Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: LOVE+BUSINESS

Liked

LOVE+BUSINESS

Love and Marriage go together as the song says but what about Love and Business (gay and straight) in Thailand?

No need to repeat here the countless horror stories involving foreigners in business with their thai wives.

I have personally seen a number of gay "farang" bar owners being wiped out by their thai lover-come-manager-co-owner- whatever.

There's an old saying that goes "seldom give advice" but if a prospective farang asked me for my advice on going into business with his boyfriend I would advise him to keep the boy for the bedroom and love and hire staff to run the business.

If he was determined to go ahead anyway I would advise him not to put vital items such as leases, licenses, bank accounts etc into the lover's name.

There should be no problem with this in any case because real love never doubts or questions.
    In fact it trumps all difficulties.

What advice would you guys give?

Liked

Re: LOVE+BUSINESS

Try and get him to talk to as many farang bar owners as possible. Failing that let out a long agonisingly high pitched anguished scream and start sobbing on his behalf right there in front of him.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I call it " Thailand fever"....farangs which in their home countries would be totally ignored bevause they are past their prime and are only financially comfortable are suddenly encountered with a situation where they are suddenly gods gift to man kind...the sexiest thing that ever set foot on the planet..and by ordinary Thai stabdards also fabulously wealthy to boot,
    They simply cannot resist....and no amount of advice will work because they are in LOVE...and it will not happen them.

Liked

As Hillary wrote once at the Pattaya Mail many farangs leave their brain at the airport luggage storage closet once arriving to Thailand =P~

Liked

If you want your Thai business adventure to succeed, date a successful Thai businessman, and spread the risk 50:50.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam
    If you want your Thai business adventure to succeed, date a successful Thai businessman, and spread the risk 50:50.
    Good idea and these rich kids do exist, especially in Bangkok.

However for our purposes here they're a long-shot residing as they do in the upper zone where it's all sweetness and light.

I'm more at home in the murky world of the lurking conger eels and bottom-feeders and I have company here to boot-and they're generally not bad company.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I just say, "Don't be stupid."

Don't go to a plumber if you need dental surgery.

If you need a business partner, don't off him at a gogo bar.

If you simply want to "help" your boyfriend "build a better future".... Do what I do.

First, teach him that running his own business will be the hardest most difficult job he's ever had.

Second, it will be a cold day in hell before I invest a in a business for him.... until *after* he has successfully worked his way up through every position in that type of business.... and remained at the top level, running it successfully, for a minimum of 3 years. Altogether, that would probably take 5 to 10 years. Otherwise, how do I ( and how does *he* ) know that he can do it....?

I tell him, if we want to just throw money away.... Let's take a cruise and throw all of our money into the middle of the ocean..... Or let's start a big fire and burn all of our money. Same same as starting a business that will fail.

If he can't hold down a restaurant job, and work his way up to number one manager, while making the place more profitable..... then we're all out of our minds to think he can run his own restaurant. This same principle applies to any type of business.

"If a bank won't lend you the money, why should I? If you can get a bank to lend you the money, then I will. ( but then you won't need me to )"

As for working together, side by side, every day in a business together.... Just break up with him NOW ......and never see him again. It will be much faster, much cheaper, and much less painful.... with basically the same result.... or a better result, in fact.

About every two or three months my bf has a new idea of a school he wants me to send him to. One month it's photography school. The next time it's fashion design. Then it's massage school. Next he wants to go to cooking and baking school. Then it's a school to become a hair stylist. Then he wants to open his own business of some type... It never ends.

My answer is always the same: "As soon as you have worked for a successful professional in that profession for one year, with him as your mentor every day... ( as a paid job or unpaid internship ---- either one is fine ), then I will absolutely pay to send you to school to further your professional education. But not one day before that."

Some might call it tough love. I call it, having a tiny bit of sense. The concept is very simple. If you're *really* serious about this, prove it. You must do something big to prove that this is really your passion *and* that you have the willpower and aptitude to do it successfully in the real world..... *BEFORE* I even think about investing one cent of my money or one hour of my time.
    check out http://gaysexthailand.com every day

Liked

Simples.

I would give him a list of all the bar owners I know who have died, jumped from condos, run away, disappeared, in jail on trumped up charges, or just fucked off home.

The I would give him a list of those (not long) who are still in business....

Liked

Brucey, is it possible for you to make a post without all the "quotes" you somehow deem appropriate?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

thaiguest wrote:

I would give him the same advice I gave my son when he was 12 years old. I told him to take a pencil and write down a short list of potential consequences that may ocurr if the decision he was contemplateing was wrong. Than I told him to circle the worst consequence on his list...then to sit back and look at what he had circled. I then told him that if he was willing to accept that conseqence if the decision he was making failed, then go for it, because life is an adventure...BUT, if he wasn't willing to accept that consequence, then DON'T DO IT.

I remember him telling me once that that was the most valuable lesson he ever learned.