Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: MANCHESTER/UK=GB a gay destination?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

MANCHESTER/UK=GB a gay destination?

Yes, I mean this city-the 2nd in the Uk (I think). Just the other day some local newspaper here in Nederland showed a top10 list of current gay destinations-and the mention of this city surprised me.
    As there are probably more Brits on this forum who may know a little more as me-could you imagine this and explain if this city has changed (I only know it from visits till some 4-5 years ago) in this field and what it has to offer?

Liked

Re: MANCHESTER/UK=GB a gay destination?

The "gay ghetto" area centres on Canal Street. Last time I was there on business there had been a murder in the area, female prostitute, I gather, in the early hours. The "c" from the Canal Street sign had been obliterated. Very apt.

Not a place I'd go out of my way to visit.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by pong
    Yes, I mean this city-the 2nd in the Uk (I think). Just the other day some local newspaper here in Nederland showed a top10 list of current gay destinations-and the mention of this city surprised me.
    As there are probably more Brits on this forum who may know a little more as me-could you imagine this and explain if this city has changed (I only know it from visits till some 4-5 years ago) in this field and what it has to offer?
    I have never been to Manchester, England but I have always wanted to go as it houses a world class art gallery. Not quite as big as the National Gallery, but it does have a very impressive collection of some of Englands finest artist. It is a must see for followers of the pre-Raphaelite movement in art. I found this website looking for the art gallery and it has quite a bit about Manchester.

http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/arts/a ... ries1.html

Did Riyadh make the list? If not, they should expect an angry letter from allieb the flogger.

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    Did Riyadh make the list? If not, they should expect an angry letter from allieb the flogger.
    You dont give up do you. I suppose you would like to divert this post into your private entertainment agenda.

Back to Manchester

Manchester is very gay friendly with Canal St as the center of gay entertainment. I spent some time there with a Saudi friend in the spring and we had a very nice time. Everythnig was half the price of London. A drink in a bar or club 2 pounds, a good meal in canal St (Villagio) about 20 pounds a head from the menu Set menu of the day 9.95 a head. Entrance to Clubs like Cruz 101 is 3 pounds weekday 5 pounds weekend. Many places open till early hours of the morning 5 AM . All in all I found it to be a great place to visit.
    http://www.cruz101.com/
    http://www.manchester.com/restaurants/d ... lagio.html

It works out better value than Thailand excep of course the sex. A good place to take a lover.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    You dont give up do you. I suppose you would like to divert this post into your private entertainment agenda.
    You know me too well. Thank you, sir; may I have another? 7,000 already? Please, just one more! Pretty please!

Quote Originally Posted by allieb

Manchester is very gay friendly with Canal St as the center of gay entertainment. I spent some time there with a Saudi friend in the spring and we had a very nice time. Everythnig was half the price of London. A drink in a bar or club 2 pounds, a good meal in canal St (Villagio) about 20 pounds a head from the menu Set menu of the day 9.95 a head. Entrance to Clubs like Cruz 101 is 3 pounds weekday 5 pounds weekend. Many places open till early hours of the morning 5 AM . All in all I found it to be a great place to visit.
    http://www.cruz101.com/
    http://www.manchester.com/restaurants/d ... lagio.html

It works out better value than Thailand excep of course the sex. A good place to take a lover.
    Hmmmm - those of us who have been visiting the gay area of Manchester for 20/30yrs know a little different. The problem now (and ever since "Queer as Folk" aired on TV actually) is that on a Fri/Sat night the place is swamped with hoardes of str8 females who come to see the poofs. They usually end up pissed as farts and vomiting on to the floor or into their handbags by 11pm - meanwhile genuine gay lads can't get into some of the pubs because they are full of such trash.

As far as the sex trade is concerned you may be fortunate enough to find a young lad in one of the 2 bars which are known to attract young business boys. Of course you will not find any go-go boys but it is still possible to find a cute "scally" boy who will do a turn for around ┬г40/50 - if you know where to go :-)

:occasion9:

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy

Hmmmm - those of us who have been visiting the gay area of Manchester for 20/30yrs know a little different. The problem now (and ever since "Queer as Folk" aired on TV actually) is that on a Fri/Sat night the place is swamped with hoardes of str8 females who come to see the poofs.
    :occasion9:
    I used to go there frequently, sometimes with a lover My favourite was Manhattans, on the corner of Shackville St

Re Q A F .... It was an almost true representation of my early life.... I know all the Dr Who's Too :evil4:

Going out and having to make a concious decision.....
    TONIGHT I NEED SLEEP, I will go home alone ! most nights I continued to miss my sleep :love8:

Liked

I was there in January this year--I admit I knew nothing about Mancs before I went; in fact, it was quite difficult to find ANY travel guide to Manchester on short notice--which says a few things:
    Not many tourists visit it, compared to most other European/UK destinations.
    But as a frequent traveller, I often like those kinds of places MORE than tourist-swamped places like Amsterdam or Paris, for a few reasons:
    1) You can see a "working city" instead of made-for-tourists "old towns" with mainly t-shirt shops, like much of Europe's smaller cities and capitals have. In fact, the Immigration guy at Manchester Airport was puzzled as to why I was coming to spend a 4-day weekend in Manchester as a tourist, without any business bringing me there!
    2) Shopping is surprisingly good--most of the big UK retailers have decently-sized shops, and even better--they are all in the compact city centre, walking distance to each other. Eating is good, too, and quite reasonable. Hotel choices are well-priced, especially on weekends.
    3) Very walkable downtown area.
    4) And now, I will admit to my slutty behavior--there seems to be a surfeit of African, Middle Eastern, and black guys who need some lovin'. :thumbleft:
    I enjoyed meet-ups (from gaydar and gayromeo) with guys from Gambia, Morocco, Ghana, and Cameroon! I do like white guys too, but maybe the immigrants in Mancs likes to meet guys from out of town (?) or are less-loved.... that hasn't happened anywhere else I've been, in that kind of volume.
    Is it exciting like London? No. But for a long weekend, I prefer it because it's smaller, more manageable, and easier to navigate than London, where depending on your accommodations and what you like to do, you might be on the Tube a lot. I prefer to walk around and enjoy a city. But of course, YMMV.