List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do you start to feel sad about leaving Thailand?

Liked

When do you start to feel sad about leaving Thailand?

One week ago I started to give some thought to my departure from Thailand in 2 weeks time and started to feel quite sad about the prospect of leaving. I have a long list of mundane, routine things that need to be done before I leave. And IтАЩve already notified my neighbours, who look after my mail and check that everything is ok with my UK apartment, of my return date. They also, very kindly, buy some basic food stuff and a sunday newspaper for me.

And, unusually for me, I have not bought a return ticket and am not sure when IтАЩll be back. Normally I return to Thailand before the end of August because thatтАЩs when my visa expires, but I expect to receive some further surgery in the UK and cannot say with any degree of certainty when any medical treatment will take place. So I didnтАЩt buy a return ticket.

Moreover, this has proved convenient for me because IтАЩve wanted to delay my return date to sometime later in the year anyway, say to October/ November. I mentioned this to the immigration officer last August and she told me that I can simply enter Thailand on a normal 30 day tourist visa and pay a 2,000 Baht fine for the late renewal of my visa. That seemed reasonable to me, I just hope she was right!

Then it occurred to me that perhaps the average length of holiday/vacation by forum members is probably in the 2-3 week range and I doubt therefore that any of you start to worry about leaving 3 weeks before you are due to depart.

I would therefore like to ask the following questions:

1. How long do you normally spend in Thailand each year?

2. How often do you visit Thailand?

3. And at what point in your holiday/vacation do you start to feel sad about having to return home?

Remember: Coughs and sneezes spread diseases

Liked

Re: When do you start to feel sad about leaving Thailand?

I tend to come three times a year, initially for 30 days, but my next trip is for 7 weeks. And in autumn I usually mix my visit with another country, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos ....
    and stay 2/3 weeks before in LOS and 3/4 weeks after.
    I usually think that I have plenty of time left until 7 days before departure !

Liked

Well i useually make three trips per year with my thai partner,we useually spend between 14 and 21 days per trip, we tend to visit different areas,and always try and visit his family in Surin, useually have a week to 10 days in Pataya ,a couple days in Bangkok,might go to chaing mai or Phucket for a few days .Its always said to leave ,wish i was fortunate enough to beable to stay ,But having to still work,and still under 50 years old ,we have to return,I am lucky my partner lives in the Uk with me ,we had a civil partnership a couple years ago,so at least we can live together, he will get his british citizenship later this year which will make life much easier has far has travelling goes to other countries, but we both enjoy thailand ,and hope to be able to move there one day .We will proberly buy a property there in the next 18 months ,not quite sure where yet,but its something we both want to do .
    We will be back in june for 3 weeks ,so can not wait .

i've been 3 times in the last year...usually stay for 4 weeks..but last time 6 weeks..going back in may for 4 weeks

i get sad a few days before i leave cause my bf is there and i'm appart from him for about 4 or 5 months

so we chat every day online so it dont feel so bad

I used to come for about 3 weeks at a time every other month) for the first few years and then increased it to 5. Then it was 6 weeks. At first I would think I would be so bored. When I would get home all I would do to keep me busy was to plan the next trip.

Then I got here 2 years ago and have not been home since!

Liked

I go to Thailand at least three times a year but only spend a few days to a week or two at a time there, it used to be longer but the rest of Asia has opened up with such gusto primarily China and India that there simply isn't much time anymore for anything longer.

I get sad when the car picks me up for the airport, everything is always such a blur of interest and activity I dont have time to get sad earlier. Its that sudden lull of no return sitting in the car speeding dangerously towards a departure wishing you could light up a hastily "borrowed" cigarette before ripping out the stereo system and throwing it out the window.

Light headache and instant nostalgia.

Liked

I visit once (occasionally twice) a year, for 3 weeks if I can. I usually start to feel sad the night before I go getting packed ready for the morning and I often don't have the heart even for a quick last trip round the bars. I pick myself up when I get home by starting to plan the next trip.
    I hope the medical treatment goes well, Jellybean, and that you can get back soon.

Liked

It's the night before I leave that does it for me. I usually have an evening flight back home, so I spend the morning on Beach Road having breakfast, before the final packing. Since I can only manage one trip a year these days, I'm like ceejay and start planning my next trip as soon as I get home.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Liked

Sorry to be the odd one out so far, but after a four week stay I am usually quite happy to return to Europe. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoy my trips to Thailand (about 60-70 since 1993). But I long ago got over the "wouldn't it be great to live there full time" syndrome and now regard the country as one of my favourite holiday destinations, though one that I am quite happy to leave after a month's rest and recreation.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

I am same as Marsilius, can't wait to leave after two months. I feel sad the day after I return home.