Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ajarntrade is leaving Thailand

ajarntrade is leaving Thailand

The time has come for me to depart Thailand. My reasons being:

1. The heat and humidity are killing me. I thought that over time I would aclimatize... I have not. I'm tired of having to take 3, 4 or even 5 showers a day. I'm tired of being hot and sweaty all day, every day. I'm fat and I'm diabetic and I just can't take it any more.

2. I don't want to work FOR Thai people any more. I have no problem working WITH Thai people but working FOR them drives me CRAZY. They have no concept of how to manage foreigners in the work place. Their way of circuitus communication is supposed to decrease conflicts but it usually only serves to create confusion. Their insistance that I wear a long sleved shirt and neck tie when it is 36C out with 97% humidity to work every day is unreasonable. Their management style is usually such that you don't work WITH a Thai manager... you work FOR a Thai manager and they expect you to be like the Thais and never express your opinion or disagree with them on anything, just shut up and do what you are told to do. Don't think too much... don't think at all. I've done it for 3 years now and I'm finished. Thailand is a great place to visit, it's even a great place to live if you can get used to the weather and you don't have to work here; But Thailand is a TERRIBLE place to have to work.

I've accepted a teaching position at a university in Mexico City. Mexico City is 7000 feet above sea level and in the desert so it's cooler with little or no humidity at all. Yes, terrible pollution but I'll be in the northern part of the city and it can't be much worse than I've had living here in Sathorn, downtown Bangkok.

I wish you all good luck, happiness and safe adventures. I'll check in now and then and will be back for holidays at times.

Wish me luck,

ajarntrade
    Ernest

Liked
    I know you have researched this thoroughly but why Mexico, a Catholic and homophobic country? Hope you're not forced to live a closeted lifestyle. Even the gay resorts like PV pale in comparison to the LOS. Curious what kind of job you had in Thailand. Best of luck in your new adventure!

Why Mexico?

Mexico City has a thriving gay scene. Though I will have to be less "out" while I am living there, I have never not answered the question, "are you gay?" honestly. If I'm asked, I tell the truth, " Yes, I am a great big homosexual." And I usually use those exact words.

What did I do for work in Thailand? I taught English in Thai high schools. I've never taught in a language school, I've always only worked in regular high schools. My last school paid about 60,000 baht plus 5000 more for housing. Pretty damned good for Thailand. Most language schools pay 35, 000 to 40,000 at best. My life here has been very enjoyable expect for the 2 things I mentioned before.

ajarntrade

Adios amigo!

Arjantrade, how sad after all the effort you have put into it to make a go of things. Is your condition such that you cant loose weight? Because if you did you wouldn't sweat so much and the humidity and weather wouldn't get so over-bearing. As for the other reason why not just change jobs. There must be many schools out there to choose from.

Mexico and the Catholics are surprisingly Gay. Its not the Thai gay style, where you can walk down the street and be yourself and people will like you for doing just that, its more married men pretending to be straight and closet experimental teenagers believing they are bi-curious but gay as Madame Edith. The out and out types are seen as perverts and given your size you will not be able to hide this easily. Though Mexico city is a big place, that's for sure.

I wish for your own sake you would re-consider.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Viva Le Mexico!!!

Ajarntrade,

Life is good where ever you choose to hang your hat if you have an open mind...positive attitude...and know what you want, and I'm sure you'll do just fine in Mexico.

I love Mexico City, although have only been there on business with very little time to explore the pink lights. I do recall the sizzling Zone Rosa as having more good looking guys than any other strip on the planet, and the restaurants are fabulous...my favorite being Los Valentines with their festive Mariachi, smooth-as-glass tequila and young waiters storing those plump limes in the crease of their Ricky Ricardo style white pants.

Having friends who work in Thailand, I've observed their general lifestyles and attitudes over time, and there seems to be a transition that they go through...from feeling vibrant and grandiose about working in their own playground...to appearing a bit depressed for some unexplainable reason. Maybe it's the heat - maybe it's the cultural differences, who knows, - but it seems to take hold of many, if not most farangs over time.

Having said that, another advantage of residing somewhere else is having the opportunity to return to LOS as a holiday goer, where all those exciting feelings of the early days will return in all their glory.

Good luck in Mexico, and don't for a minute think you can escape US.

mai pen rai

Vic

Liked: 1
    We wish you luck as we wave you goodbye.
    Cheerio - there you go - on your way.
    Not a tear - but a cheer - make it gay.
    Give me a smile I can keep for a while
    In my heart while you're away.
    Till we meet once again - you and we

After the lyrics by Harry Parr-Davies
    popularized by Lancashire's very own Gracie Fields

Good luck in your Worldwide hunt for happiness.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

60,000 bT high school

surprised to read 60,000 bT for a regular high school, but guessing they are not air conditioned + all the STUDents body heat must be tremendous all day. But It's good to hear for all of us that have been considering teaching whatever over there, what our own outcome might eventually be.

Liked
    Mexico City is wonderful. Way more cultural and historical than Bangkok. Climate is near perfect.........perpetual spring. Pollution is much better than before and yes northern DF has less than southern. Metro bus and Metro very efficient ( 15 baht)Gay scene centered around Zona Rosa is vibrant with bars discos and cafes. Within that area lots of hand holding and affection displayed. Very littleof a commercial scene and very few gringo tourists. One downside is crime and most residents have been impacted somehow. Personally in a dozen trips I have never experienced any.

Have fun Ajarntrade

I hope I'm not prying, but how are you leaving it with your very handsome Thai bf?

Liked

Bf

Hi AjarnTrade
    As BG asks above the first thought that sprung to my mind was that you must have had a falling out with ur Bf and this was reason no.3 for leaving (or maybe the principal reason for leaving?)

As someone who is in a Long-Term-Long-Distance relationship (theres one for the Colonel!) I think its always a shame when Farang-Thai relationships break up... I do hope the 2 of you are departing on good terms...

How easy is it for a thai to get a Mexican visa?
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!