Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laos Hotel rooms

Laos Hotel rooms

Gents,

Latest anybody on updates for accommodation in Vientiene, Laos.

I am interested in reasonable to good standard.

Re: Laos Hotel rooms

Kevin,
    I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene.
    Actually reminded me of Khao San RD,only very much cleaner and all/most streets with footpaths,all clean,they actually have traffic lights with pedestrian crossings and unobstructed clean footpaths,nothing like Cambodia or even Thailand.

There are upteen guesthouses from low cost to higher cost in Vientiane,mine was 700 baht,although I paid in kip.
    I took a taxi from the border,I was a little wary when he told us of this accomodation but when I checked it out it was very clean.
    I only saw 1 British pub,the Hound and Hare and I saw an American pub which was also full of customers,so there is business opportunity there by the dozen.

Mostly all I saw were umpteen cafes and coffee shops,they could well with more bars,probaly aimed towards the backpacker younger crowd, and it was cold when I went(March) so much that the Hound and Hare which looks like the pub in Coronation Street had their heater on.

They do have Swensons Ice cream and Pizza Hut but,couldn't find a KFC or McDonalds or even a 7/11.

The guesthouse/hotel I stayed in was opposite a Gay Bar/massage shop,ext door to an Italian restaurant,sorry I cannot remeber the name but nearest to the lovely waterfront which is also footpathed and has a nice park with statutues etc.
    pm me should you wish to know more,and apparently even a work visa there is easy to obtain.
    I loved Vientiane.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfromkent64
    I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene. Actually reminded me of Khao San RD.
    You mean it's full of unwashed backpackers?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    You mean it's full of unwashed backpackers?
    Bwaaaaahhh!!!!!!!! WHY WHY always that parrotting prejudice. Have you ever been to Khao sarn in fact since 1995 (of course you say yes as not to loose your credence)-these apparently meant as being oh so jolly jokes makes me think Thaivisa is beter fit as a forum.
    Naming that: VTE rooms get taken up early in the day becasue so many of Thai-visarunners visit the Thai embassy there for their new permit to stay.
    BTW: would I now need to write down my prejudice on Thonglor (golden wheels) hi-so wannabees? For those golden BMWs (washed/unwashed?) without any regard for a pedestrian?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kquill
    Gents,
    Latest anybody on updates for accommodation in Vientiene, Laos.
    I am interested in reasonable to good standard.
    There are a lot of good guesthouses along the river. I rented a bike and stayed at the Novatel and had no trouble bringing a boy in. The best place used to be the Don Chan Palace with its disco frequented by many gays. I think this is the best site for up-to-date information. Do take pictures.

http://www.stickyrice.ws/?view=director ... &place=vte

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfromkent64
    Kevin,
    I have just come back after spending a week in Vientiene.
    Actually reminded me of Khao San RD,only very much cleaner and all/most streets with footpaths,all clean,they actually have traffic lights with pedestrian crossings and unobstructed clean footpaths,nothing like Cambodia or even Thailand.

There are upteen guesthouses from low cost to higher cost in Vientiane,mine was 700 baht,although I paid in kip.
    I took a taxi from the border,I was a little wary when he told us of this accomodation but when I checked it out it was very clean.
    I only saw 1 British pub,the Hound and Hare and I saw an American pub which was also full of customers,so there is business opportunity there by the dozen.

Mostly all I saw were umpteen cafes and coffee shops,they could well with more bars,probaly aimed towards the backpacker younger crowd, and it was cold when I went(March) so much that the Hound and Hare which looks like the pub in Coronation Street had their heater on.

They do have Swensons Ice cream and Pizza Hut but,couldn't find a KFC or McDonalds or even a 7/11.

The guesthouse/hotel I stayed in was opposite a Gay Bar/massage shop,ext door to an Italian restaurant,sorry I cannot remeber the name but nearest to the lovely waterfront which is also footpathed and has a nice park with statutues etc.
    pm me should you wish to know more,and apparently even a work visa there is easy to obtain.
    I loved Vientiane.
    tonyfromkent64 and Khor tose,

Thanks a lot for the information I am looking forward to getting there and to Cambodia!

Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.

Liked

tonyfromkent64 and Khor tose,
    Thanks a lot for the information I am looking forward to getting there and to Cambodia!
    Any info or tips on VTE you think is any good please tell me. I will be OK with language anyways.
    General information only: They drive on the correct side of the road (wrong to you), and so be careful when crossing the streets.
    It is a very French city, nicely laid out with traffic rules that are obeyed. They have a Victory monument and a Champ Elysees type road worth seeing. Almost all buildings, including new ones, are French Provincial style. If you are not tired of temples and wats they do have several. Most notably the Pha That Luang Temple that is the heart of Lao Buddhism. The riverfront at night is a party place. There are new gay bars, but I do not know them. When I went the main action was Discos and not bars. Oh, I was told the bowling alley was a cruising place, but I never checked it out. One of the best Chinese restaurants in Asia is just down the street from the Novotel at the ??Mekong Hotel?? This is a very upscale hotel serving Rich Chinese. Incredible good food, and do not be turned off by the fact that the detached restaurant and its signs are large neon types. Inside it is first class all the way.

Errrr, I cannot find the hotel listed under this name. If you leave the Novotel heading to town the road spits into a vee about 50m from the hotel. One road is one way towards you and the other called Laung Pubang Road is one way to town. The hotel and seperate restaurant are on your right about 60 yards from the vee split. If anyone knows what the name of this place is now, I would appreciate you posting it.

Liked

Prepared to be bored shitless - it's far, far worse than Khon Kaen.

Quote Originally Posted by thonglor55
    Prepared to be bored shitless - it's far, far worse than Khon Kaen.

Thonglor55,

OMG God, I feared that. However, I hope the novelty after being away frm Asia quite a while should carry me through for about five days or so as I ain't been in before.

I have been very near and had converstations with the Laos guys when they used to cross over for the day and buy goods on the Thai side of the river plus then I am off down to Cambodia and over to Vietnam followed by Bali.

They say Luang Prubang s great too or at least scenic? I am taking a camera this time anyways, something else I have never bothered with for years!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Khor tose

Errrr, I cannot find the hotel listed under this name. If you leave the Novotel heading to town the road spits into a vee about 50m from the hotel. One road is one way towards you and the other called Laung Pubang Road is one way to town. The hotel and seperate restaurant are on your right about 60 yards from the vee split. If anyone knows what the name of this place is now, I would appreciate you posting it.
    As far as I'm aware you have the correct name, Mekong Hotel. I've walked past it many times, on my way to Wat Xieng Ve, but never been inside.

Over the last two or three years I've read in the UK press that Luang Prabang is the 'place to go'. Always a bad sign! It is very touristy and likely to become more so but, in spite of that, the beauty of the place is remarkable and it's very photogenic. I would suggest staying in the old temple district between the Mekong and the Nam Khan. Vientiane is laid back but Louang Prabang even more so.