Saying good night to BangkokтАЩs night bazaar - The Star
THAI TAKES WITH PHILIP GOLINGAI
Tonight may be the last night for a Bangkok institution that ranks among the Thai capitalтАЩs top five tourist attractions.┬а
ON TUESDAY night, a dozen expatriates gathered at a beer garden in Suan Lum Night Bazaar to mourn the uncertain death of a Bangkok institution. ┬а
The tears were for fear the popular Suan Lum Night Bazaar located in the heart of the Thai capital would be bulldozed to make way for a high-rise commercial complex consisting of a shopping mall, offices and hotel. ┬а
According to the organiser of the gathering, Nima Chandler, a 30-something American who manages the well-known Nancy ChandlerтАЩs Map of Bangkok, the lively bazaar is one of BangkokтАЩs top five tourist attractions. ┬а
тАЬThere is something here for everybody тАУ Thais, tourists and expatriates тАУ and you can get things that you canтАЩt find anywhere else,тАЭ said Chandler. ┬а
What you can find in the bazaar are about 3,700 booth vendors hawking products such as wallets, Thai designer clothes, fake Liverpool jerseys, pirated DVDs and papier-mache heads of former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and offering services like fortune telling and massage.┬а
ThereтАЩs also the Joe Louis Traditional Thai Puppet Theatre, La Roue De Paris (French Ferris Wheel) and a beer garden with nightly concerts or sports screenings.┬а....
continued on http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story. ... ai%20Takes

nicked from Gaythailand where BKKvisitor reported this.

Well Suan Lum has not been opened but a very few years. Previously the site belonged to The Thai Army. I do not care for it. There are long rows of concrete little shops selling not much different from Patpong and there is no vibrancy to the place. The open bars and restaurants do seem popular and I have read reports that the food is good and cheap. So yet another Mall, huge Hotel and offices.