Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental surgery available in LOS

Liked

Dental surgery available in LOS

My friend who is coming to Thailand in July, had been expecting root canal work from his dentist before leaving OZ.

Tonight he tells me it is more serious and he needs an inplant. Very Fucking expensive. He asked if there was high quality dental facilities in LOS. I am not excited in talking medical or dental procedures. But he asks the following.

Should he consider an inplant in Thailand and if so how long would recovery be. Any ideas of costs?

His email said he has googled and the Pattaya/ Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya is highly recommended.

Does he need a referral like he does here in OZ. Does he have to book in advance on the internet to get his inplant
    whilst in Pattaya. What is the recovery time. Is there a waiting time for his operation????

I need a drink !

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Dental surgery available in LOS

- Bangkok Pattaya Hospital would probably do a good job but if it were me I'd go to BNH on Convent Soi in Bangkok.

- Implants cost more than US$1,000 here.

- First the bad tooth must be extracted. Maybe he could do that in Thailand and save the implant (which covers at least 3 weeks) for when he's returned home.

Liked

LW - your friend also needs to check his travel insurance. Most standard policies are invalidated if one of the purposes of the trip is to have medical treatment of any kind. That would be a problem if, for example, he got an infection after having an implant done. It's not likely, but it's not unheard of either.

He has two months to go before he visits - ample time, surely, to e-mail any number of dental surgeries in Thailand who would be able to answer all his questions in detail, with accurate information and details, prices, etc - something he may well not get here. Maybe he needs a brain implant instead.

By the time one has paid the air fares, hotel costs, day to day living costs, it might be wise to pay the extra and get it done in Australia. There are lots of pros and cons, and arsing about. I'd stick to my "home" country.

Liked

I would use Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital without hesitation if I required an implant or similar surgery.

Liked

Another amazing and thoroughly useless post by gonefishing

It is less than 24 hours since he was told about the inplant. Cost estimate about 250,000baht

A few hours later over a drink we discussed whether it would be possible to have the inplant done whilst he was on his preplanned holiday.

For those who have given recommendations thanks and he will I am sure email. We asked for information not patronizing comment. To whitedesire his holiday has been booked and paid for.To gonefishing as the brain transplant obviously did not work for you, I am sure he will give that a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing
    He has two months to go before he visits - ample time, surely, to e-mail any number of dental surgeries in Thailand who would be able to answer all his questions in detail, with accurate information and details, prices, etc - something he may well not get here. Maybe he needs a brain implant instead.
    Yeh! Nobody should ask for any advice on anything on this forum. What on earth were you thinking? That this is some friendly place where mates exchange recommendations?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    LW - your friend also needs to check his travel insurance. Most standard policies are invalidated if one of the purposes of the trip is to have medical treatment of any kind. That would be a problem if, for example, he got an infection after having an implant done. It's not likely, but it's not unheard of either.
    Thank you ceejay he is going to check that out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 555
    Yeh! Nobody should ask for any advice on anything on this forum. What on earth were you thinking? That this is some friendly place where mates exchange recommendations?
    What I was thinking, 555, is that asking for detailed medical information ("recovery times, waiting times", etc) for any condition with so many variables as this is, quite simply, both stupid and pointless (as, coincidentally, are so many of his questions made on behalf of his friends).

A very brief "Google" (dental implant thailand) shows, for example, that claimed recovery times vary from "teeth-in-an-hour" to "immediate function" to "a few weeks" to "6 months". Costs given for a single implant at the places named vary from 20,000 to 200,000 baht.

While the information given may, as is often the case with medical advice here, be well meant it may also be misleading and totally incorrect ( with the exception of the point on medical insurance by Ceejay, which is useful and which no hospital is likely to mention).

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    5 May:"His email said he has googled" ..... 6 May:"over a drink we discussed .....he will I am sure email"
    You would appear to have had one drink too many.