What's your policy on tipping service staff in Thailand? I mean, restaurant waiters, bar tenders (non gogo bars), taxi drivers, porters and such.

In some countries, such as the US, wages for service staff factor in large tips in such a way that gives them a very low base pay, which is heavily supplemented by their tips (i.e. they earn more in tips than in wages). The problem is a lot of Americans FORGET most of rest of the world doesn't work this way (not meaning to pick on them).

As I understand it, in Asia, you DON'T tip for stuff as you would in the US. You might round up for the taxi driver or add a tolken tip to a restaurant bill but you don't add a 10-15 or 20% tip unless there's a special reason or the service has been exceptional and outside of what's expected. You don't tip a bar tender. You usually don't tip restaurant waiters.

The practice in Asia is you tip to get something done better/faster (i.e. you need a favour) OR when someone's gone out of their way to provide exceptional service to you. Otherwise, tips are appreciated, but not necessary.

Some tourists give large tips because everything's already so cheap for them so the amount is negligible. Good for them and this is usually appreciated gratefully. But if you do this, keep in mind that in Asia, "overpaying" or "over tipping", unless done by someone of high stature (e.g. a wealthy business man or celebrity) is usually seen as a sign of weakness and stupidity.