Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The death of Phuket as a Thai destination

Liked

The death of Phuket as a Thai destination

Out in Australia at the moment, I came across a story in the local paper this morning celebrating the death of Phuket as a destination in Thailand. It has now becoming an international resort destination for the well-heeled where the only encounter with a local is when they clean your room or serve your food and drinks:

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/-2xi3m.html

"If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Re: The death of Phuket as a Thai destination

A bit of overreaction to a full of hype travel article. Sooty's headline is hardly realistic to the gist of the article. Let's see they mention 4 or 5 beach clubs out of what a 1000 places to stay on Phuket. Read the fine print at the bottom of the article: "The writer was a guest of Banyan Tree Phuket and Tourism Authority of Thailand." The TAT is always trying to make everything sound upscale. Since the largest group of visitors to Phuket are Chinese on package tours followed by the #2 group of Russians on group tours I don't think Phuket is that upscale. Although having those two groups as the major tour groups might be the death of Phuket to many westerners, especially since Western Europeans used to be the prominent group.
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Beachloser's stamp of approval was
    the kiss of death...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by rincondog
    Sooty's headline is hardly realistic to the gist of the article.
    In line with most Forum topics then ;
    "If you think you understood what I said you weren't listening" - Alan Greenspan

Liked

Poor old Sooty. Comprehension has never been one of his strengths.

Take the title of this thread. And then read the first paragraph of the newspaper article:

Upmarket beach clubs are transforming the Phuket social scene, putting the groove back into the island's sandy shores, writes Julie Miller.
    Where on earth did Sooty get the idea that Phuket was dying as a destination?? It is suggesting the exact opposite!

Sooty wrote:
    I came across a story in the local paper this morning celebrating the death of Phuket as a destination in Thailand.
    His very next sentence states:
    It has now becoming an international resort destination
    WTF?? Is it a destination, or isn't it? Make up your mind.

Read the article again, Sooty.

Slowly.