Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: DJ Station and G.O.D. - What to Expect

DJ Station and G.O.D. - What to Expect

I am planning a visit to Bangkok again soon. I have not visited either DJ Station and G.O.D before but have noticed a lot of good looking guys headed that way.

I am interested in meeting some Thai guys, but prefer not to go to the go-go bars. I will be travelling alone. I am not much of a dancer, more of a looker or watcher. I can speak some Thai.

What can I expect if I visit one of these places alone? Are they mostly Thai? Will they try to talk to me? I am interested in having a decent conversation with a Thai or Lao guy with a good body. If we decide to have some activities afterward, that is fine.
    Will the moneyboys seek me out? Is it 20% moneyboys or more?

Can someone give me an idea of what to expect if I am goodlooking guy in my late 40's.

Should I go some place else instead?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: DJ Station and G.O.D. - What to Expect

(What I have to say is my own impression and there will be readers here to read my reply to you and make corrections with from their view point and experiences.) If you don't mind the "commercial boys", then they will be on the second floor of DJ's, the more you are in good shape and good looking, then the quicker and faster the supply is to come near you and initiate a conversation. Being 40 is NOT a problem as long as you're in good shape and have some style. You certainly don't have to dance at these clubs, just park yourself somewhere and enjoy the eye candy around you. It is possible to run into "regular Thai gays" (not money boys) at DJ's- mostly on the main floor. Personally, I feel the majority of the guys upstairs have $$$ signs in their minds when they see a farang...but with your own kind of "filtering" system and going there on a regular basis, you get to know whose friendship is authentic or not. :scratch: G.O.D is my favorite place but it doesn't get going until after 3am. It is a different crew (the regular "commercial boys" seem to NOT go to G.O.D) so the club seems to be full of new faces; unlike the second floor of DJ's. Most of the Thai guys I have met at G.O.D. are with their buddies, having a good time--not out to mooch off the farang. (I like G.O.D. because by 4am we have all taken off our shirts, dancing to the great tunes of the DJ. Reminds me a bit like the clubs in CA.- buffed dancing meat) If you are looking for someone to meet at G.O.D, hang in the back around the bar area or go upstairs and hangout near the "pathway" to the WC. The "hyeenas" start getting restless after 4:40am. When I have met a nice Thai fellow at a club and I want to get to know him more, I just ask if he wants to join me for a coffee down the soi.... then after that if it is time to "shag up" --I'll tell him I am not into paying for sex and see what his response is... (NOTE: Some Thai guys have been spoiled thinking that they should get paid everytime they go with a farang to have some "play time" together. This is due to older farangs always throwing their baht at them as soon as the guy blinks his eyes at him. OPINION) Don't get me wrong, I do run into good looking Thais that are NOT commercial. (If I go the "commercial" route, I'll go to a massage parlor and get a massage along with other benefits.)
    If you want to meet some Thai fellow that speaks some English, maybe try a gay Thai websight and then make an engagement to meet him on soi 4 for a drink.

Liked

Thrillbill has given very good advice about DJs and God, but may since you do not dance why not go to Silom soi 4 and try Telephone or Balcony. Great place to look, not go-go bars, okay food, and the occasional show. On the same street they have the Spinx which used to have good to very good food. If that is not quite wild enough may I suggest Dicks in soi twilight, where you can sit and eat and watch hundreds of boys go by. Good luck, whatever you chose to do. At 40 you will have all kinds of offers and I hope you have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by New2009
    .... I am interested in having a decent conversation with a Thai or Lao guy with a good body. If we decide to have some activities afterward, that is fine....
    I have found that it is almost impossible to have a 'decent conversation' in either DJ or GoD because of the music volume. It is necessary to go to one of the smoking rooms in DJ to be able to hear what is being said to you ... GoD has no smoking rooms since those who want to smoke can do it anywhere inside and 'F*** You' if you don't like it.

As for thrillbill's comments I agree except for his views on the moneyboys - If they havn't scored at DJ then (if they can afford the 280 Baht entrance) they then go to GoD and try their luck. There are lots of commercial boys in GoD and most are available for the usual 'Smile, Drink and Offer'.

Slightly off topic but: A lot was written here earlier in the month about Fire Safety. I have visited both discos this month and think that , whilst far from perfect, DJ is much more fire conscious and safer than GoD.

DJ has several brightly illuminated Fire Exit signs and Emergency lighting on all floors; Exit maps and Fire exits leading to those ladders at the back of the building and I have even seen a couple of fire extinguishers. There are 3 separate 'single' Ground Floor Exit Doors

GoD has one dim Exit sign inside on the ground floor. This is above the heavy sound-proof 'double' doors that lead to another set of heavy double doors and then to a final set of heavy doors before you are in the open. On the 3rd floor there is an emergency exit in the toilet that leads to where? When I went there the door was difficult to find, locked and blocked with mops, buckets and other cleaning stuff.

