Just back from another wonderful holiday in Bali. No wonder so many expats live on this incredible island. The Balinese must be one of the gentlest and fun-loving races in the world. I know that it is 3rd World and they accept a simple village life as the norm, but even with little or no money they always seem to be happy.

I usually avoid the general tourist coast, full of Indonesian imports from other islands, pushy and money-hungry. Whilst Ubud is my base [and now beginning to develop local friends] a week in Amed is what I look forward to most. Not much more than a fishing village, the hotels are mostly small [6-10 rooms] and run by couples [foreign-local as a rule] with many different nationalities. The local cafes [warungs] sell simple food [mostly Indonesian Chinese in style] using really fresh fish, usually caught only hours before, and local chicken. Cafe Indah [on the beach at Lipah], Warung Brith and Wayan's Warung are all excellent. You can feed a table of 8, as I often do, for Rp. 200,000 [$US 20 approx.].

The boys are straight, but very willing, otherwise just like teenagers everywhere...very horny!