Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Songkran in Pattaya

Liked: 1

Songkran in Pattaya

I saw somewhere this past week that Songkran..water.powder and all, is to be celebrated on Sep 18 in Pattaya. Is that in fact true? How long will it last? i will be returning tha tnite from a China trip and want to decide where to stay for my last few days in LOS. Should I venture to Pattaya and enjoy the man made rains or stay up in Bkk? Whatcha think? maybe the boys will be in a friskier mood or will they even be around? arty
    Thanks...Bill

Espa??a some times - Pattaya rest of the time.

Re: Songkran in Pattaya

Songkran is in April not September and I am pretty sure its from 16th to 19th .... cant wait arty

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Songkran should be celebrated in Bangkok April 13 - 15 with the biggest day on the 15th. Outlying cities like Pattaya will celebrate Songkran between April 13 - 16th with the biggest days to be the 15th and 16th. I thought it was over on on the 15th but my Thai calendar says 16th. It is rare to get hit with water after those dates and would only be by a stupid falang but it surely is not uncommon to get hit with water in the first few days before!
    arty

OK good...well i am sure I did in fact write April and some how it ended up as September. But then i guess what i had read about it being 18 Apr was in fact not correct. But i guess it still falls about the 15th. All settled then. Seee ya all soon where ever you may be.

Bill

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Someone just wrote to me and said it ends on the 19th. I can only say what my Thai calendar says. Its got those dates in red and if they were correct, which I think my dates might be, it covers the weekend. The other dates are weekdays. as I said, I bow to someonelse's intelligence on this.

I absolutely hate Songkran the way Pattaya celebrates it, and I know many resident Farangs who feel the same as I do. We get out of town that week, if possible. A few (like Dodger obviously) enjoy getting drunk out of their minds and find it fun--but I don't.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DaBoss
    Someone just wrote to me and said it ends on the 19th. I can only say what my Thai calendar says. Its got those dates in red and if they were correct, which I think my dates might be, it covers the weekend. The other dates are weekdays. as I said, I bow to someonelse's intelligence on this.
    Songkran in Pattaya never changes from year to year

Pattaya Songkran always starts on the 18th in naklua
    And moves gradualll southwards over 36 hours to engulf all of Pattaya and Jomtien... (and long may it continue :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye: )

On the 20th it is pretty rare to find people throwing water in Pattaya area... but if you are desperate for more fun you can find it in Sattahip o the 20th
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

yes-colmx has it right (and a short warning to khun DaBoss) in PTY they always have slightly different dates. A few days later as the normal big Thai days.

Liked

The regular days celebrated throughout Thailand are 13, 14, & 15 (hence the marked days on Thai calendars). However, I have lived in Pattaya for 10 years and they always have their "official' celebration afterward -- some time ago, I recall reading that this was because most Thais in Pattaya are from elsewhere and go home to visit family on the regular days, so Pattaya (Naklua, etc.) do theirs later so these Thais can celebrate again with their friends/co-workers, etc. in Pattaya.

But, the water throwing starts in Pattaya and environs on the regular days without regard to what the City fathers declare -- and, it carries on until the end of Pattaya and Naklua's officially declared days for observation - which are the 18th and 19th -- so if in Pattaya, expect to get inundated from the 13th to the 19th (admittedly, the "official" day(s) are the worst with bumper to bumper traffic on the main roads with pickups and other open bed trucks having barrels of water and a "crew" to throw it on all and sundry.

My bf loves it and goes out every day to enjoy Songkran -- me, I lay in a stock of supplies and hibernate during that period --- I'm not fond of having water poured over me (or the recipient of a high powered water gun - those are usually in the hand of drunken farangs - they are also supposedly banned, but like many other "rules," not enforced) -- but, I could probably handle some of that -- it's the powder that I can't stand.

Thanks for the info PNP, most appreciated so we understand.
    Me? well for 2 years I got into and had a ball but as PNP says, I hated the powder!. These days I worry about slipping and falling as the powder is everywhere and mixed with water can be slippery. Also all the people playing a very drunka nd don't mean harm but they don't ask how you are health wise before they make sure you are included in their fun.

So! I like to spend the first few days of Songkran in Pattaya getting ready and the day it ends in Bangkok and starts in Pattaya I run like hell to Bangkok and hide in the Shagri-la coming back on the 20th and help supervise the cleaning up of the bar which is CLOSED on the biggest Songkran day the 19th.
    Leave it to the kids!