Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Anybody know the location of this artist???

Liked

Anybody know the location of this artist???

The following is a cut-and-paste from http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=3269 ................ I have an artist friend coming to visiting from Cambodia after Songkran and this would be a great opportunity to make a link. Naturally the article gives no clue as to where the guy is located in Pattaya? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

By the way you might want to check out the following URL about a wonderful project in which my friend is involved in Cambodia.

http://www.therubbishproject.blogspot.com/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Metal Scrap Art

These life-sized models called тАЬMetal Scrap ArtтАЭ are made from old bolts, nuts, screws, spark plugs and other used auto parts.

Unorthodox artist Pairot Thanomwong starts his creations by buying old unwanted auto parts from garages and factories.

While classifying the apparently valueless metal scraps, Mr. Pairot needs little imagination before deciding which scraps can be used as which parts of a model.

тАЬThis big ring can be used as the neck of a model, a beautiful bracelet or even a component of a round weapon.тАЭ, said Pairot.

Mr. PairotтАЩs models range from 10 to 200 centimetres in height. Small-sized products include frogs or ants playing musical instrument. Some of the larger models feature famous movie characters. Likewise, the prices range from 100 to 60,000 baht.

Mr. Pairot started the business from his hobby seven years ago before resigning from a company four years ago and becoming a full-time metal scrap artist. Today his factory in the resort city of Pattaya hires a dozen welders.
    90 percent of his products are exported through several agents while the rest is for local sale.

His steel models are used for decorating shops, restaurants and entertainment venues. Yet the engineer-turned-exporter said they were more useful than that.

тАЬMany potential clients ask me about the usefulness of these steel models. First of all, they are for decoration. They can also be adapted as lamp stands or table legs. Small-sized products include photo frames and pen holders. In short, it depends on the clientтАЩs order.тАЭ, said Pairot

Mr. Pairot now has a few competitors. But he believes there is still enough room for expansion for many years to come, especially in numerous resort cities full of foreign tourists.

Liked
    When I was in Pattaya about 14 months ago there were stands selling these figures at both Royal Garden and (outside) at Big C in North Pattaya. They were fascinating, but I think they've crossed the line from "Art" to "mass production." Probably at least one of these spots are still there, and the sales clerk can probably help you contact the artist.

Definitely mass production now! Lotus, Carrefour, Royal Garden, etc, with the biggest pieces being for sale outside the open-air market next to the main bus stop on North Pattaya Road. Any of the sales staff should be able to give you a contact telephone number.

Re: Anybody know the location of this artist???

Quote Originally Posted by jvt22222
    The following is a cut-and-paste from http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=3269 ................ I have an artist friend coming to visiting from Cambodia after Songkran and this would be a great opportunity to make a link. .
    As has already been written this art form has gone from a few pieces to mass production.

One of the largest suppliers can be found in Bangkok on Suriwong Road between Patpong 1 & Patpong 2. There is also a lower level workshop in Patpong 1 on the right hand side as you enter from Suriwong Road that are knocking these 'artworks' out. I am sure that the artist you mention has not connection with 99% of the workshops turning these figures out.

There is very little that is exclusive about this style of work nowadays and they are just as common as the wire figures of monsters and motorbikes that you see in all the tourist spots. Although with the latter a lot of the better made models are still turned out by groups of young kids working in a couple of workshops out near the Slautherhouse slum where they live. Watching them create those figures with only a pair of wire cutters and a hair dryer (for shrinking the plastic sleeving) is a sight not be be forgotten.