List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are things getting expensive for Thai's?

Liked

Are things getting expensive for Thai's?

As I start reserving my hotel rooms as well as researching travel costs I have noticed that everything has gone up in Thailand since last year. The rooms have gone up a few hundred Baht a night, I hear the bars have gone up in price and that got me to thinking.... But first, let me walk you through my thought process to avoid any message board attacks.

When I looked at Babylon's room rates, I noticed the prices went up and I wondered how many average Thai guys would be willing to pay the rate asked there. I booked my Condo in Pattaya and there the daily rate went up a few hundred baht. It even looked a if some of the guys who advertise their massage services have gone up in price. Everything is going up and wages are still flat.

I began to wonder.... At the rate drink prices and hotel rooms are going up, what will the price be in 5 years? Will drinks be 600 or 800 baht in a bar? Will the small rooms at Babylon be going for 2800 Baht a night? I am sure that the US Dollar will be hurting for value making the baht something expensive to buy.

But still... The average tourist will be able to withstand the higher prices but what of the average Thai? Are we tourist driving up the prices to the point that we will create hardship for the average Thai citizen?

Is Thailand headed for a hard fall when the tourist money dries up?

Is anyone in the Thai Government worried about the rate of inflation?

Am I just thinking too much?

These are the good'ol days

Liked

Re: Are things getting expensive for Thai's?

You're missing the point bucky - that's not how the Thais think. In America if you get fewer customers you have sale to get higher turnover. In Thailand fewer customers means you put the prices up so that your revenue stays the same. That's Thai thinking for you! If you haven't noticed (and if you're outside Thailand you won't) but Thai businesses quote separate prices - one for Thais, the other for foreigners. For example the Thai price for Grand Diamond Pratunam is around 1600 - 1800 a night including breakfast. For foreigners it's around 2500 a night, no breakfast.

Is Thailand headed for a hard fall when the tourist money dries up?

Is anyone in the Thai Government worried about the rate of inflation?(quote)bucknaway

Tourism represents a piddly 6% of the Thai economy, as exports are at a high.........Perhaps this might help answer your question.

Liked

Man4all seasons - you are absolutely right - the reliance on tourism has fallen dramatically over the last 10 years - the automotive sector, clothes sector and agricultural export sector are booming.

Liked

A perfect example why the Thais are not concerned about tourism is to fly the national carrier internationally.
    Over the last five years or so they have let the service and quality slide to a new low. :glasses7:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Bangkok is cheapest out of top 50 tourist cities worldwide

Don't know about getting expensive for Thais but as far as getting expensive FOR TOURISTS goes, Thailand has a LONG way to go before before it gets expensive!

Seriously, how can ANYONE complain about Bangkok being expensive? Bangkok is as cheap as it gets for major world cities!

1. You land in Bangkok and pay all of about $9 for a door to door taxi ride to your hotel.

2. Your five-star hotel can be as little as $100/night. Or four-stars for $80. A good mid-tier hotel might be less than $60. A livable budget hotel for as little $30-$40. On the other end of the scale, something ridiculously extravagant like the St Regis or Hansar can be had for as little as $260 in Bangkok ($500+ elsewhere).

3. After you check in you can be LAZY and get a cab everywhere and it'll cost you maybe, $3 a ride.

4. Dinner can be as little as under $2 for a nice nice street food meal or the degustation menu at a top restaurant for all of about $45.

5. A beer at your average bar or nightclub is rarely more than $3-$4.

5. Can't remember what I paid for the cinema last time but it started with a "1" (i.e. 100-200 baht = $6 at most)

6. Get a nice massage for as little as $10. ($70-$100 in Sydney, which has been invaded by Thai massage joints)

7. A good haircut is maybe $7 ($40 in Sydney)

8. Do a bit of shopping... designer t-shirts from a local designer are $6 ($50 in Sydney).

Compared to other world cities, Bangkok is just ridiculous.

Tripadvisor agrees. Bangkok was recently rated CHEAPEST out of the world's top 50 tourist cities...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    World's priciest, cheapest cities for travellers named

The least expensive international city was Bangkok, Thailand, with those expenses totaling $US112, with Beijing ($US120), Egypt's Sharm El Sheikh ($US128) and Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur ($US134) also among the cheapest.

Hotel and taxi costs were key factors in determining the cheapest destinations.
    One night in a four-star hotel in Bangkok was just $US86 тАУ compared to over $US300 in six of the ten most expensive world destinations.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-new ... 1ib2y.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liked

The slightly higher costs in Thailand and the dropping Baht don't affect my traveling to Thailand as the ever increasing pricing of flying there. 10 years ago when I first started visiting Thailand, I could fly from Los Angeles on EVA round trip in Premium Economy for about $750 anytime of the year. Same Premium economy ticket on EVA or Thai now days is about $2000 and rising. This has forced me to take one Long vacation in Thailand per year instead of several shorter trips.

Liked

Fuck the Thais, things are getting expensive for Canadians too:

Bleh... and here we go again. Back to me getting pissed off at the ATM every time I go.

Liked

Take a longer view (5 yrs) and the CAN dollar is about median right now.

. . . unlike the US dollar, which gave Americans lots more fun money 5 years ago.

(Love currency whiners)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Smiles,

Have you got one for Sterling handy?

Also Beachy,

I don't know where trip advisor are getting their stats, although I won't argue, but what about Vientiane and Phnom Penn, far cheaper than Bangkok, although not as much fun.............. :laughing3: