Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Sport ideas in Pattaya, anyone?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sport ideas in Pattaya, anyone?

Friends of mine will be visiting Pattaya for the first time in a few months and are looking to do the type of active sporting activities I spend most of my vacation time avoiding: jet skiing, para sailing, scuba diving - that sort of thing.

Does anyone here have any suggestions of specific vendors and/or businesses they've found to be trustworthy and safe? I've read the posts about the jet ski horror stories and since I won't be participating or going along with them I'd like to steer them to reliable sources. "Gay friendly" is usually a plus, but it's really not all that important in this case.

If you want to share one via PM to avoid an on-forum debate you're more than welcome to do so. Thanks! :cheers:

Liked

Re: Sport ideas in Pattaya, anyone?

ATV rental right at the overpass on the way to Jomtien.
    You can go by yourself, or you can have an employ show you where to go to.
    Local or all the way to Satahip.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm bumping this topic today since the weekend sometimes brings more members onto the forum and I'm still hoping to receive other suggestions.

Parasailing, jet skiing, diving on wrecks (offshore wrecks, not older farang in outdoor bars), hiking opportunities, that sort of thing - my friends are active, early middle-age gay farang, non-drinkers, and not looking for Asian guys for offing. They both love sailing, so perhaps renting a boat for a nearby island would be a good suggestion, but I'm also feeling a little responsible for the "newbies" so I'm hoping for safe, dependable suggestions.

If anyone remembers names of businesses they've had good luck with, or locations of sport-type rentals or activities - it would be appreciated.

Thanks! :cheers:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

If they are new to Thailand I would've brought them to somewhere more picturesque like Phuket. It's both tourist friendly... and has the beautiful, serene, tropical beach setting and lots of island day trips for kayaking, snorkeling and diving etc. that people picture when they think of Thailand.

Heh... if they are gay, they will surely check out the gay bars at some stage huh?

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    Parasailing, jet skiing, diving on wrecks (offshore wrecks, not older farang in outdoor bars), hiking opportunities, that sort of thing They both love sailing, so perhaps renting a boat for a nearby island would be a good suggestion
    I doubt if there is any need to mention insurance again (!), but I doubt if even the most ardent "its all safers" here would advise parasailing or jet-skiing! Diving is a different story, and there are a lot of reputable dive shops here, so if your friends are qualified I can PM you the name and phone number of a very experienced Dive Master I know here (although I have never dived with him, and have only dived here a couple of times).

Sailing is generally expensive, and it all depends on whether they want to be passengers or crew. Hiking is easy available in any of the national parks, depending on when they are coming as there are restrictions in some areas - it all depends on whether they are interested in day trips, camping with a guide, if they will be driving or need transport, etc; they could visit Khao Khitchakut near Chanthaburi anytime around March and April and hike up to the temple, for example, or visit some waterfalls, but that depends very much on when they are coming.

It also depends what experience/training / qualifications they have: there is kiteboarding at Na Jomtien, for example, para-gliding and paramotors at Rayong, and microlights at the Pattaya Flying Club, horse riding and hacking North and South of Pattaya, polo, the list goes on, but "active" and "sports" are pretty broad terms!

The ATVs are a good idea, and there are a number available, but they will need to ensure they do not just end up doing a "road trip" around the back roads of Huay Yai and 331.