I suggest that you do what most others do: Go to DJ and when it closes at 3am then wander down Silom to GoD and give that a try.

Well the next thing walking over to G.O.D. since DJ just doubled its weeknight cover are MY FEET are walking over to G.O.D. now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TravelerGymBkk
    Well the next thing walking over to G.O.D. since DJ just doubled its weeknight cover are MY FEET are walking over to G.O.D. now!!!
    I can't comment for weeknights but I was there tonight and the entrance fee to DJ Station is the same as it has been for the last several years:
    Weekends: 200 Baht and includes 2 drinks

The entrance fee to GoD is also unchanged for every night of the week and is 40% higher than DJ - 280 Baht and incudes 2 drinks. Maybe they could use the extra money on some fire safety equipment?

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Personally my idea of hell is sitting at Balcony or Telephone Bar. Uncomfortable chairs, inadequate personal space, tiny tables if you want to eat, condescending waiters, and worst of all conflicting sound systems with the competition opposite.

If you want to be in Soi 4 for people watching, recommend Tapas, nearer the mouth of the soi, with comfortable wicker chairs good music and service. If you wat to eat, Sphinx would be the preferred choice in the soi, although you do have to walk past the Balcony/Telephone touts.

Recommend a visit to Club Nine in this Soi, which was originally Rome. The show is at 0010 and employs many of the performers from the old Freemans/God. On the two nights that I was there they had 100 to 150 customers for the show, all of whom could find somewhere to sit with good sightlines. Show was entertaining, Drag/Dancing Boys etc.

DJs has moved their show earlier than the previous midnight timing, but it doesn't seem to pull the punters in much earlier with the show starting while the place is still mostly empty.

GOD as previously mentioned gets going latest of all these clubs, from about 0100, and still filling up at 0230, has no shows and the best music of the three clubs.

Seriously? You're not much of a dancer but you want to spend part of your vacation in a dance club? I can't imagine that is going to make you happy. But if you are dead set on going, there are definitely some things you need to understand.

First, do not treat these two clubs as go-go bars. There are some young Thai men in DJ Station who either supplement their income by meeting foreigners in DJ Station at night and asking for a tip the next morning or who are looking for a sugar daddy. If you are fine with any relationship that develops out of either of these dynamics, I'm sure you'll have fun in DJ Station. And, of course, these two clubs are filled with gay men, so there is always the chance of legitimately hitting it off with someone. But if you're in your late 40s and, like a lot of foreigners travelling to Thailand, are into younger partners, then your odds of finding Mr. Right are very long indeed.

Second, you can improve those odds. You mentioned you're not much of a dancer, so I assume you don't go to dance clubs in whatever city you live in. This should tell you that maybe a dance club in the city you're going to vacation in might not be right for you. But what the hell, you're on vacation, so give it a try. But before you go, get yourself some designer jeans, shoes, belts, shirts, etc. Also, it wouldn't hurt to go to Cutey & Beauty beforehand and tell a stylist there that you want to go to DJ Station and to give you a proper haircut. Don't do this to be vain or to try to look 20 years younger. Do this to fit in. Asian men, especially young, gay Asian men, take great pride in their personal appearance and would never dream of going out without looking as good as can be. And they look down on men who go out looking like slobs. One more point here, there are a lot of ugly old farang in DJ Station who obviously don't care how bad they look. Believe me, you don't want to look like one of them. Use the old rule of thumb; when in Thailand, do as the Thais do.

Three, don't go to DJ Station because you want to meet a Thai man and have a decent conversation. Go because you want to have fun, you want to lose yourself in the alcohol, you want to feel the music and you want to let it move you. This is what nightclubs are for. And if, along the way, you do meet someone -- and it's much easier to meet someone if you're wearing a big ol' smile -- then your night just might be a great one. If you don't meet anybody, well, you still had fun.

Also, if you're not much of a dancer, don't even bother with G.O.D. It's a real night club. A proper night club. It's for people who are serious about their music and can really move to it.

And please let us know how things worked out for you.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What Motel69 says is so true...Don't go to DJ's or G.O.D. unless you enjoy loud music and want to have fun...and NOT to walk in there dressed as if you came from some village. Many farangs will complain about the clubs --well, don't go then if you don't like loud dance music. Soi 4 can also be a place to meet local Thais but it is a "hit and miss". Sitting inside at the Telephone Bar or Balcony Bar will most likely give you more of an opportunity to meet a local... Some are commercial, some are "regular" working gays (Sat. or Fri. nite) that like potatoes instead of rice. Also if you meet a cute waiter or bar tender, they may be willing to go out later for a drink--and they ususally speak good English.

Yes DJ has increased its cover price to 200 baht (2 drinks now) on week-nights Sundays through Thursdays which discourages myself as I often don't like to commit to so much drinking, especially after a couple already on Soi 4.