Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Where to go in Koh Samui?

Where to go in Koh Samui?

I'll be in Thailand this December and plan to spend about 5 days in Koh Samui for the first time.

I'm hoping to stay at a place that's kind of close to the action, but far enough away to get a peaceful night's sleep. Somewhere close to the ocean as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Liked
    I'm also interested in any information anyone has to offer. Your assistance will be appreciated. :flower:
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked
    Early last year I started this thread which might also be helpful

http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... oh%20samui

THE beach hotel opposite Amsterdam is

www.tradewinds-samui.com
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Re: Where to go in Koh Samui?

Quote Originally Posted by robroy
    I'm hoping to stay at a place that's kind of close to the action, but far enough away to get a peaceful night's sleep. Somewhere close to the ocean as well.

Thanks for the advice.
    Some interesting links posted here but, robroy, my advice is don't worry about it and just enjoy your trip. Samui is a small island and, if you stay in Chawaeng, just about anywhere will meet your 3 criteria.

There's not much 'action' but the links above cover it. It's always quiet at night (nothing like Pattaya or Patong) and being pretty much a one street town, with few other streets or sois, everything is within walking distance, including the ocean!

You will need transport to explore the rest of the island. A trip up to Bophut on the north coast is worthwhile, but the main town of Nathon on the west coast is not very inspiring.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

IMHO........the best place in Samui is the airport, departures at that!

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieal
    They said nice things about you too
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Yucky beaches!

One of the problems I had with Samui was how ugly the beaches were. Many on the west side were just mud flats strewn with boulders. The problem with others is that the coral reefs stopped all the cleansing wave action and the beaches were covered with stagnant brackish water. I was really shocked.

Only the south half of Chawaeng Beach is acceptable as there is no reef blocking the ocean. The north half has stagnant green water with lots of flies and bugs patrolling the shoreline.

THE LAST GOOD HOTEL BEACH on Chawaeng is the Baan Chawaeng Beach Resort. I was so surprised by the state of things I took a pic of it just for my records in case I returned. Anything north of that has yucky beaches. Check a map before you book.

BTW, you can always stay away from the beach and just walk to Chawaeng.

Senior member RonanTheBarbarian's Avatar
    Liked
    There are plenty of good beaches on Samui - Lamai, Bo Phut, and as kenc said the southern half of Chaweng.

Do not let a concern over a lack of good beaches put anybody going to Samui.

They are rather straight ,though.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Quote Originally Posted by aussieal
    They said nice things about you too
    IMHO you obviously like Samui, I don't! That's why it said IMHO! If they said nice things about me I wouldn't know why and I would care less!