Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Current and on-going situation in Bangkok (airport/pattaya)

Liked

Current and on-going situation in Bangkok (airport/pattaya)

I realise there is an excellent very informative thread for those not up to speed with Thai politics and some 'on the spot' reports started by "Ikarus" (this time may be different) . But I just want to find out specific updated info about getting around the kingdom without the Political discussions.

Hopefully there are members in Bkk and Pattaya who can update with their experiences there. I arrive in Thailand in a few days, at one time I would only need to check out this Board for all the info I need as most of the relevant posts were centred here, but nowadays you have to check round all the Boards to get snippets of updated/current info due to the base of regular, trusted and reliable contributors, while logging on to read, don't seem to be posting in the numbers as before.

The only stuff I've booked in advance is a quick stop in Bkk on arrival and an initial 3 night short stay in Jomtien (for a change) to meet up with my long time Thai friend who lends me his vehicle for travelling around Thailand, and later a stay in Mosaik Pattaya. The rest of the trip we'll just pick up accommodation as we go. I've booked Ballys Silom (now changed to D Varee Diva)for Bkk and so far I am just going to go ahead and stay there, they have offered to cancel/postpone my booking at no cost if circumstances change.

Just a bit of practical info requested. Is Soi Jeepoon (forget correct name) still open from Suriwong side? If so I'll just use that soi to get dropped off by the taxi to get to Ballys.

From what I can see looking around the various Boards there seems (atm) to be no problems with the Airport situation for meeting pre-arranged taxi. But what about route to suriwong/silom and route central-bkk to Pattaya? I also assume there is no real disruption to routes to the North East via Navanakorn, Saraburi, Korat. Khon Kaen?

Any recent updates appreciated.

Liked

Re: Current and on-going situation in Bangkok (airport/patta

Best coverage of the current situation seems to be on gaybuttonthai.

Soi Jeepoon = Soi Thaniya is open on both sides, and not with the Rama 4 end of Silom blocked and Rama 4 blocked, it is used to go from Silom to Surawong, last time I passed (a few days ago at night), there is was full of cars in traffic jam (but only in Silom to Surawong direction).

No disruption to NE, as far as I can tell. Protests at Chaengwattana Government building affect only East-West, but not North-South traffic.

Check here for updates (you can chose language English or Thai) http://vdevhostnetdemo.com/mot

A state of emergency for Bangkok was announced yesterday, Hong Kong responded by raising its travel advisory to the highest Don't Even Think About Travel to Thailand level. Such a recommendation would invalidate many travel insurance policies if followed by other countries. I don't think we're at the "helicopters evacuating people from the roof of the US Embassy" quite yet. The Thai general election is scheduled for February 2 so feelings may run high in the Red Shirt north east at that time, let alone Bangkok and who knows where else. It's not "can I get in?" you should be thinking about but "will I be able to get out?"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    Best coverage of the current situation seems to be on gaybuttonthai.
    I agree there is a good thread running there also, but this Board has the largest readership/membership and I would have expected those superior numbers to reflect in a more up to date and greater posting of current events from a wider range of members in Thailand just now. I had hoped a fresh thread might jog a few more into sharing those experiences here rather than other Boards.

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc
    Check here for updates (you can chose language English or Thai) http://vdevhostnetdemo.com/mot
    Thanks for the link and the current on the ground information. Much appreciated. I was surprised to find soi Thaniya/Jeepoon open at both ends, I expected it to be blocked on the Silom side so if it is still open when I get there I should have no problems in getting to Ballys. I stayed in soi Saladaeng just after the last awful seh-daeng trouble/violence in silom and apart from the hundreds of Thai troops using the soi as their off-duty camp for sleeping/relaxing everyone just went about their business 'as normal'.

Quote Originally Posted by kommentariat
    It's not "can I get in?" you should be thinking about but "will I be able to get out?"
    Yes quite, and a very relevant comment. I remember the thousands of visitors stranded at the airport and in Bkk hotels who simply could not get out of the country when the 'yellows' took over the airport a few years ago, for those with commitments back home it was a real disaster. While it is something I gave some very slight consideration to for this upcoming trip, fortunately I can oversee business interests from Thailand if need be, not ideal, but not the same level of urgency or a disaster as it could have been during the last 'yellow' uprising and have the wherewithal to remain 'captive' in Thailand thanks to internet banking etc....It will be useful if the foreign office do not announce any warning before the plane leaves the tarmac but apart from a brief stop in Bkk (if I still go ahead with it) the rest of my time will be outside Bkk.

The possibilities of a worsening situation turning into something of a more serious nature is always possible where there is not an easy 'out' for either/both sides but things are often so drawn out in Thailand I could be there and home again before anything happens, that said, the days after Feb 2 might turn out to be interesting!

Liked

Hi,

Just to let you know, on Jan 22 and 23 I stayed 2 nights in Silom area in Bangkok, other than protestor camps in Lumpini, you wont notice anything different than usual in the are of Silom and Suriwong road.

Skytrain is running normally, even the rush hour after 5pm was doable, maybe slightly more crowded, but during day it is no busier than normal.

Main roads and intersections are closed, and streets are filled with tents and protestors wondering around during day, after dark, around 8pm Dear Leader speaks live to adoring crowds, there are huge monitors, and powerful sound systems on all main intersections. That makes walking unpleasant experience, the noise from people blowing their whistles and speeches or other noise coming from loudspeakers quickly becomes unbearable.

Both airports are open as of Thursday , Jan 23, taxi from Silom to Don Mueng took 20 minutes at 7.30 am, skytrian is running, incl Suwarnabhumi link.

It may get worse there quickly, but right now there are no issues preventing travel there. Friend of mine is staying at Silom, I am in constant touch w him, I am returning to Bangkok next week, he will keep informed if anything changes

Any change in BKK, I will post it here.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by whitemouse
    Any change in BKK, I will post it here.
    Thanks for your updates, from these up-to-date bits of information it's given me a good help in deciding my upcoming trip plan.

On GBT a member there posted very useful information to advise that there are multiple police/officials stops on route 2, the main route from Khon Kaen/Korat thro to Bkk. It's this kind of info which gives you a chance to take alternative routes. I find that route irritating at the best of times with anything up to 4-6 police stops on the stretch before and after Korat, so to have multiple stops the whole route and the massive tailbacks they create for virtually no vital reason it makes sense to avoid it. I like to keep on the move as much as possible so as we will be returning from Issan to Pattaya I'll avoid the main Bkk route and go via Buriram or Sa Kaeo taking a more scenic road to either the Chonburi-Pattaya road or Chanthaburi-Pattaya, if the situation remains by the time I arrive in Thailand shortly.