Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electrical explosion In Pattaya 8 killed 54 Injured UPDATE

Liked

Before announcing Code Red ....

Quote Originally Posted by let me tell u
    Route 99 North Pattaya Disco has had a very big expolsion just now, as I was passing, I see flames every where as its burning to the ground. I was told 8 known to be dead so far??? may be Electrical Fire ..... More News as it comes in...when it comes on TV or news Web sites.
    Well perhaps it is best for everyone to wait and see and discover some real truths before breathless postings.

Now you write this: " ... NOT A BOMB some people will do anything to get attention ... " (and I assume you mean American Teacher's post) but I do recall that in your first message about this incident you wrote that 40 people were killed.
    So that's now been edited down (twice) to a probably more realistic 8. You've also edited your original Subject line to take out the larger figure.

Quote Originally Posted by LMTY
    ... you should do like I do, always check your information before you post it to the world. Irresponsible I call it ... "
    Indeed.

I think that American Teacher was simply posting his message out of visceral horror at what happened. He probably wanted to do this as quickly as possible and in his haste reported 'developing' news, not 'final' news.
    You did the exact same thing ... i.e. with errors. In that light, you accusing someone else of being irresponsible is, eh, IMHO, bloody stupid,

Cheers ...

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

7 dead 49 injured Bangkok Post

Pattaya disco fire kills 7
    A fire hit an entertainment complex in North Pattaya last night killing at least seven people and injuring at least 49 bar-goers. Police said most of the people killed and injured at Route 999 entertainment complex were Thai customers and staff who were caught off guard when the fire started about 8.15pm, shortly after the place opened for business.

The blaze apparently started from the DJ room inside a discotheque in the complex, police said, but they still could not tell what caused it.

Police said many customers were already inside the complex and the staff were attending a routine briefing when the fire started.

Bodies of the victims were sent to Bang Lamung hospital while the injured were sent to a few other hospitals by relief volunteers. Police said they believed more people could be trapped inside the disco but firemen have yet to enter the building for fear the structure might collapse.

Route 999 entertainment complex is on Pattaya 3 road in North Pattaya. The complex is made up of a pub, a disco and a go-go bar covering an area of about 1,000 square metres.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Perhaps this is a difference between the different Englishes we speak and write, but when I'm told a building is burning to the ground (as was reported by a certain accuracy-nitpicking individual in two separate threads), I would expect to NOT see the walls standing. However, the photos at http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_07_05_49.htm, seem to clearly show the structure rather intact after the fire.

Liked

LMBU -- What a laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    I think that American Teacher was simply posting his message out of visceral horror at what happened. He probably wanted to do this as quickly as possible and in his haste reported 'developing' news, not 'final' news.
    You did the exact same thing ... i.e. with errors. In that light, you accusing someone else of being irresponsible is, eh, IMHO, bloody stupid,

Cheers ...
    Thank you Smiles. That is exactly right. The reason for the posting was to find out more information, as it had just happened. I had done extensive web searches, but as of last night couldn't find anything. I find it quite rich that "Let Me Bore You" of all people would lecture others on disseminating information correctly. Christ, he spews forth more verbal diarrhea than anyone I've ever met.

Regardless, I apologize if I "jumped the gun," and I have modified my title and text in that string.

Fondly,
    Chris

Liked
    can we assume LMTU that you picked up your language skills, political astuteness and sense of style, wit and subtlety at the same skool as Niddy acquired his cooking skills?

bkkguy
    I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!

Liked: 1
    "A fire hit an entertainment complex in North Pattaya last night killing at least seven people and injuring at least 49 bar-goers. Police said most of the people killed and injured at Route 999 entertainment complex were Thai customers and staff who were caught off guard when the fire started about 8.15pm, shortly after the place opened for business.

The blaze apparently started from the DJ room inside a discotheque in the complex, police said, but they still could not tell what caused it. Police said many customers were already inside the complex and the staff were attending a routine briefing when the fire started. Bodies of the victims were sent to Bang Lamung hospital while the injured were sent to a few other hospitals by relief volunteers. Police said they believed more people could be trapped inside the disco but firemen have yet to enter the building for fear the structure might collapse.

Route 999 entertainment complex is on Pattaya 3 road in North Pattaya. The complex is made up of a pub, a disco and a go-go bar covering an area of about 1,000 square metres. "

Bangkok Post, 8th May 2006

This is a very bad tragedy with at least 7 deaths. Am I the only one who finds the inhouse bickering inappropriate?

Quote Originally Posted by TeePee

This is a very bad tragedy with at least 7 deaths. Am I the only one who finds the inhouse bickering inappropriate?______
    You are not alone.

But when you have posters like LMTU who in his first post gives sensationlised misinformation and then edits his original post after other have responded to make it appear that he had the true fact all along it is little wonder that bickering occurs.

The word' bomb' and a number in the region of 40 dead were in LMTU's original text yet he feels it appropriate to crticise others for what he consider inaccuracies.

Deft editing only indicates that he had little information of substance when he first posted.

Liked
    First, I am saddened by the needless loss of life and the suffering of the survivors. I think many of us can say, "There, but for 'chock dee', go I".

