it's a great country for sure. Hopefully it lives on for a long time. Winnie the Pooh seems to be really spoiling for a fight though.

There is a lot of natural beauty and as you say the transportation system is amazing. I was there for Pride 2019 (after spending 10 days or so in S Korea) and spent several days in Taipei and then took the train down to Kaohsiung for several days. Sadly I caught a cold while I was in Taipei which really slowed me down. My first couple of visits to Taiwan I arranged trips with an expat American guy who is a freelance photographer since photography was my main interest. The first trip was a drive down the east coast from Keelung to Taroko/Hualien. The second time we did more central places like Sun Moon Lake and some earthquake stuff and then some time in Lukang which was quite interesting - hand-stretched noodle makers, interesting temples.

I took the HSR down to Tainan on one trip for a 2 day, 1 night trip that was also quite interesting.

I've never had much luck with the apps, but I'm not the most attractive guy in the world. The massage places in Taipei worked well for me though.