Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retirement O visa

Liked

retirement O visa

Does anyone know if you retire after 50 and get the retirement visa how often you can come and go into LOS? Ideally I would want to be there from November thru April and in my home country from April thru November.Is this possible or are you "trapped" in Thailand for the length of your visa?This is just a quick question for you brainiacs here as Im too lazy to read the whole visa board for the answer. The obvious drawback is giving up your health plan in your home country if your not allowed to "come and go". Thanks for any answers.

The Visa is voided when you exit unless you buy a re-entry permit. These are available at Suvarnabhumi Airport and Immigration Offices. The cost is 1000 baht for a single re-entry and 3900 for multiple.

http://www.thaivisa.com/346.0.html

You cannot apply for one until you have a visa.

Liked

A couple of more questions

With the one-year retirement visa, what's the time limit for its renewal (meaning, how many days before it expires can you renew it)? And does the renewal run from the end of the 1-year time period or from the date you renew?

And, let's presume you've exited Thailand and, while you're gone, the 1-year time period has expired. Any way to renew the retirement visa (versus starting over again...meaning getting a 60-day visa ahead of time and then applying for the 1-year retirement visa)?

[By the way, I'm presuming your comment, Wowpow, means that one could (without any extra charge) leave Thailand once during the 1-year time period and you could renew as long as you're back before the 1-year was up. That correct?]

Liked
    I am going to renew this month my retirement visa for the third time. Can anyone confirm that a medical certificate is not anymore required at Suan Plu immigration office when renewing this visa?

Bob,They prefer you to renew during the last week of the life of the visa.

It is renewed for a year from it's expiry date.

I have re written my first post to clarify. Without a re-entry permit your visa is cancelled when you leave Thailand.

As far as I know you cannot renew an expired visa you have to start all over again. You may be able to renew your retirement Visa at home. Particularly in the US they seem to do stuff not offered elsewhere.

Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyxel
    I am going to renew this month my retirement visa for the third time. Can anyone confirm that a medical certificate is not anymore required at Suan Plu immigration office when renewing this visa?
    For a renewal of the one-year retirement visa, the regulations make no mention of the need for further medical documentation. The financial requirements seem to be all-important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vancover Thai Consulate website
    " ... At the end of the one-year stay, a visitor who wishes to extend his/her stay must submit a request to extend the period at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, or a deposit account in the Kingdom, or an income certificate, of the amount of no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income certificate plus a deposit account indicating a total amount of no less than 800,000 Baht a year. Sathon District, Bangkok 10120. In the case of conducting any following reports, the Reply Form for the previous report shall be enclosed as well.) Copies of any previous such Reports should also be included ... "
    As you say you've already renewed a retirement visa twice, you've obviously had experience. Shouldn't you be telling us?

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Medical no longer required

Hi Zyxel,
    Jomtien office no longer require a medical certificate when renewing a retirement visa. You will need to show your bankbook along with a copy of it showing that you have the required 800K or less if you can prove a pension or income.

Liked
    Thank you Smiles. Yes I have experience renewing my visa but last time I did it at Suan Plu the officer told me that a medical certificate was still needed.
    I saw in various forums that apparently it was not needed any more and these people were speaking about the office in Pattaya. Last time when I went to my 90 days reporting the officer at the information counter answered the same question in an upset way: "Yes need, need !"
    I also have the experience of getting a different answer with different people and I know that immigration offices around the country are sometimes different in their requests. That is why I wanted to know if somebody went to Suan Plu to renew his visa without presenting a medical certificate and everything went OK.
    Thank you also Xpat but as you say it is Jomtien and not Suan Plu.

Retirement Visa Renewal and Non-immigrant type "O"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    With the one-year retirement visa, what's the time limit for its renewal (meaning, how many days before it expires can you renew it)? And does the renewal run from the end of the 1-year time period or from the date you renew?

And, let's presume you've exited Thailand and, while you're gone, the 1-year time period has expired. Any way to renew the retirement visa (versus starting over again...meaning getting a 60-day visa ahead of time and then applying for the 1-year retirement visa)?

[By the way, I'm presuming your comment, Wowpow, means that one could (without any extra charge) leave Thailand once during the 1-year time period and you could renew as long as you're back before the 1-year was up. That correct?]
    Retirement Visa and Renewal:
    My partner's retirement visa will expire on the 10th of August, however he went to the Jomtien Immigration office last week to renew his Retirement Visa for the coming year. With all the necessary paperwork and requirements he was able to get his new retirement visa to start from August 10th (the date the old visa expires) despite the fact that he was renewing it about 2 1/2 months prior to expiration.

Re-entry: As he doesn not intend to leave thailand often, he didn't opt for the multiple re-entry and will go to the immigration office for a single re-entry anytime he plans to leave the country.

Non-immigrant type "O": I have this type of visa, as I am under 50 years of age and am not qualified for the Retirement visa. If you are married to a Thai citizen or own property in Thailand, you can apply for a 1 year multiple entry type "O" non-immigrant visa at any Thai Consulates outside of Thailand. The cost is about $150.00. During this one year period, you may get in and out of the country as many times as you want and each time you enter the country you will be granted a maximum of 90 days stay, at which time you MUST leave the country. If you live in Pattaya or Bangkok, you can do a visa run every 90 days to Aranyapathet/Poipet Border in Cambodia.

Liked
    All this visa stuff is confusing enough but then add a mix of Suan Plu and Pattaya having different applications of the same set of rules and it will drive you to drink.

Yes, Zytel, you don't need a medical for Suan Plu, I just went there last month. Take a number, go to lunch, and come back before your called.

It seems that in Pattaya a copy of the letter of income verification from you embassy is sufficient but in Bangkok they take the original.

Immigration in Pattaya will do a address verification but in Bangkok they direct you to your embassy for the same.

In Bangkok, not sure about Pattaya, even if you qualifying with income, they want a letter from the bank showing you have an account. They took the original.

The 90 report and re-entry permits take only a few min. , the visa extension can take a few hours wait and it seems from reports that both offices seem to be about the same.

I always get the re-entry stamp along with the visa extention. I did not know that you could get it at the airport.
    E Dok Tong