Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bank accounts

Liked

bank accounts

im sure this will have been discussed before but lets do it again!!!!
    i need to find a thai bank i can transfer some money into, what banks do the expats suggest and why ?
    i need a bank mainly for the use of an atm card. free is best of course.
    i will have a week after i arrive in pattaya to sort out an account and to transfer the cash across, so what and why is best for you?

Liked

Re: bank accounts

I use Bangkok Bank. They have lots of branches, easy to find ATMs, allow visitors to set up account and ATM card, they give me a very good exchange rate while transferring money in, and their ATM screen allows me to transfer to other bank's accounts if needed. I have never had any type of problem.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

Yea Bangkok Bank is my favorite too. I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand.
    One benefit of Bangkok Bank is it has international branches. I'm from the US, and using the
    US branch routing number and my Thailand bank account number I can transfer funds from
    another US bank account easily without the international transfer fees. They have a London
    branch too.

But if you don't have a retirement visa or work permit it may be difficult getting an account
    at Bangkok Bank. I had to show my 1 year visa and my work permit book to open an account.

Not all banks in Thailand have debit cards that can be used online. Bangkok Bank does. And
    so does Kasikorn Bank. KBank is the easiest for westerners to open an account. When I first
    arrived here, I went into a KBank branch and asked what I needed to open an account and they
    said "your passport and name of your hotel." KBank is also easy to use to top up your Thai
    mobile phone minutes online.

My 3rd account was for my job to use for direct deposit at SCB. Debit card is for point of sale only.
    Money transfers between all banks are easy in Thailand, so any bank is as good as another for
    sending money to a Thai friend for example. It's also easy to set up bill payments with SCB.

You can open an account with as little as 500 baht at most banks. Debit cards will cost an
    additional 500 baht or so, and at both Bangkok Bank and KBank you will need to let them know
    when opening the account you will want to use the card for online purchases and internet banking.

Liked

Siam Commercial Bank are very good.

I would suppose most of the big names can be used seamlessly.

With regard to transferring money, I have found that depositing a cheque from your home country and having them send it for payment is the cheapest way to send money from overseas... If you follow me. It takes about 28 days depending upon the country of home bank account. Of course, this time frame might not work for everyone.

Hope this helps.

Liked

thanks very much. transfering money isnt going to be much of a problem once i have a bank, im going to do it thru for-ex they give a great rate just about half a baht lower than rates quoted online, so at the moment its about 50.50 to the pound i'll get 50baht, and should take no more than 3 days to clear...
    so really just after a good bank for a hole in the wall card.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Tim at the risk of just being plain nosey - and i've maybe missed it if you've already posted your plans - but is this you doing a Christian and upping sticks and moving to Thailand to give it a try for a while ?? If so best of luck with it, I'm both looking forward to reading about your adventures there and also ever so slightly jealous !

Liked

no need to be jealous, im a boring old fucker !!!
    im going to be a student for how ever long it lasts, could be 2 or 3 years, could be forever.
    ive got me new school cap and tie already, a roll over 1 year visa with no need for a visa run.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Wow, now I've heard of being a mature student but I'm guessing you're over 40 now so that's really getting into the mature student end of the market - but hey good for you and no matter how boring you think you're going to be I'm guessing being Thailand you'll still end up having a ball ( so again at the risk of just being plain nosey) so what are you going to do for an income then ( assuming that you need one that is and assuming that you can't and wont be working !) as a couple of years living without something coming in would put a brave dent in anyones savings I would guess and whilst I know they're big into the lottery in Thailand you DO know that just moving there doesn't mean you're going to win it you don't you - just checking ! :-)

Oh and as for schools and caps if your school was anything like mine the only caps that were ever seen about my place was the ones all the 14 year girls were wearing to stop getting pregnant from all the 15 year old boys that they were shagging every other night ! ( they were a classy lot those birds and that's no lie :-) lol

Liked

money !!!! i knew there was something i forgot !!!!
    i shall be letting me house out, and 20 years of doing 70 or 80 hours a week kinda sorts out the bank balance,
    as for mature 40 ha try 51, i hope im not older than the teacher tho, kinda loses the kink.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Fair play to ya, good to see someone getting up and shaking their life up a bit and as you say what the hells the point of working all those hours if you can't take the time to enjoy the fruits of your labour while you're still young and healthy enough to enjoy it - just like your comments on the thread about the wills I totally agree with you as to whats the point of working just to leave it all behind you, blow the bloody lot I say and leave the dogs home to look elsewhere as I'm sure they'll manage ( even though I love dogs). So, a farang arriving with loads of free time, surrounded by young students and who has a shit load of money stashed in his bank account, I've a feeling you're about to become the most popular student in the school ! - well especially when it comes to buying the whiskey if nothing else ! I'm sure you're excited as hell at the prospect and also quietly shitting yourself at the huge change of life thats about to hit you ! Life's short and you're taking it by the balls - good for you !