Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BUPA Health Insurance

Forum's veteran
    Liked

BUPA Health Insurance

I know this topic was discussed last year - but forgot the details.

Do any of you guys use BUPA for your health insurance coverage in LOS?

Which plan option did you select: Crystal, Sunshine, Platinum, etc.?

Are there any pitfalls to avoid when using BUPA?

Someone mentioned that being a member of the Pattaya Xpat Club can result in a discount with BUPA. Anyone have informnation on this?

Thanks in advance.

Liked: 1

Re: BUPA Health Insurance

I have had platinum BUPA for a number of years now and I'm very happy with it. No expat discount I'm aware of.

They refund 10% of the annual premium after renewal if you have had no claims during the previous year.

Liked

I run a group under Thai health. Check their website for coverage at WH3000.

Because we are a group...we apy on avg 15 to 20 % less per person according to their age.

Exmpl: 50 year old pays 15000....in the group pays 12000.

PM me for a list of the benefits. You must be under 59.....and then we will cover you till 65.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

For those of us who hadn't heard of it I did as one of our more prominent posters does and Googled it: BUPA is "an international healthcare company with customers in over 190 countries". There are links for every country - but if you're in the USA:

http://www.bupa-intl.com/?cmpid=bupa...alth_insurance

Never tried them, but as has been discussed elsewhere insurance is important for almost all of us. Maybe Travelerjim will check in and give us a professional's input on them.

Its as good as it gets if you pay through Expats Club, BUPA seems to be ok, but its the over 65s that will have the most difficulty with an economical policy, now if you know of one that does not cost thousands of $ dollars and is registered in agreement with the Thai Insurance policies. let us all know. That would be good.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The expats that work where I am, have a choice between BUPA or an American Health insurance. The ones that choose BUPA like it because immediatley the hospitals (private) accept it whereas with the American one, it is "hit and miss" with which hospital will accepet it and if the charges are acceptable. BUPA has a good reputation.

I'm 66 with diabetes, high blood pressure, and high colesteral and come to Thailand from Canada for about 200 days a year. All of this makes health insurrance very, very expensive. I am active, in good shape, and feeling healthy and all my conditions are well controlled by medication but none of this is taken into account when premiums are quoted.

I am mostly concerned about being involved in some accident requiring emergency medical treatment which has nothing to do with diabetes, HBP or high colesteral. Can you get limited insurance that covers conditions not envolving these pre-conditions?

As a Canadian, I always relied on Canada's universal health care therefore did not need additional coverage. I bought travel insurance for trips but now premiums for a 3 month trip cost nearly $2000. For the past few trips, I've been putting that money (now $8000) into a separate bank account as my own health insurance.

I have always believed that my Canadian Health Care does not extend outside the country but I was wrong. I just discouvered does have some limited coverage. If you're Canadian you should check out this website: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/p ... ravel.aspx

Here is what OHIP (Canada/Ontario) will pay out.
    How much will OHIP pay?
    ┬╖ "The amount that OHIP pays is set by regulation. The amount paid for out-of-country health services is very limited and usually will not be sufficient to cover the full cost of the services rendered. OHIP covers only very limited amounts for hospital, health facility and physician services. You are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance every time you leave Canada to cover any expenses in excess of the limited funding provided by OHIP. You should also ensure that you understand the amount of protection provided by your supplementary health insurance provider because the amount of coverage may vary significantly from one insurance carrier to another. You should also check with your supplementary health insurance provider to determine if there are restrictions relating to pre-existing health conditions if these health conditions were not disclosed at the time your policy was purchased.
    ┬╖ For physician services, OHIP will pay the actual cost billed by the out-of-country physician(s) or the cost of the same physician service(s) in Ontario, whichever is less. Physician services in Ontario are usually rendered at a significantly lower cost than those billed at out-of-country health facilities. Please note that out-of-country health facilities and physicians usually bill separately.
    ┬╖ For outpatient emergency room services, OHIP will pay $50 Canadian (CDN) per day.
    ┬╖ For inpatient services, OHIP will pay $200 CDN per day. If the services are inpatient services rendered in an operating room, coronary care unit, intensive care unit, neonatal or pediatric special care unit, then OHIP will pay at the higher rate of $400 CDN per day for hospital services.
    ┬╖ For outpatient dialysis services, OHIP will pay $210 CDN per day.
    The тАЬper dayтАЭ rates listed above cover all hospital inpatient services including, but not limited to, accommodation, meals, prescription drugs, surgically implanted devices and nursing services.
    Note: OHIP does not pay for ambulance services, transportation costs, or out-of-hospital food/accommodation/drugs or prescriptions."

Liked

Dodger,

BUPA is OK...but read the fine print and exclusions.

BUPA (and most Thai policies I have read)...
    Pays a reduced benefit of 50% if med care due to motorbike accident...
    NO pre-existing conditions covered....
    and OK if you apply before age 60...
    Never pays for HIV related med care..NEVER!

The Expat club offerings are OK too....
    Similar exclusions as BUPA...
    and OK IF you are under age 59 1/2 when first apply.

Take good care,

tj
    Soon to be back in Thailand in early September
    Tj

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for the feedback you guys.

So far - no negatives about BUPA coverage so I think I'll set an appontment with the BUPA PTY agent when I return in October.

Much appreciated.

Does any one know of a good Policy for the over 65s as all the ones I have seen, are going into thousands of dollars a year, so far.