Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Some Valuable Health Insurance Info

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Some Valuable Health Insurance Info

As many of you know I am not an insurance advisor nor do I happen to read every single sentence in all my agreements so I want to repeat a story I told you all long time ago. As you know I have been coming to Thailand every other month for many years until I decided to have an extended stay a long time ago.

After several months of claims my insurance company, Humana otherwise known as Employers Health casually asked if they could see a copy of my passport. Unwittingly I turned over a copy and thier response was that I had been out of the country for over 6 months or was it 90 days, I can't recall and that a very small provision of my policy stated that if I was going out of the USA for more than the period of time, I needed to contact them and pay and additional premium. Bottom line? Insurance cancelled and they demanded all the money back that had been paid out by them after the time that the insurance should have been void!

Of course my reaction was that they should have been very happy that I got ill outside of the USA where hospitalization is a fraction of what it is in the states and that liability was also but no they wanted to pay nothing. Now as all the problems are pre existing there is no health insurance company that would have the stupidity to touch me unless they had the pre existing clause and everything could be considered pre-existing so insurance for me is worthless.

Now God forbid something were really huge, I could return to the states and get low class free hospitalization but who wants that?! SSI/Disability for which I have applied for looks like it will be approved but Medicaid will not kick in until after 2 years on SSI/Disability and it does not pay for any medical care you recieve outside the USA.

Bottom line, check every insurance policy very carefully and ask all these questions! They love to take the money and not pay out.

Re: Some Valuable Health Insurance Info

Ok, my experience in no way compares to your in terms of gravity but it does confirm how Insurance Companies operate.

A few years ago I saw in an Optician's window a most beautiful pair of Oakley sunglasses with blue mirrored lenses and I just had to have them for my next trip to Thailand !
    However, they were non-prescription which was no good to me so I had to have the lenses replaced with blue-mirrored prescription ones - which really bumped the price up to around $450-500.
    I managed to keep them safe for 2 or 3 years until one time in Pattaya they disappeared - god knows where they went.
    Anyway, no problem I thought - I have travel insurance!
    You've guessed already that they didn't pay out, but the reason was pretty astonishing - they'd have happily paid out $450 for Oakley sunglasses, just not prescription ones.

Yes, of course it's all buried in the small, small print - but they know full well you probably wont read it.

Liked

Re: Some Valuable Health Insurance Info

It is also recommended to call your health insurer before leaving your country and ask about the coverage process for international travel and any limits on length of travel.
    If you burn your neighbors house down, it doesn't make your house look any better. - Lou Holtz