Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Retirement what to do?

Liked

Retirement what to do?

I have been visiting Thailand every since 1991. It has been my ambition to retire in Thailand. In 2011 I lived in Pattaya for six months and enjoyed my stay with only a few relationship challenges. Now I am ready to make the move. But where in Thailand should I settle. Reading Pattaya one news, Pattaya seems like the Wild West. Great for a quickly, but every day for years ? What to do? Comments welcome form all even the trolls.

Liked

Re: Retirement what to do?

so you have been going to thailand for 22 years and are asking other where you should live !!
    i smell a bad one.

Liked

Your right, I should know by now. Even though Thailand has change much in the last 20 years, wise advice from those who have made the move ought not impact my decision. The move would be expensive and family members will complain. I was hoping for a dialogue with those of us who have face a similar decision.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by timmberty
    so you have been going to thailand for 22 years and are asking other where you should live !!
    i smell a bad one.

Well, there is your first troll!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

This article turned up in my Twitter feed this week http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatl ... haven.html

Liked

Oh I love this part of the article from the Torygraph:

(Pattaya) was just a small fishing village back then (1982), but they loved the fact they were by the sea, it was sunny every day and the people were polite.

"It was like England in the 1950s,тАЭ says Felicity. тАЬThe children would curtsy to you."

Just think - maybe if they swap Pattaya for Rwanda the kids will kiss their feet for a handful or rice, and Felicity can play Lady Bountiful to even greater effect.

Tiffin, anybody?

:occasion9:

Liked

Milton 60 I suggest you rent for 6 months but never buy wherever you locate to eventually.

There are stories here every month or two about rural cities. Work your way and visit them in turn.

Pattaya is still attracting huge numbers of tourists, just not gays any more
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

In 22 years is Pattaya the only place in Thailand you have visited? If you have visited other areas in Thailand and after 22 years you are not sure where to live, then maybe Thailand isn't the place for you.

If you are still intent on retiring in Thailand try living for a few months in several different areas and then decide before making a commitment. After all you are really the only one that really knows what you enjoy and what will make a happy retirement for you.
    Life is sexually transmitted and terminal.

Liked

There is absolutely no doubt that Pattaya is changing and hardly to the better. Nevertheless, it is still IMHO the best destination for the retirement in Thailand.
    Here are the main advantages:
    1. Good and relatively inexpensive nightlife
    2. Relatively good health care (including a choice of hospitals).
    3. Good infra structure: food stores,restaurants, internet, choice of TV programming, relative proximity to BKK with its cultural life, airports etc.
    4. Pattaya (so far) has never been hit hard with floods or other natural disasters to the extent BKK, Chiand Mai or Phuket were.
    I actually would consider (unlike what others said) to buy a condo. For one thing paper assets nowdays getting riskier and for another if you choose it right can be a good investment. The one thing is very important to notice: there is no way to enjoy your retirement in Pattaya on the cheap. And the cost will rise with the time.
    What many potential retirees and expats do not understand is that Thailand as a destination is not exempt from economic or other laws of nature but Pattaya (to some extent) does because it is planned to be a dream one ... But to avoid trivialities of life you need to have a solid retirement base (i.e . your retirement should be very well funded).

Liked

I think it all depends on what you like:

If you like a Big City life? then it's Bangkok. If you want a Party town, then it's Pattaya or Phuket, you want peace and quiet? Then Chiang Mai or Hua Hin. I personally think I would pick the Big City life for all the amenities and vacation in all the other places.