Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Farang-Thai vs. Farang-Farang relationships

Liked

Farang-Thai vs. Farang-Farang relationships

This one has been bugging me a bit lately, mainly because of how so many people seem to view it. You know, when a farang sees a Thai-Farang couple, the perception many people have is, "oh, so there's the gold digger, and there's the loser who couldn't make it in his home country". You have to admit, that's the first thought that crosses many people's minds. Does anyone else find that frustrating?

I don't know, I guess it's becoming common knowledge throughout my family now that I'm in a serious relationship with a poverty born Thai from Issan, so the rumors are floating, and it's starting to aggravate me. For example, how is this any different than the 99.5% of Western women who search out a good man, who has a good career, and is making good money? Personally, I can't see much of a difference myself, except that the women are far more devious and two-faced in their endeavors.

I'm sorry, and maybe I'm delusional, but it's simply impossible for me to view Kim as a gold digger. Yes, he wants to be taken care of, yes I'm financially responsible, and yes I'm expected to help the family sometimes. I knew that going in, and I'm fine with that. But the same goes for millions of husbands out there, who know by going into a marriage, means they're now financially responsible for everything. How is this any different? You know, if Kim works 60 hours a week at a Thai BBQ restaurant, his monthly wage will be my hourly rate, so obviously I don't expect him to contribute financially. He's only going to work because he's bored, which I think is great. Personally, I would prefer he volunteered to help people, but whatever, his choice.

And the thing is, Kim is has a great heart, excellent morals, and is very upfront and honest (for the most part) about everything. He's the furthest thing from being devious and dishonest, and being someone just trying to extract money from me. I can honestly say with very little doubt that if he was a Thai-Canadian, living in Canada, with a good education, and all the opportunity that we take for granted, we'd still be together. He's basically just some guy who's saying, "well, here I am, here's the hand of cards I was dealt in life, and I'm doing what I can to provide a good life for myself and my family". I'm sorry, but I can think of MANY better examples of a gold digger and manipulator than that.

Another thing that gets me is how some people will naturally look down on Kim, just because he ended up being born a poverty stricken guy in Issan, as if it's his fault or choice, or something. Especially considering two little sperms could have completely reversed the tables on that little situation. And honestly, if people are going to judge that quickly, I'd almost say it says more about them, than it does about us. Not to mention, who are any of these people to pass judgment on us, or anyone else? It's not like they have the path to nirvana all figured out, or anything.

Anyway, does anyone else ever feel the same with their Thai BFs? Or is it just me being bitchy, because I'm sick? :P

Liked

Re: Farang-Thai vs. Farang-Farang relationships

If some seem to be judgemental about your relatonship, so be it. Why would that bother you? If you are OK with the way things are going with Kim. Celebrate it. Family can be a blessing or a curse depending on their perspective. As for members of this forum, I hope you realize there is nothing you could ever do to keep everyone happy. So the answer is easy, "Do what makes you and Kim happy."

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bing
    Why would that bother you?
    Because they're my family and close friends.

Life is far too short to worry about what others think about your relationship. Let's face it, not too many years ago they would have been judgemental about you for just being gay as well. Enjoy his youth and the relationship, it's your life.

Liked

I don't know, I guess it's becoming common knowledge throughout my family now that I'm in a serious relationship with a poverty born Thai from Issan, so the rumors are floating, and it's starting to aggravate me.
    Perhaps that's where the problem (if there is a problem) lies. If the knowledge of your relationship with Kim is being passed by word of mouth amongst your friends and family, rather than coming from you, then the information is incomplete and likely to be infected by rumour and, in short, to become gossip. People tend to fill in the gaps for themselves, and they tend to imagine the worse.
    Why don't you tell it the way it is? I'm not normally a fan of family newsletters, but why not put one together telling them you are in a stable relationship with Kim, and telling them how happy you are with that? Real friends will be happy for you if you are happy in yourself.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

As I am English I was brought up to be especially concerned about appearances and "what people think". However it is my boyfriend who has taught me that what people think is their problem, not ours.

I know that our age difference is much greater than yours and undoubtedly casual observers often think, what is that cute young guy doing with that fat old fart, he must be loaded! Well I am not. When we have been together in public sometimes, young guys have tried to pick him up, when I was temporarily away from a table or had gone to the toilet. Their assumption must be that he would be an easy pick up if he is with me, and must be sexually unsatisfied!

In an airport lounge in East Europe he got slipped a note that said "C U in toilet in five minutes"! He sensibly didn't show me the note until we were a long way away! How do we deal with this attitude? We just laugh at it and about it. It's pretty much all you can do. Make it a shared experience, and shared amusement, and it will bring you even closer together.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The "looking down" thing is pretty engrained in Asian culture. Wealthy villagers look down on the poorer villages. And the Chinese just look down on everyone else.

The rest of the world seems to look down on Asia. This kind of bugs me but I understand why this is the case. It will change pretty quickly in the coming decades. You look at how hard working and dedicated most of Asia is... and compare it to beer factory workers in Belgium who run riot with little justification and demand to have their comfortable lifelong 9-5 jobs back when let go for commercial reasons... and you get the feeling Asia will leap ahead.

My Thai BF here was an Isaan boy and always seemed to expect me to "look down" on him when I didn't at all. I couldn't win. If I offered to pay for something he would go... "ooooh... you look down on me"... lol.

In reality he's probably achieved more than I have relative to his buddies. He finished uni... started his own business... gave it to his family to manage... worked in a job that took him all over Thailand... then jumped ship to Australia to study/start a new career. All this before the age of 22.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I can think of few things worse than for Kim to just work because he's bored. It's great that you'll take care of him... but as a young guy who is still developing... he needs something to work hard for. Whether it's study or a new career.

I really think he needs something he will pursue with the kind of vigour a man who's livelihood is on the line would pursue it with. Not a hobby or something to pass the time. He needs to develop this drive we all develop when our arse is on the line. The kind of energy you might have put into your own career/business earlier on for example.

Otherwise... it's like giving the boy food without teaching him how to fish. He might never have the self satisfaction and assurance you have gained from making your own way. And what happens if you're not there for him?

Most Western guys that I see in long term relationships with younger Thai boys appear to have got themselves stuck with someone who is no longer attractive and let themselves gone to seed.

:idea: The farang is now paying the bills so I can relax and not go to the gym; I can eat & drink whatever I want and whenever I want. :idea:

Maybe the two of them are in what they call 'an open relationship' ... just an excuse for screwing around with someone other than the unattractive guy they've got themselves lumbered with.

Patrick and BL are right.

There's NO DIFFERENCE in your relationship than the normal hetero one. Kim could be tossed out any time, more easily than some Western woman leeches. You surely didn't come here to wonder what the answer to this 'problem' is. This statement alone tells me that you know your choice is right:

And the thing is, Kim is has a great heart, excellent morals, and is very upfront and honest (for the most part) about everything. He's the furthest thing from being devious and dishonest, and being someone just trying to extract money from me. I can honestly say with very little doubt that if he was a Thai-Canadian, living in Canada, with a good education, and all the opportunity that we take for granted, we'd still be together.
    Why are you even bother to wonder? You're light years ahead of many of us. Just don't cock it up.