Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taylors... Copycat clothes

Liked

Taylors... Copycat clothes

Last year when I was passing a Tailor shop, a Tailor did his usual pitch but then begged to ask me if he could make something for me... Maybe copy something for me.

Now I am packing and came across an old worn-out shirt that use to be a favorite of mine... I am wondering if I should bring it..

Have any of you had clothes copied? was it worth it?

These are the good'ol days

Yep, well worth it judging by compliments my Thai-copy shirts get.

Last trip, my friend had 3 "Armani" suits made for under $300. He was very pleased with the results. I'm Planning on having a suit done for the first time in November.

Let me guess: your buddy wears black socks with sandals, and the closest he's ever been to Italy is the spaghetti-and-meatball special at the Olive Garden.

Re: Taylors... Copycat clothes

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    Have any of you had clothes copied? was it worth it?
    I had an old padded winter jacket which was a favourite but was getting threadbare with age/use. The style and make were no longer available. I had it copied in Thailand. It cost me 1600 Baht and you could not tell the difference between the copy and the original, apart from the wornout look of the original. Excellent value. Unfortunately that tailor had to give up his business because the lease on his shop ran out - he moved to Bangkok.

I also had a safari type jacket made from a photo I took out of a magazine but with slight modifications, to my design, in the pocket arrangement and the addition of a cell-phone pocket. Again the end product was excellent. That was done at Supranee tailor (opposite Pattayaland Soi 3 (Boyztown)). Cost - 1200 Baht.

Most of the tailors will be able to copy clothes from the original or from photos - you just have to shop around a bit, and barter, to get the best price.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by boygeenyus
    Let me guess: your buddy wears black socks with sandals, and the closest he's ever been to Italy is the spaghetti-and-meatball special at the Olive Garden.
    That was kind of mean. But, it made me laugh out loud because I was thinking the same thing.

Recommended in BKK

I've used "JR Tailor" on Silom Rd.. Good quality and reasonable prices. He's across from the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store close to the place that sells buns.

I've also been told that the Chinese tailors are generally better than the Nepalese tailors. Don't know if it's true but this guy is Chinese and very good. Speaks good English, too.
    ajarntrade

Re: Recommended in BKK

Quote Originally Posted by ajarntrade
    I've used "JR Tailor" on Silom Rd.. Good quality and reasonable prices. He's across from the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store close to the place that sells buns.

I've also been told that the Chinese tailors are generally better than the Nepalese tailors. Don't know if it's true but this guy is Chinese and very good. Speaks good English, too.
    ajarntrade
    Nepalese or Chinese, the suits are made at the same back-alley sweat shops. I've never seen a cheapo Thailand suit that looked like anything other than a cheapo Thailand suit. Now, spend $1,000 for a Thailand custom suit...then you're talking. But $100? No, sorry.

Re: Recommended in BKK

Quote Originally Posted by ajarntrade
    .... I've never seen a cheapo Thailand suit that looked like anything other than a cheapo Thailand suit. Now, spend $1,000 for a Thailand custom suit...then you're talking. But $100? No, sorry.
    I absolutely agree. Twice I got so attempted, put down deposit (50%=$50 each time), fitted many times, but in the end, taylors were not able to correct all the problems they made. So I gave up, and lost my deposit.

Liked

He hates everyone, but I don't care ....

Quote Originally Posted by CHAOTOU
    " ... That was kind of mean. But, it made me laugh out loud because I was thinking the same thing.... "
    You think that was mean?? :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Give yer head a shake ... that's a zero on the 'Scale of Mean' for our Boy.
    The BoyGenii is the Leona Helmsley of Sawatdee Forum: being perpetually in denial, he thinks of himself as the conscience of the board . . . but in fact he beats the cleaning lady and cheats on his taxes.

But everyone has their little faults ~ The Boy takes no prisoners and is a joy to behold when 'on song'.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand