List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avalon Hotel Jomtien - Gay Friendly?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Avalon Hotel Jomtien - Gay Friendly?

Anyone stayed here since it opened a few months back? Any problem with overnight guests? It's a perfect location for the gay beach. Internet rates are about same as the Rabbit further along, but looks 5 star - and the Rabbit charges 700Bt extra for overnighters.

Liked
    I heard from Thais that the Avalon is packed with Russians. No thanks.

Stayed there with my long time b/f at a concessionary rate about three weeks after it opened. The place was still having teething problems and the restaurant in particular was not up to acceptable standard of service (but that may now have improved). I had enquired in person earlier, before booking, that bringing b/f would not be a problem and was told that as long as he was over 18 it would be OK. One night receptionist gave me the third degree about my companion until I said that he was a registered guest. Joining fees were never mentioned however I would not be at all surprised if they were charged...they even have a 500 THB a night surcharge when staying over the Songkran period !!
    You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit card...for this reason alone I would not stay there again. As stated, stayed at concessionary introductory rate but taking everything into account I think the room rates are on the high side for what is on offer.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    Thanks everyone - no way will I stay there.

Liked

Re: Avalon Hotel Jomtien - Gay Friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by fountainhall
    and the Rabbit charges 700Bt extra for overnighters.
    no they don't according to the last discussion here - try search

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Rabbit - no more joiners fee

Rabbit no longer charges for joiners. They changed their policy almost a year ago.
    Avalon seems a bit sterile for my tastes. I like the "bungalow" ambiance of Rabbit and the owner Deb is very friendly.
    Just stayed there for 2900 bhat. Best rate I found was from Thaihotels.com

Standard stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Davina
    You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit card
    That is such a common practice in Thailand and, increasingly, other places that it's hardly worth remarking

Re: Standard stuff

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    You should note also that they charge 3.5% on top of the bill when paying by credit card
    That is such a common practice in Thailand and, increasingly, other places that it's hardly worth remarking
    Yep, I know that some of the smaller businesses and particularly travel agencies make a charge for credit card use but this is the first time I have heard of a hotel doing it. Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortion...usually I just walk out but was caught out this time after a three day stay at Avalon. I will make sure to ask other hotels in future before I book or take up residence.

Name calling

Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortion
    And it is "extortion" that you expect them to discount their prices by 3.5% because you use a credit card whereas someone who pays cash or travellers cheque gives the business the full whack? I'd have thought you are the extortionist. As I said, a number of countries now allow the credit card merchants' fee to be passed on to the consumer by the vendor

Re: Name calling

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    Out of principle I refuse to do business with any organisation that uses this extortion
    And it is "extortion" that you expect them to discount their prices by 3.5% because you use a credit card whereas someone who pays cash or travellers cheque gives the business the full whack? I'd have thought you are the extortionist.
    I do not expect them to discount their prices - they will have already factored in the 3.5% in their set price anyway...I have been reliably told this by a Thai bank official. They just try it on with what they consider to be ignorant Falangs in the hope that the Falang will adopt a mae pen rai attitude and put it down to this being Thailand !!!!!