Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thailand is #4 for COVID-19 management

No Platformed
    Liked

Thailand is #4 for COVID-19 management

An Australian think-tank has produced a “Top Ten” list of countries that have managed the pandemic well. The list is:
    1. New Zealand
    2. Vietnam
    3. Taiwan
    4. Thailand
    5. Cyprus
    6. Rwanda
    7. Iceland
    8. Australia (so there a447)
    9. Latvia
    10. Sri Lanka

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australi...e-nz-tops-list

Liked

Re: Thailand is #4 for COVID-19 management

Obviously I'm biased because I don't know shit about Rwanda, but surprised to see it up there at #6.

Awesome, go Rwanda!

Liked

Maybe some of those countries ahead of Australia do not see many international visitors, so their numbers are lower.

Australia has not taken a national approach to controlling the spread of the virus, preferring to leave it up to individual states.

Some states have caved in to pressure from the federal government to open their borders but Western Australia slammed the door shut and told the Prime Minister to basically get fucked. (They are from opposing political parties.)

All I know is, we've led a virus-free lifestyle in Western Australia since April last year and we don't even think about it. Life goes on as always, apart from big events (like Australia Day fireworks), which they decided the cancel just to be on the safe side.

So apart from New Zealand, I wouldn't want to be in any of those other countries on that list.

I read with horror about the appalling situation in the UK and America, and just hope that our members from those countries remain safe and sound.

I think Boris should have taken a more "Aussie" approach to the virus. Perhaps he has been too concerned about trying to please too many people but has ended up pleasing none. Is that the case?
    Last edited by a447; January 28th, 2021 at 14:00.

4. User who gave Like to post:

splinter1949 (January 28th, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

It helps if you have a relatively high percentage of the population living in rural areas. There are provinces in Thailand that lack large towns and have largely escaped the worst of the virus.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

its not only rural areas...in WA the vast majority of peoplke live in stand alone houses unlike sydney and Melbourne where apartment in the city are more common

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    its not only rural areas...in WA the vast majority of peoplke live in stand alone houses unlike sydney and Melbourne where apartment in the city are more common
    Yes Latin, you're spot on. Although for some reason there is a push to get more people into apartment living here.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    An Australian think-tank has produced a “Top Ten” list of countries that have managed the pandemic well.
    if they redid the analysis today where do you think Thailand would rate?
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

No Platformed
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    if they redid the analysis today where do you think Thailand would rate?
    You may have fallen prey to the “most recent news is the most significant news” fallacy. Melbourne Australia had a clusterfuck failure in Q4 2020 but Australia is still in the top ten.

After all, Vietnam, currently in the first four, has just been told to prepare for 30,000 new cases

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN29X17V

Liked

And where is Cambodia in that list? No local transmission, only few limitations of public life. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know.

It's not just management, many other factors and luck play a role as well. Weather conditions that favor or disfavor the spread of Covid. Distribution of population towns or villages. Age distribution of population. Is there anyone over 50 years old in Rwanda? Public health system.

11. User who gave Like to post:

goji (January 29th, 2021)

Liked

I think Israel should get a mention for their kickass vaccine rollout. Put the rest of the world to shame.