Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Impact of current political situation

The Impact of current political situation

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_new ... ?id=130563

Good Article to read and make our views, particularly about the declining tourist arrivals. Now that the toursit arrivals are low and the low season is lower than before, what should be the over-night stay pay for the boy. Will this affect the boys and how do they normally react/behave in these market situations?

Liked

pattaya dead?

Just been chatting to my man in Pattaya and he has said it is dead = he works for one of the Transvestite show companies and said they have cut there number of shows from four to two daily at the moment as it is so quiet.

Question to those resident there - is it really that bad?

In those circumstances I should imagine the "boy business" could reach desperate levels, but I don't believe it is right to take unnecessary advantage of the situation, and if I were in that market I would still offer what I would normally do at any other time.

You are a good human being. I would do the same or more if not

Liked
    It hardly seems right to take advantage of a worldwide economic slowdown by cutting back the tip one gives. The boys are also having to contend with higher food prices, etc. I'll be my usual generous self when there at the end of next week (sorry to keep mentioning that).
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

Quote Originally Posted by thanatorn
    Hi thanatorn, in answer to your question, I believe it's worse. In my years as a resident here, approaching a decade and a half, although the past few years have been bad, I believe that the current low season is unprecedented to any I have experienced previously, in relation to how few tourist's there are around. However, I don't believe the reason for this has got anything whatsoever to do with the current political situation, as the very low number of people that there have been around this year, was a situation that existed long before the turmoil currently going down in Bangkok had even started.

For those ex pats residing in Pattaya that don't watch any news relating to Thailand, or bother reading about it in the newspapers, of which I believe there are a greater number than many would imagine, those guys wouldn't even be aware of what is taking place in Bangkok at present. Even for those of us that are aware, we are totally unaffected, as there is absolutely nothing happening here nor has there been, to give even the slightest indication of the trouble.

From what I understand from the friends I have in Bangkok, along with the posts I have read of the members here that reside in Bangkok, I am led to believe that apart from the immediate area around government house and a couple of other places close by, they have been pretty much allowed to continue with their lives, with very little change, if any at all, from the ones which is normal for them.

I have my own opinion/s as to why the tourist numbers are so drastically low this year, but don't believe as I said earlier, that the political situation in Bangkok has any bearing on those numbers whatsoever, not even in the slightest. The number of tourist in low season has been falling for the last three years, certainly in Pattaya anyway and during that first year, when the declining numbers were really noticeable for the first time in comparison to all previous years, the most often heard thing one could hear being said by bar owners and ex-pats alike, was: how low that particular first year was and how they had never known a low season like it. They were also pretty much unanimous in agreeing with each other, how it would be pretty much nigh impossible, for any of the following low seasons, to be anywhere near as bad as that one had been.

Unfortunately and to the surprise of most, in the two years following, not only has it got worse, but it has done so to the extent, that the current low season makes that one three years ago, look like high season in comparison. Is that last statement an exaggeration on my part? I honesty don't believe that it is. However, if any of my fellow ex-pats here in Pattyaya believe that it is, one thing is for sure, they wont be slow in telling me.

Choc Dee thanatorn, I hope your forthcoming vacation will be a great one and I am sure it will be, as after all, there is not one solitary thing in any of what I have said above, that should prevent it from being so.

George.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by George
    Hi thanatorn, in answer to your question, I believe it's worse. In my years as a resident here, approaching a decade and a half, although the past few years have been bad, I believe that the current low season is unprecedented to any I have experienced previously, in relation to how few tourist's there are around. However, I don't believe the reason for this has got anything whatsoever to do with the current political situation, as the very low number of people that there have been around this year, was a situation that existed long before the turmoil currently going down in Bangkok had even started.

I have my own opinion/s as to why the tourist numbers are so drastically low this year, but don't believe as I said earlier, that the political situation in Bangkok has any bearing on those numbers whatsoever, not even in the slightest. George.
    Of course the political uncertainty is having an effect on the number of arrivals. Phuket has seen a 50% reduction in arrivals, not helped by airport closures and train strikes. Pattaya is seeing large cancellations by Asian and Eastern Europeans as well as to a lesser extent Western Europeans. The prognosis for the high season is poor, with many countries posting some sort of travel advisory against travelling to Thailand.
    The gay economy does not exist in isolation and a significant reduction in tourist arrivals in Pattaya will impact the total economy. Many boys working in bars have friends as well as girl/boy friends working outside of the gay areas. This will see their dual income fall and no doubt less boys available in bars, discos and on the beach etc.
    Yes, you maybe right low seasons have steadily been getting worse over the last few years but then the number of new bars seems to have increased with new areas such as Jomtien and 3rd Road between Central and North Road. The latter catering to gays and straits but mostly Asian customers.
    Watch out for more widespread strife with interrupted electricity supplies more airport closures etc. etc. if Samak returns to power. Why would anybody risk coming to Thailand for their annual vacation if this power vacuum continues?
    Being gay can be such a pain in the ass

Quote Originally Posted by puckered_penguin
    Why would anybody risk coming to Thailand for their annual vacation if this power vacuum continues?
    Because we love Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by George

I have my own opinion/s as to why the tourist numbers are so drastically low this year, but don't believe as I said earlier, that the political situation in Bangkok has any bearing on those numbers whatsoever, not even in the slightest. George.
    Of course the political uncertainty is having an effect on the number of arrivals. Phuket has seen a 50% reduction in arrivals, not helped by airport closures and train strikes. Pattaya is seeing large cancellations by Asian and Eastern Europeans as well as to a lesser extent Western Europeans. The prognosis for the high season is poor, with many countries posting some sort of travel advisory against travelling to Thailand.
    Hi puckered_penguin, I don't dispute any of what you have said above and have no reason to doubt, that what you say about the prognosis for the coming high season to be anything other than true. However, the main point I was trying to get across with regard to the current political situation, was by saying in my post:

I believe that the current low season is unprecedented to any I have experienced previously, in relation to how few tourist's there are around. I don't believe the reason for this has got anything whatsoever to do with the current political situation, as the very low number of people that there have been around this year, was a situation that existed long before the turmoil currently going down in Bangkok had even started.

If you reside in Pattaya, which by your comments in your post it would appear that you do, would you disagree with what I have said above?

Cheers,

George.

Watch out for more widespread strife with interrupted electricity supplies more airport closures ... if this power vacuum continues?
    Mind-boggling

The main reason for the low season drop in tourist numbers was the failing ecomomies of the US, UK, and Europe. People feel poorer because their properties have fallen in valure, they are poorer because mortgage repayments have gone up and inflation outstrips wage rises, and they feel less secure because unemployment is starting to rise. On top of all that, the cost of getting to Thailand has increased enormously.

The political turmoil will only start to have its real impact now. People buy tickets/book package holidays well in advance. That is to say, in terms of the Thai high season, the timing of the current troubles could scarcely be worse. People sick of the cold, wet English August might well be thinking of a winter holiday. Now they're likely to look elsewhere. Urgent measures are needed now to promote Thai tourism (like reducing landing charges at BKK). But with no effective government, such measures are unlikely to come.

That said, the so called sex tourists to Thailand are more resilient than most. They have more reason to cum.