This topic has, I am sure , been covered over the years and I know enough just to be dangerous and am looking for guidance on Thai law in that regards. I believe foreigners cannot own land outright, but can do so through establishing a Thai corporation or some such entity which owns the land and then a foreigner can own 49% of the corporation and Thais the remaining 51%. Is that correct?
Can my bf buy land and then can I (we) lease the land from him and we build with each owning 50% of the house? Can we buy an existing house with the same arrangement; he would buy the land or lot the house sits on and then we would buy the house jointly? My goal is for him to own the property after my demise (there is a considerable age difference) but for me to have some protection if things don't work out as well as we hope they will during my remaining years. The money I would put on the table is money I would not like to lose during my lifetime, but it is also money that will not change my financial picture if all is lost.
Have those of you who have used the Thai legal system and Thai lawyers found it to be reliable and unbiased towards foreigners? Unfortunately, I have an untested view of it similar to my to my jaundiced view the American legal community-user beware!