Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Your Belongings Safe in your room

Liked

Keeping Your Belongings Safe in your room

This trip I am bringing a new laptop with me to Thailand in-order to log into my employers computer system by way of a VPN installed on my laptop. I purchased this laptop specifically for this trip so that I could leave my employer provided laptop at home. The Laptop I am taking with me is exactly the same as the laptop my employer provided me and I want to keep it safe. I purchased a laptop combination cable lock and I am wondering if anyone has a better lock that they could suggest? (The laptop is 17" and far to big to fit into the safe).

I am thinking of trying to find a motion alarm that I could put in a closet that would go off if the door was opened.

Why do I want this? Well I have met some guys who have shown himself to be less than trustworthy and for the most part I have been lucky with the guys I have invited back to my room and a few times I have been not so lucky.

I'm not going to stop picking up guys I meet on the street or in the bars so the best thing for me to do is to learn some tips and tricks from my fellow visitors.

These are the good'ol days

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Keeping Your Belongings Safe in your room

Hmmm... Not sure what baggage you travel with but first solution that comes to mind is to just stick it in your suitcase, which I assume is LOCKED when you're not in your room. I usually leave my valuables in the suitcase and only use the room safe for valuables I need to access quickly and frequently, e.g. mobile phones, laptops, camera, money, passport etc. Quicker to flip open the safe than my suitcase.

Another alternative is to leave it with reception's safekeeping service.

Motion sensors in wardrobes etc. don't sound practical as they will be set off by anyone innocently opening it (e.g. looking for an extra blanket) and housekeeping.

The ability to fit into a safe is something you probably should have considered a higher priority when you selected that model. Some of the hotels I stay at do have safes big enough to fit a 17 incher but most don't, so the incremental inconvenience of a 17 inch over something like a 13 or 14 inch laptop is pretty significant.

Liked

How do you log onto you're employers site? Through a website? Would an iPad or other tablet work? Two of my co-workers found these HP devices that convert from a laptop into a tablet and are just a tad larger than the typical tablet - perfect size for travel.

I used to travel with a laptop (17" and a 14"), but now that I have an iPad, it suits my needs. It has everything I need for when I'm away and I never have a problem getting it in a safe. The 17" would never fit in a safe, 50/50 with the 14".

There are VPN apps in the iTunes store which allow me to log onto a variety of worldwide servers for a reasonable rate, no subscription. Not sure how that would work, but I know VPN is available.

I can also tether them and use the data off my iPhone for the iPad when I'm there. I'm perfectly happy having the iPad as a travel toy.

I keep anything of value in a safe, and if it's really important I leave it in the safe with the front desk . I have left stuff in luggage before, but considering how easy it is to cut locks and separate zippers on those, it's really not a secure way to secure anything of value.

Liked

What type of place are you staying, bucky?

I have traveled with the laptop before...when work projects are at critical junctions and I need to be connected. The cable lock is an OK first option...the downside is trying to find something permanent to secure the cable to. Most of the places have very cheap furniture that are not suitable to "anchor" the cable. It also means the laptop will be out in the open and visible.

I have had luck with hard sided containers/luggage that can be locked. The downside is someone can just remove the luggage and open it up later. If you go this route, I would never let anyone (guest, hotel staff, etc) know there is a laptop in there....but still not a perfect solution.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bucknaway
    The Laptop I am taking with me is exactly the same as the laptop my employer provided me and I want to keep it safe
    Why did you buy another large Laptop for travelling? I have a 15" HP laptop, which I took overseas with me a couple of times, but the 2.5kg and size was not convenient. So I bought an HP 10" Netbook 10", less than half the size and weight but which is laid out exactly as my main HP laptop and the thing which surprises is that it can do everything the larger one can (with no restrictions due to smaller screen) and the keyboard is identical except for not having the number block on the right side of keyboard. It works a treat and would fit most in-room safes (although I've ever tried it as I just put it out of sight in the most convenient place at the time when not in the room, I don't take guys I don't know back to my room).

I realise it's probably not an option for you if you have done lots of work already on your new one and therefore cannot return it, but the info is for anyone else like me who wants to take a laptop with all the functions they are used to but something far less bulky.

Liked

I purchased a duplicate laptop of my work laptop to work with the laptop docks and to get support from my I.T. Worker that has a limited ability when working on equipment. As well as it being able to handle the software provided by my employer that allows me to connect to their server by way of VPN and access the corporate purchasing and inventory system. They are working on making it comparable with tablets and phones but as of now only a PC can manage the connection,
    These are the good'ol days

Liked

The simplest and maybe the cheapest option is to rent a room-by-the-hour when your carnal desires take hold of you.

Liked

I have a similar concern. For my upcoming trip I have bought what I think of as a portable 'safe.' This is a steel meshed bag with a steel cable. It is very difficult to get into and can be securely locked to some else, like a pipe, or the under-the-bed metal frame. I found various sizes and models at Amamzon.com. Mine easily fits into my regular luggage and will secure my laptop, etc. in my rental in BKK.

Pacsafe Luggage Travelsafe 12L , Black
    10 oz stone washed canvas, high-tensile stainless steel wire
    smart exomesh┬о cage system
    Locks closed & locks to fixture
    easy to take with you whenever you need to Lock and Leave valuables -- handy for securing your valuables in your hotel room, suitcase, vehicle, or even at home.
    Chelsea NYC

Liked

I think lugging around a 17" laptop while traveling will get old very quickly. I have a 10" (notebook that is) and it fits fine in the room safe, very lightweight, and does what I need.

I don't know the specifics of your VPN setup, but if it is like mine it should be no problem loading the software. Do you use a token for code generation? The Notebooks are priced reasonably and it might be smart to give one a try and use it as an opportunity for your IT guy to expand his knowledge.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz

Liked

OP: well if u are staying in a hotel, why not leave the laptop at reception when you are outside?