Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phuket is a rip-off tourist destination

Phuket is a rip-off tourist destination

Liked

Re: Phuket is a rip-off tourist destination

I wonder if those people that get ripped of have been forwarend about such ongoings in Phuket. We know what's going on because we visit blogs like this that are feeding us this stories often enough.

So I would like to know if you people living in Australia, Holland, Germany etc see much of this in your local news and how frequent. I really think that many people underestimate the situation there. I've been ones and don't feel the urge to go back.

I did.nt see any problems when i went but i was dissapointed with phuket ..its ok for getting to places like the pi pi islands

Liked

When I played guide to some friends who visited Thailand for the first time they didn't do any research about Thailand before they came. I have them several of my books on Thailand but they didn't read them. Even when we were here, I warned them about rip-offs but they had to find out the hard way.
    They have not been back and their once harsh views on Thailand have now softened and they only remember the good times.

By far, I have run into more crooks in Phuket than I have in the rest of Thailand and I am in no hurry to ever go back to Phuket. I can say for sure that I may never see that Island again.
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vnman
    So I would like to know if you people living in Australia, Holland, Germany etc see much of this in your local news and how frequent. I really think that many people underestimate the situation there. I've been ones and don't feel the urge to go back.
    Yes there have been many stories about in big newspapers for long time and even in tv have been reports about the scams going on.
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked

I know about problems in Phuket only from these forums I read. I has completely put me off visiting Phuket ever. In addition, I am not a beach person and apart from the scams Phuket is said to be more expensive than other areas in Thailand.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Phuket unfortunately has been ruined from tourism. The Thais are mostly from South Thailand and they do not carry the general impression we farangs have of Thais, being sincere and giving one a Thai Smile. Instead, these folks are greedy bastards and easily get angry. The tuk tuk drivers and such are a disgrace to Thailands' reputation. It is more expensive in Phuket. I thought I would never say this, but one would be better to spend their vacation money in Pattaya - cheaper to get there, cheaper, and the people are more friendly. (Ok, poor customer service, but that is part of the territory.)

I have to say that I have found the boys in Phuket every bit as friendly, honest, and sweet as the boys in Pattaya - or anywhere else in Thailand.
    I do find some of the bars to be quite pushy, but you could name a few of those anywhere.

And, of course in Phuket there is the added attraction of a Scottish Bar - where I can while away an hour or so during the day!
    And no, they don't serve deep-fried Mars bars or charge for toilet paper by the sheet ottytrain1:

I do agree with Thrillbill about the Tuk Tuk drivers though - I despise their attitude and always try to arrange things so that I don't have to use them at all.

:hello2:

Liked

I have always enjoyed Phuket....avoid the tuk tuks, and jet ski scammers, and everyone else has always been very charming, polite and welcoming....
    I even think I have been in that Scottish bar in Phuket........and EVEN they were friendly (to an Englishman!!)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry to say it but I found the baars to be few and the staff I ran into at the hotel....well let's put it this way, I will never go back.