Liked

Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel chaing mai

just found this hotel

has great deals 18 euros a night
    looks really nice

does anybody know this place

thanks

Re: Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel chaing mai

While you might find the hotel's location convenient to shopping, transportation & a few gay businesses, it is perhaps three decades past it's prime.

The cheapest prices quoted for it on the reservation websites are for the smallest rooms (of course) in an annex around the corner from the main building. If you do decide to stay there, I would recommend at least spending a little more for a bigger room in the main building.

The last time I stayed there, the favorite Thai princess happened to be staying there for two nights. One elevator was reserved for her and there were a lot of light purple banners and her flag on display.

I think you would consider the rooms for regular people to be adequate & reasonably priced, but just old or run-down.

The swimming pool is very large, but the last time I swam there a guest cut his foot badly on something on the bottom of the pool. On another stay, the pool changed color from clear blue to bright green. It was then closed down & guests could go to the Chiang Mai Orchid pool nearby.

Hope that helps.

Liked

My experience has been much the same--nice, big rooms (in the main building) that are in dire need of redecoration. Moreover, I recall that housekeeping service was extremely slow. Often I returned to the hotel in late afternoon to find my room still not made up. A call to reception usually took care of that problem--but, still, it was a nuisance.

If you check in, inspect the room very carefully before accepting it--especially water pressure and a/c unit. As far as elevators are concerned, there are at least three--maybe four. Lift service was always prompt.

Finally, location is great--especially proximity to the enormous shopping mall next door (via interior access). Also, hotel restaurants are good, and the lobby bar is pleasant. By all means, bargain hard! Suggest upgrade at check-in...

Liked

Old, Very old....... The equally old and ugly shopping mall complex next door has a date scheduled with the wrecking ball within the next couple of years so can't imagine there's anything left in the maintenance and renovation budget :idea1: . It may have been a great old hotel once but has been left behind by the new five stars: Meridien, Shangri-la Chedi, D2, Kantary etc, etc.

18 Euros is about 700Bt; most of the local modern business hotels are around 500 up. They might not be so fancy, but are clean, modern and well run. e.g. the B2 chain which is very popular with those in the know www.b2hotel.com There are two in Chang Puek, with the B2 Green being a few hundred metres from the Lotus Pang Sawan (kinda behind Soho bar).

Or, a little further up Huay Kaew, in the same soi as PJs Place, you can stay at: The Dome Residence for 700Bt low season, 800 Bt High. My personal tip would be the Bungalows at "The Pub", also on Huay Kaew Rd; great value and a great location for 800Bt plus you have your own space.thepubchiangmai.com

(Edit P.S. Forgot to mention, The Pub also has an awesome breakfast. Even has black pudding :notworthy: )
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Liked

Although KSK shopping center (Khad Suan Kaew) is surely old and ugly, it is the only game on that side of town. Many eateries several banks, a supermarket, multiplex cinema, and Central Department Store all make for an interesting cruise. And the place is packed with handsome young Thais, especially in late afternoon and on weekends!

As for Bon Tong's other suggestions, I concur with his recommendations concerning The Pub and The Dome. The Pub, however, is a long walk from KSK and the old city--though handy to the Nimmanhemin area. I prefer The Dome and urge spending a little more money for the deluxe rooms--which are much bigger and more attractive. You can make a reservation at The Dome via their website (Bt.1,000 per night) or booking .com. Compare guest reviews at [i][http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ng_Mai.html/i].

On the same street as The Dome is PJ's Place--pricey, usually full, gay-oriented, and arguably the very nicest place to stay in all of Chiang Mai. Make reservations far ahead of time...

Liked

I like the location; the shopping centre may be ugly but is full of eye -candy and much more interesting than the malls in Pattaya and Bangkok. Furthermore, House of Male is just across the car-park and other gay venues are within walking distance.
    I'm going to Mercure (formerly Novotel) in a few weeks and am paying only ┬г18.00 a night. From what I've seen of the two properties (though I've not stayed in either) there is a huge difference in quality.
    I suggest a good look at Agoda offers before bookings are made; prices in Chiang Mai (and Pattaya too) are low at the moment.

Liked

I always stayed in the Mercure in the last years in the better rooms and it was always cheap. They no more have the good lunch buffets but i got free internet with my platinum card. Once stayed in Lotos PSK in the deluxe wing and i liked my room with view to the big swimming pool.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay