel only gave them a percentage of the service charge and the Hotel kept the lion's share! Tam said, that was not "our problem"

Because this board has an international membership, I would be interested in all your views please and for my own benefit it would help me know if I am being a bit soft or not.