Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suvarnabhumi Taxi Queues

Liked

Suvarnabhumi Taxi Queues

In the print edition of the Bangkok Post today, on page 6, there's some good news and bad news about public taxis at the airport. In the time honored tradition of fixing something that is not broken and is working fine, the new Transportation Minister wants to go back to the original idea of a transportation center for taxi queues. I guess a shuttle bus to the transportation center too but the article does not say anything about that.

Minister Songsak uses the Thai broad usage of the term Mafia referring to who's now in charge of the taxi queues and wants TOA to control taxis. I though TOA was sorta the Mafia?

The good news is that he wants to eliminate the 50B surcharge. The article implies that that extra charge goes to the driver not TOA as I always been told. I seem to recall someone else in the government saying that surcharge was going up to 75 Baht.

E Dok Tong

And online too

Here's the online version - I thought TOA was an abbreviation I hadn't heard before, and of course what was meant (??) was AoT - the Airports of Thailand statutory authority that runs the airport (and has its own limo service - the yellow booths inside and outside the arrivals hall) - http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/06Mar2008_news15.php

Liked
    Read about this when I was in LOS last week and shivered and shuddered at the thought of them 'organising' anything. It works as well as it could.

The 'Taxi Rank' at S. always reminds me of being invited to dinner at someone's brand new apartment and instead of them using the designer kitchen they light a fire in the middle of the lounge room floor to cook dinner ...

But mai pen rai. Each time it works even though I always get the taxi with the rubber band propulsion system and he who can only pay tolls by opening car door as he cruises thru toll gate... Opening windows on later models apparently

The taxis work just fine as they are.

Is this some scheme to foul up the taxi service as soon as the new rail link opens?

hey fatmann, I am sure you can afford it? 25 BHT, walk? hmm, I dont believe you will do it :bounce:

Liked
    The train is on the way. I see a lot of people working on it but still some big gaps. I have not heard anything on the price or how it's going to connect to MRT/BTS. It looks like there's two stations under construction before it terminates at Makkasan. So, it takes you to Makkasan, what then?
    E Dok Tong

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    The train is on the way. I see a lot of people working on it but still some big gaps. I have not heard anything on the price or how it's going to connect to MRT/BTS. It looks like there's two stations under construction before it terminates at Makkasan. So, it takes you to Makkasan, what then?
    I've heard that it will terminate at Phyatai, a station between Siam and Victory Monument. However I guess quite a few people will get off around the Asoke area and get a taxi from there - assuming they don't arrive after midnight, when I imagine it won't be running anyway

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    I've heard that it will terminate at Phyatai, a station between Siam and Victory Monument. However I guess quite a few people will get off around the Asoke area and get a taxi from there - assuming they don't arrive after midnight, when I imagine it won't be running anyway
    Why don't people use Google to answer their own questions before turning to this message board for advice? grumble, grumble, moan, moan....

There will be two different services available on the new airport line. The Express Service will terminate at Makkasn and interchange with the MRT (Phetchaburi) whilst the Commuter Service will stop at 6 intermediate stations before terminating at Phayathai and interchange with the Sky Train.

www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141

The Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link is under construction from Suvarnabhumi International Airport to the planned City Air Terminal in Makkasan area of Bangkok.

Construction of the line started in 2005. The line is being built by a consortium of B Grimm, STECON and Siemens, and will be owned and operated by State Railway of Thailand (SRT). The estimated cost of the project is 25.9 billion baht and is expected to be ready for service in October 2008.

The Airport Link line will be 28.6 km long and elevated for most of its length. Both non-stop Express services (known informally as the Pink Line) and Commuter services (the Red Line) will be operated. Siemens Desiro trainsets, capable of speeds of up to 160 km/h, will be used, with Express journeys taking 15 minutes and Commuter trips 27 minutes.

Express Service: Suvarnabhumi Airport - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station))

Commuter Service: Suvarnabhumi Airport - Lad Krabang - Thub Chang - Hua Mark - Ramkhamhaeng - Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)) - Ratchaprarop - Phayathai (interchange with BTS Sukhumvit Line (Phayathai Station))
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked
    expected to be ready for service in October 2008.
    Anyone care to take a bet on that?

Makkasan (City Air Terminal - interchange with MRT Blue Line (Phetchaburi Station)
    Blue line? Yea in maybe another 5+ years.

Of course you can google and get some official government site with all the"correct" answers (the Thai way) but it's nice to get reports of what people are seeing, hearing and how they think the system will work. Then when it's up and running some personal experience reports would be nice.
    E Dok Tong

Much Googling

Of course you can Google and get some official government site with all the"correct" answers (the Thai way) but it's nice to get reports of what people are seeing, hearing and how they think the system will work. Then when it's up and running some personal experience reports would be nice.
    While generally I'm with Sen Yai on the question of lazy posters and their refusal to Google, in this case TrongpaiExpat is correct - just because it's a Thai government announcement doesn't make it true (unless, of course, you are boygeenyus)