Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suvarnabhumi Queues

Liked

Suvarnabhumi Queues

I departed Thailand this Monday at 10am, wait time for immigrations was 2 min. to get stamped out.

I arrived back Thursday at 1600 and wait time for immigrations for entry to Thailand was less than one min. One other person in my line. About 10 active lanes for B section Immigrations. C section immigrations was open and I did not notice many in the hall.

I don't know if there are just a lot more immigrations officers now or less people going to Thailand, probably both. The airport was pretty quiet.

The Taxi queues have moved closer to exit C now. Wait time was 0 min. They were waiting for me. The other queue was at the other end, exit A, I did not see what was going on down there. That gets the domestic traffic.

I noticed that the police (I assume) are keeping the taxi touts out of the terminal and out of the sidewalks and exits. They are all held across the street behind a barricade. They yell, wave, hoot and hold big home made signs. One was offering Pattaya 1000B.

E Dok Tong

I organised

... cabs from airport to Pattaya myself now at 1000 sometimes 1200, with Mr Toom, great service.

Liked

Re: taxi security

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    I departed Thailand this Monday at 10am, wait time for immigrations was 2 min. to get stamped out.

I arrived back Thursday at 1600 and wait time for immigrations for entry to Thailand was less than one min. One other person in my line. About 10 active lanes for B section Immigrations. C section immigrations was open and I did not notice many in the hall.

I don't know if there are just a lot more immigrations officers now or less people going to Thailand, probably both. The airport was pretty quiet.

The Taxi queues have moved closer to exit C now. Wait time was 0 min. They were waiting for me. The other queue was at the other end, exit A, I did not see what was going on down there. That gets the domestic traffic.

I noticed that the police (I assume) are keeping the taxi touts out of the terminal and out of the sidewalks and exits. They are all held across the street behind a barricade. They yell, wave, hoot and hold big home made signs. One was offering Pattaya 1000B.
    I've taken all kinds of taxis from the airport- to BKK city and to Pattaya-and sometimes I get a fearful premonition, especially when in an 'unofficial' vehicle, that nobody will every see me again.
    Thankfully so far I've arrived safely at my various destinations but the fact remains that getting into an unmarked car (especially) with a total stranger at the wheel in a labyrinthian city of 12 million people, is dangerous.
    Was there not a case, some years ago, of an English tourist being shot dead in the back of an 'official' BKK taxi by the driver?

Liked
    Your pretty safe if you take a taxi from the official taxi lanes at the airport. They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem. The drivers must fear that form as many ask to see it like it has some information on it they need and then you don't get it back.

New meter fare to central Bangkok (Silom) is 250 on meter+50 surcharge+45 toll+30 toll= 375 in moderate light traffic. Have exact change and there's no problem.

As for a fear of Bangkok, I guess that's more perception than reality. For some reason I feel more comfortable (safe) in Bangkok than I do in Pattaya and that is probably not rational either.

Over many years of using taxis in Bangkok, I have never had a serious problem. Maybe one in 100 pulls some trick, a long route, no change or no meter but most of that is easy to avoid.

Most of the farangs that run into serious trouble with a taxi driver could have avoided the confrontation. I know this one farang that was short changed about 60 Baht from a fare. He argued to no avail with the driver and gave the driver a slap on the back of his head. As the farang was getting out, one leg on the pavement and one in the taxi the driver lunged the cab forward dragging the farang along the road. He did not break any bones but need some stitches and it cost a lot more then 60B.
    E Dok Tong

Usefulness of taxi complaint forms

They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem.
    Not if you're DEAD! :bounce:

Re: Usefulness of taxi complaint forms

Quote Originally Posted by SF farang
    They give you the drivers name and a 'Complaint Form' you can mail in if there is a problem.
    Not if you're DEAD! :bounce:
    Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?

Chao Na wrote:
    "Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?"

The person who got killed probably thought the problem at least moderately large. On the other hand, this thought would have been a fleeting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick
    Chao Na wrote:
    "Is there a big problem, then, with Bangkok airport taxi drivers murdering their fares?"

The person who got killed probably thought the problem at least moderately large. On the other hand, this thought would have been a fleeting one.
    Who was that, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Chao Na
    Quote Originally Posted by Homesick
    Chao Na wrote:

Who was that, then?
    Still can't master Google? Oh dear, what are we going to do with you?

I don't know, worship me as a god among men?