Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crooks and Liars: Farang Conmen in Paradise

Forum's veteran
    Liked

One...

One of my favorites topics Rainwalker.

The fleeced are usually embarrassed by their foolish trusting of the conman and prefer often to forget about
    it and move on. The conman counts on this reaction and also that the foreigner will not go to the police or
    the con-man's embassy to report the crime..

It is a painful memory and one that the fleeced push out of their minds if possible. I am doing a bit of assuming
    and guessing here but I think it is probably true for most of us..

I was once offered a chance to get into a start up Internet website and was given 24 hours to make up mind and have
    the money ready for the farang. This was a couple of years ago and I wisely turned down the offer, as there was no
    contract, no lawyers, no written agreements, no paperwork whatsoever and it would based be on a handshake and trust.
    Well, I would have been out more than 20 grand US ($20,000.) and in bed with a backstabbing rat,
    who turned on me after I declined his very generous offer to get in on the first floor of this money pit. Not getting in bed with him
    was my wisest decision since living in Thailand..
    Be very aware when your farang friend wants your money..very aware !! :cat:

Unbelievable

Dear Cat,

You mean people like this really exist?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

yes-you are advised not to give names

..or I would be forced to divulge the name of 2 airlines and a major hotel chain servicing Thailand which have repeatedly broken their promises of what was offered- after I had paid up-front.

Of course in those cases it's just a "terrible computer error" or some similar excuse. I regard it as being bilked. Sadly, they fail to realize they have a relentless and unforgiving moaner on their hands who never gives an inch until an upgrade is usually given to get this tiresome beast out of a manager's office.

As for petty "con" jobs-they are too numerous to record-1000 or 5000 baht here and there. And many times I know it's happening but think if they need to go to those lengths-they really must need the dough.

It's the well thought out continuing scams that do need exposing..one being the "under-age" scam that has snared 2 of my acquaintances in the Sunnee Plaza area. The lad who appears to be over 18 and offers a treat-and then a "policeman" ( who could even be real) comes to the door and the lad is revealed to be 17 and 4 months etc. The going rate is 200,000 baht for all this mess to go away. And it's quite common if gossip is to be believed.
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.

Deleted

Sorry didn't read the question properly.

Liked
    Rainwalker99's original post asked for stories about FARANG con-men, not Thais.

We are all (though mainly in theory, I hope) familiar with the latter. But it would be even more fascinating to hear stories of the former - to provide confirmation of, or to disprove, the frequently-expressed view that Thailand is a popular haven for the inadequate/detritus/maladjusted of the rest of the world...
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked
    I'm sure it's the rare man who has not been cheated or made errors of trust. What is more shocking to me is the changing value system. Beck in the dark ages when I was an educator I rarely had occasion to deal with cheaters (yeah, i know, sutdents cheated - but not all that many). Students who cheated were held in disregard and usually angered their fellow students.

I recently saw a poll on one of the news channels that reported on current reactions to cheating. Almost universally students who participated in the study reported that they thought it was stupid not to cheat if there was an opportunity to do so. "Getting away with it" was a badge of honor!! It seems values on honesty have shifted.

Given that, I assume we will all encounter more and more acts of dishonesty. It seems there's a large segment of the population who thnks doing so is the right thing to do.

Liked
    I recently met a farang who initially aroused my suspicion when he introduced himself as 'Edith'. He was such a plump, personable chap, in every way normal but for the red wig, floral frock and knee-high leather boots, that I soon felt reassured and purchased from him, at some expense, a large tub of ointment which he promised me would both restore hair loss and increase the size of my member. How could I resist? Having followed his instructions most diligently for a month, I have witnessed dramatic results. I now have a fur-lined knob and strangely elongated head. I am not best pleased. Does this qualify as a con, or some lesser form of misdirection?
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Forum's veteran
    Liked

sorry..just getting in before Homintern does..but

"Beck in the dark ages when I was an educator I rarely had occasion to deal with cheaters (yeah, i know, sutdents cheated - but not all that many"...ehhh?

Re: yes-you are advised not to give names

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchtime O'Booze
    Of course in those cases it's just a "terrible computer error" or some similar excuse.
    When that excuse is trotted out I usually point out that computers don't, for the most part, make errors - it is the incompetant fools (in their organisation) who have input incorrect information who are to blame.

That usually sets them back on their heels and the deathly silence (and embarrassed look, if confronting them face to face) whilst they try to think up some alternate excuse is a pleasure to behold. :happy11:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

oh so it's

farang conmen !!

well no doubt the place is teeming with them but I've only met a number of dubious characters (farang) who seem to be reluctant to return to their homelands. None has really tried to con me in the real sense. But we do read in almost every edition of those Fleet Street style tabloids now available in Pattaya of all manner of petty crime committed by farangs.

(PeterUk-that couldn't be our Edith-she's certainly plump, has hennaed hair , wears hideous frocks and would have the gall to outfit herself in knee high boots..but personable ?..no way.)