FAQ & Help

Thread: 1 GBP gets 29 Baht

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: 1 GBP gets 29 Baht

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktouch View Post
    All exchange places at Airports give very bad rates. If you have to change money, just change very little to get you to your hotel etc, the exchange the rest once in your area of holiday.
    Whilst I generally would have held the same view ( certainly re here in the UK) I believe that several members have reported that some of the booths in Swampy are actually giving at least just a good as rate ( if not better) than some of the booths in silom etc !?

Personally I've found a small back of shop type chinese exchange booth place up one of the streets beside in Patpong market who seem to give exceptional rates and so I intend to keep using them. To be honest I actually wondered ( feared) exactly HOW they were managing to give the rates they did that was worried about counterfeit money etc being used perhaps, but so far so good and no one has refused any notes they've given me to date and on talking to a few locals about it they simply said he was playing the long game and going for study business rather than the quick kill of some of the main street booths, who can be an absolute rip off if you're not on your toes.

So, as you say I now change enough for the first day or two to tide me over and then pop along to them when needed and so far so good.

* Oh I should add if ever in Bali NEVER do that and ONLY use the formal exchange places and not the local shops as those fuckers will skim and scam you every single time ( I know from sore experience and having to have some serious words with said shop keeper to get him to return my scammed money!!!)

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (July 15th, 2018), poshglasgow (July 11th, 2018)