Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To retire in the Land of Smiles

Liked

To retire in the Land of Smiles

I have been visiting Thailand for holidays over a thirty year period and I am now thinking of retiring from work within the next five years. Naturally, I am thinking of the merits of moving to the LOS. However, I would seek guidance from SGT expats living there as to their views. My initial thought would be to start by spending the European winters in Thailand, given that living somewhere for a prolonged period is very different from holidaying there for a couple of weeks each year. I would rent initially rather than buy for this reason. But is this fair on my BF who I know is keen for me to live year round - I am wise enough to know that love is probably not his prime motivation. I also wonder what I would do for much of the day? Would most of you suggest living in a main resort like Pattaya despite the higher costs? I cannot see myself living out in the rural areas unless you can offer some suggestions. I read with interest the lives of you who live here and I would pleased to learn more. I love Thailand, it's people, culture, food, and the Buddhist outlook on life, and yes the hot, tight, fit Thai lads, especially those caramel Isan men. Your thoughts much appreciated. :withstupid:

Re: To retire in the Land of Smiles

I want to do the same as you in the future...but limited by my budjet.....my bf wants me to live in isaan with him because he realise's it would be very hard for him to be to get visitor visa for uk....my next trip to his village will be my 5th time...but we want to be together so much

Liked

Bluechris,have you lived in Isaan for long periods?
    Do you think you will get bored there? I didn't think you were of retirement age?

But yes to both of you,do it,if you don't do it you'll never know,I done it,still doing it,but will "get out of it " soon.
    Maybe a long break away from Thailand then 6 months here,6 months in my home country until i reach 50 then i may come back full time.

Thanks...i'm a type of person who allways has a goal...and i do like isaan..i'm usually there a month at a time and got to know all his family and extended family and friends...me and my bf talk online every day on facebook...and i even talk to his friends on facebook regular......i dont seem to get bored when i'm there..we allways find things to do
    i've built up a good friendship with his circle...and love going round to different houses on his motercycle drinking and playing music and every week go to an isaan concert ...i love dancing and they are the same...very high spirited

Liked

Sounds great ,but just take into account when you live here things are not the same as the holidaying mode .
    Of course if your BF and you split up as me and mine did then plans go differently dont they.

I always always believe it;'s better to have some sort of security ,house etc left in your own homeland just in case you need to go back.

Yes Clive your right ..all these things i've thought about....and not rushing into anything....but i cant stop this burning desire to be with him..not in holiday mode..just living a simple life...i'd be happy with that...all my friends in manchester think i should go for it

Liked

I take it you still work?If that's the case can't you take 12 months off without pay ,then try living with your BF to see how things go.
    Of course once you live here on limited income,then the drinking dancing partying tends to slow down a lot.

I work for myself and rent my place with a housing asociation..dont have any family ties and i'm buddist ha ha
    but still realise it wont be easy but sometimes you get a reward for making the effort

Liked

Bluechris when you move to Thailand and live with your Bf do you intend to set up home together or live with his family. May I ask does your Bf work and will he continue to do so? I have told my Bf who is some 20 years younger than me that I would not expect him to become a layabout. He will need to work in some capacity for his own dignity or am I being a fool. He likes the good life when I am on holiday but I have told him it cannot be party time every day when I am retired. It will be interesting to see how this relationship works out. They say there is no fool like and old fool and I like to indulge him and maybe living together will prove how strong our relationship is.

Bluechris1 - If you could live together with him in Thailand whether it be Pattaya or Issan or wherever for 2 years, and keep it documented - he would then stand a reasonable chance of getting a UK Visa based on that.

Now it may well be that after 2 years you'd have no reason or desire to return to the UK with him but it's always another option - but remember you'd have to have had, say, rent books in joint names, photos, joint Thai Bank Account and any other documentation you can think of to prove the relationship. And, of course, you'd have to be able to prove Income of around 18K in UK to support him (but there are ways around that).

Worth remembering at least.

To Rat Thai asking about jobs - if it were me I'd be trying to carry on my existing occupation, rather than try to get a work permit based on an occupation I could demonstrate no skills or experience in :dontknow: But other people will advise you better - I freely admit I'm guessing!