Second, it amazes me that these many years after the Jomtien hotel fire and the many complaints about places like central Big C and the movie theatres, that doors are locked and insufficient emergency exits provided. I have looked into several entertainment places located on the upper floors but left because of a fear of being trapped in an emergency. I hope this will result in regular uncorrupted safety inspections but I'm not holding my breath.

Third, I love the internet because of the immediacy and passion of the information. But I am fully aware the this is the internet and all information must be taken with a grain of salt - or maybe a box. Both LMTU and American Teacher related what they knew and heard and I appreciate both their efforts.

And finally, TeePee, I agree totally that the petty bickering, which the authors may see a humour, becomes annoying very quickly. Some topics are started with the primary aim of creating such battles of wits and slurs. All well and good and I can get a chuckle out of these. But this topic was not one of those. It does seem like every topic, regardless subject matter, quickly decends into tripe. Then again, this is the internet and TIT.

Liked: 1

Latest Press

Bangkok Post, Tuesday 9th May 2006
    Nightspot defied closure order - Illegally modified before fatal blaze
    JERDSAK SAENGTHONGCHAROEN

Pattaya _ The Route 999 entertainment complex destroyed by fire on Sunday night had been illegally modified and used in defiance of a ban, city officials said yesterday. Pattaya Mayor Niran Wattanasartsathorn said the city had banned use of the building, initially constructed as a restaurant, in December. Authorities had warned the complex's owner to obey the order, but nothing else had been done. The owner and manager has been identified as Wicha Baopimpa.

After the Sunday night blaze which killed eight people and injured 57 others, several seriously, the mayor promised strict structural and fire inspections of all entertainment venues and buildings. City Hall yesterday declared Route 999 off limits after an initial inspection determined the building was on the verge of collapse and was a danger to the public. Officials said the building structure's will again be inspected and a decision made whether to order demolition.

Police believe an electrician's carelessness was the cause of the fire which caused an estimated 70 million baht damage. Police said electrician Khanueng Phaolek, 29, had used welding equipment to repair air-conditioning units and sparks set a carpet on fire which quickly spread. Mr Khanueng's charred body was found at the scene amid the debris.

Meanwhile, Potjanee Thanavaranit, chief of the Insurance Department, said Route 999 was not insured under the fire insurance law that took effect on Feb 19. The law requires fire insurance of at least 100,000 baht on all public buildings. Ms Potjanee said the provincial insurance office told her Route 999's owner had contacted Viriya Insurance Co for fire coverage, but no contract had been yet signed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nation , Tuesday 9th May 2006
    Eight staff burn to death in pub blaze. Police are certain careless work by an air-conditioning mechanic caused a blaze at a popular pub in Pattaya which killed eight staff on Sunday.

Officers are inspecting whether the building was modified to meet safety standards and whether any fire exits were provided. Route 999, right in the heart of Pattaya, caught fire on Sunday night while more than 100 staff were having a meeting before opening for business.

The fire killed five dancers and three male staff including the air-conditioner mechanic, Kamnung Phaolek, and injured 57 others. Nutcharin Wongyam, 25, said 80 dancers called coyote girls who dressed in the style of dancers from a movie of the same name, were in the pub at the time. She said she was in the dressing room and heard the sound of an explosion in the ceiling. A fire broke out and spread rapidly. Many staff escaped through the front gate but some were trapped inside.

Some of them were helped out by rescuers who broke through a wall but others choked on the smoke and lost consciousness. Fire fighters took about an hour to control the fire.

Police officers led by Police Region 2 Commissioner Lt-General Jongrak Juthanon, yesterday inspected the scene with civic officials and continued to search for more bodies, but no more have been found. The police estimated the damage at about Bt20 million. Jong-rak said from initial investigation, the pub's mechanic, Kamnung, who was fixing air-conditioners, had accidentally fallen, causing a gas tank in the ceiling to ignite and explode. Route 999 is a 12-metre-high building on three rai of land. It was modified last December at a cost of about Bt50 million. The pub had become popular with both Thais and foreigners and received around 300-500 visitors a day.

Pattaya mayor Niran Wattanasartsathorn said the building was declared a hazard as it had been feared it might collapse. He said before the pub was opened, the building was found to have been illegally modified. Officials had ordered work on it to stop and revised plans submitted, but the pub owner ignored their orders. "We are checking to see whether the pub had provided standard emergency exits," Nirun said. Officials said most pubs in Pattaya only had an entrance and no fire escape.

In this case, most of the deaths involved new staff who were unfamiliar with the building so they failed to find the right escape routes. Officers will inspect the building and consider whether it needed to be demolished. Nirun said he would order an inspection of other entertainment spots to prevent further incidents and take legal action against any pub flouting the law.
    I hope that my posts will be of use.

The building was condemned back in December and ordered to close. Five months later many die and are injured in a fire. How much 'tea money' was being paid to allow it to stay open. How could a building illegally open and having 3 - 500 customers a day keep it quiet? How could the owners flout the law for so long and get away with it? I don't expect to see any censure taken against those whose job it was to enforce the closure.