See catawampuscat "The shit hits the fan" on this board and similar from Gaythailand

"GaySacGuy
I just received a phone call advising me that all the Farang in Wild, Wild West without a passport in their possession were detained/arrested/taken to jail??? Not sure which, but definitely not good. It is 10:30 p.m. in Pattaya, apparently this just happen this evening. Also rumor of two or three bars being closed, but no confirmantion. Can anyone either confirm or deny this information?? I sure hope it is some kind of mistake, but the way things go, you never know!

painai
Yes, I was there, thank goodness I carry a laminated copy of my passport (which includes the first page and copy of my visa), only 2 of the customers, myself and a Japanese tourist who had his passport, were not taken away in a pick up by the (I assume) Bangkok police. The police came in only questioning the customers, and those without id were rounded up, searched, questioned and taken away. About ten or twelve all together were taken away. It really looked sad to see the elderly farangs who had trouble walking trying to get in the pickup. Moral of the story, carry your id!"

catawampuscat - my apologies for having spelt your name incorrecly - now I cut and paste to get it right.