Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chiang Mai shenanigans

Liked

Chiang Mai shenanigans

Hi,

May I solicit some advice please regarding Chiang Mai. My Partner and I intend to visit this year, after Songkran, which we will spend in Pattaya тАУ and would just like a few pointersтАж

Accommodation тАУ any recommendations please on where to stay? Plan to do lots of touristy stuff in and around Chiang Mai, so not too concerned with being near the gay scene, but at the same time would be nice to not be a long way from it. Chang Puek (which I gather is where the nightlife is?) looks like it is quite a distance from Thapae Gate/Night Bazaar etc. Is it far, or is the map I am looking at misleading? Once IтАЩve seen the Night Bazaar тАУ is there much else to do around there anyway?

Tour guides тАУ will be seeking the services of a good tour guide. There seem to be many to choose from, so could anyone recommend one from personal experience please?

Finally, offing тАУ what is the accepted going rate in Chiang Mai to tip should I feel an itch?

Thanks in advance,

Pepperami

Liked

Re: Chiang Mai shenanigans

Quote Originally Posted by pepperami
    Hi,

May I solicit some advice please regarding Chiang Mai. My Partner and I intend to visit this year, after Songkran, which we will spend in Pattaya тАУ and would just like a few pointersтАж
    Pepperami
    It would be helpful to have some more information, but I will give it a shot.
    1. First off the gay scene is not just in the Chang Phuek area of town. There are gay thing around the night market, off huey Kaew, in the santitam area, off of Chang Klang, etc.
    2. Our Scene in Chiang Mai is different then Pattaya, Phuket or bangkok. Most of the go-go bioys are straight, but there are good go-go show. There are freelancer that you can find in some of the bars and in other places in town and there are dozens of gay massage parlors.
    Now I don't have to list all of these places and it is already here and very well done:
    http://www.radchada.com/gay-chiang-mai- ... guide.html
    Do read this site.
    As for a guide and accommodations these are my recommendations, but others would offer you other choices. In my opinion, There is no better place to stay or better
    guides what you get a PJ's place. They are the best host in town and know everyone and everyplace to go. However, at this late date you will be extremely lucky to find an opening in their place as they are usually booked months ahead. Here is their web site: www.pjs-place.com
    Once again for gay accomodations the radchada web site is your best best. If you wish to stay non-gay and still be central, then i can tell you that every place that I know of in Chiang Mai is gay friendly. Some gays I know have stayed at the Mercure. Some have liked it, others have hated it. M hotel by Taepae gate is both central, close to the action and reasonable. Look around per your budget, there are plenty of places to stay and from the Radchada web site you can get an idea of what you want to be near. Oh, I am married and not sure of the prices but think 1000 short time and 1500 all night is close to the mark and may be the top.
    Now songkran here is three days and you will get wet from morning to dusk. Plan on it and take it in stride. Anywhere on the moat is fun to be at, but my favorite place is at SOHO bar where you are in the middle of non-stop action but can find a place to get or stay dry.

Hope this helps and enjoy yourself in Chiang Mai---The Rose of the North.

Liked

Chiang Mai remains one of my favourite destinations; I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    I shall make a controversial recommendation for a hotel. I know I'll be shot down in flames but I was really impressed when I took my boyfriend and a mate of his there a few months ago.
    The Mercure (formerly Novotel).
    Yes, I know; straight, ageing, a bus ride from the centre- but astonishingly low prices for well-equipped rooms. And a really warm welcome from the staff; the girls thought my two friends were very cute- correctly so- and treated us all well.
    Check out Agodo prices. I must admit that I was tempted by these offers more than by anything else.

It's within walking distance of Adam's Apple and not far from the shopping mall (number one venue for eye candy).

Liked

thanks for the great and thoughtful advice guys - always very much appreciated...

looks like we're going to spend maybe 2 weeks there, so think I'll book somewhere for the first couple of nights - then play it by ear :happy7:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pepperami
    looks like we're going to spend maybe 2 weeks there, so think I'll book somewhere for the first couple of nights - then play it by ear :happy7:
    If you're staying for a couple of weeks you might want to consider a serviced apartment. I've been hearing good things about this new place: The opium Chiang Mai It's in Chang Puek area close to several gay restaurants and bars. Their weekly rates are a great deal. Another new place in the same area is: Villa Korbhun Khinbua

As a tourist attraction the Night Bazaar market area has declined in recent years. The Saturday and Sunday walking street markets are now much better attractions for handicrafts etc. After Songkran hotel rates will drop. You could try one of the five star hotels around down town for your first couple of nights - if you can get a good rate online. e.g. the Chedi, D2, Shangrila, Le Meridien. Or more boutique, perhaps the Rachamankha or 137 Pillars house if you really want to splurge for a couple of nights You can check them on trip advisor.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

Liked

Thanks for the top tips BongTong, especially regarding the night bazaar area. I won't get too hung up then if I'm not staying nearby.

Both of those service apartments look great, I need to agree with the other half some sort of plan. We're soo indecisive. Originally, we were aiming to head Phuket way - and have a pure beach touring holiday. That evolved into a head south, but take a little peak at Chiang Mai for a few days. The more we read about Chiang Mai, its looking like we're not too bothered about seeing the beaches at all now!

:kap:

Liked

Don't write off the night Bazaar bars completely. While there are only two bars left they are some of the busiest gay places in town, and the place where a lot of Chiang Mai regulars and Thai freelancer can be found. Hehehe you might ask BonTong how things went for him a couple of weeks ago. That boy looked cute to me.

Liked

We have been reading with great interest all the posts regarding Chiang Mai, we will be there in April and have been looking at the Kantary Hills Hotel, is this a good choice, we do like to go out every night, is this a good location? any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if you know of somewhere you feel may fit the bill beter, and of course not be adverse to having joiners.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by vanek333
    We have been reading with great interest all the posts regarding Chiang Mai, we will be there in April and have been looking at the Kantary Hills Hotel, is this a good choice, we do like to go out every night, is this a good location? any feedback would be greatly appreciated, even if you know of somewhere you feel may fit the bill beter, and of course not be adverse to having joiners.
    Hopefully Bon tong will jump on your question as well. Kantary hils is a first class hotel, I see nothing wrong with staying there. That said, i do not know of any gays who have stayed there. While it is on one of the main street for night life, there is little gay activity on that street. What they do have there is great food and a lot of cute college types and a nearby park that one can cruise. One drawback at night is that the street is very crowded, and because of that it can take you awhile to get anywhere else you may wish to go. Also most of the activity on the street is the very young Thai college crowd. Since you are asking, I probably would not recommend that particular hotel, for a single gay. As i said earlier Bon Tong may have better information on the Kantary for gays. I eat there when they have buffets and the food is good.
    As to where you should stay, I think that is covered in the above posts on this thread, but Bon Tong may have more information on the Kantary Hotel and other suggestions for you.

Liked

visit Siam Insect Zoo http://www.malaeng.com/blog/ Best 200 baht I have ever spent. The butterfly house is incredible.