No .. let me start:

(1) Stay far far away from those inclined to start thoroughly patronizing topics disparaging Thais in every manner of over-wrought cliches ... all of which have been raised on most of these gay Thailand Boards hundreds of times, and which elicit the same old clich├йd responses which everyone has read over and over, ad nauseum.

Sorry, I can't think of a second thing I'd rather do.
Over the years I have done both of the apparently horrifying deeds (many times in fact) mentioned above in the OP: never regretting either, never having anything but an enjoyable time, never receiving any negatives from my guy about a good meal in a new place, and never spending large amounts on a visit to the family.

Let's hear it for Thai country families:

My guy at his older brother's home. King looking over shoulder. Was I asked to help in the building costs?: Nada.

His mother ... matriarch par excellence, rock of the family. Number of times I've been asked to 'lend' or give her money?: 0. Confession: I did buy those excellent New Balance running shoes for Pot.

His father (a few years ago), now very sick, in and out of hospital. That's Suphot laughing on the side. Number of times Pot has asked me for money for his father?: 0

Suphot's younger brother about 5 years ago. Baby daughter, around one. Number of times pleas forthcoming for financial help with upbringing?: 0

Suphot's younger brother today. Daughter, around six. Number of times ....? : 0