Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Covid Insurance

Here we go again...another half-baked proposal getting slung out there to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

First, there was the Elite Visa Scheme, where foreigners were (and still are) being lured into buying these visa's ranging from 500,000 - 2,000,000 THB giving the impression that those who hold this visa would be allowed to enter Thailand, and be given preferential treatment upon arrival as well. When, in fact, the government (CCSA) has not acknowledged or approved this privilege, and the foreign embassies to date show this Elite privilege as being suspended. Ironically, this Elite Micky Mouse Club (administered by Immigration) are still trying to get people to buy this.

Then, there's this wonderful Phuket Holiday Scheme, which is currently being promoted globally before the government (CCSA) has even approved it. TAT, in their flurry of desperation, are already having travel agencies, and individual travelers, making travel plans based on the proposal outline shown in the news media, when, at the same time, articles in The Nation and Bangkok Post have clearly stated that the government (CCSA) has not approved this proposal launched by TAT to date. Talk about not being on the same page.

Now, here we go again with another Thai Insurance Scheme, where foreigners are being provided instructions for purchasing Covid-19 policies - before foreigners are even being allowed to enter Thailand, which contradicts earlier policy communications which stated that tourists, when they are permitted to enter Thailand, would be required to have insurance policies form their home countries providing a minimum of $100,000 worth of coverage. The intent of this was to make sure that tourists would be covered for Covid-19 while in-country which makes sense. But here we go (again) with a consortium of Thai-owned insurance companies, who, coincidentally, are owned by some of the wealthiest and most influential families in Thailand, waiting at the gates to sell you their polices. The only problem is, the gates will be empty.

Too many half-baked money-making schemes - too soon. (Ready - Fire - Aim)

In my opinion, a foreigner who wants to enter Thailand in the future needs to be concerned (and focused) on one thing, and one thing only, and that's the information provided to them by the Thai embassy in their home country. If it were me, and I'm glad as fucking hell it's not, I wouldn't be buying any special visa (Elite, or otherwise), searching for any charter flights to Phuket, or anywhere else in the Kingdom for that fact, and I sure as hell wouldn't be suckered into buying a Covid-19 health insurance policy from one of these so-called "Approved" Thai companies if I already had health insurance coverage in my own country.

Thailand is trying to position itself to make money on foreign tourists any way it can to offset the massive losses this year which is understandable. You can't blame them for that. But, you also can't blame foreigners for taking whatever precautions they need to take to protect themselves from being manipulated financially by these types of half-baked schemes, which, frankly, all appear to be totally one-sided, where Thailand's tourist industry benefits financially - and the tourists end up paying up-the-ass for a few weeks in a dungeon. What;s wrong with this picture?

The bottom line, the way I see it, is that foreigners should be focused on the fact that the CCSA, which is in full control of the decisions regarding tourist arrivals in Thailand, has not endorsed any of the "Schemes" listed above, although they have stated in numerous publications, that if and when tourists are permitted to enter Thailand, only those coming from Covid-Free countries would be permitted entry. This statement, in-and-by-itself, negates everything we see being promoted by TAT and the Thai health insurance officials referenced above. The only exception to this would be foreigners who are currently allowed entry as outlined in the C-19 Phase 6 Plan.

Personally, and I could be wrong, I just can't see too many tourists coming to Thailand if they had to quarantine for 14 days to begin with. An article was published a few weeks ago in one of these newspapers who contradict themselves constantly, that the Tourist Authority (TAT) was targeting the "Wealthy Tourists", thus the basis of the Phuket Scheme. Now, just ask yourselves, how many truly wealthy people do you know who would leave their estates, perfectly groomed golf courses, maid service, and pool-side playmates, only to fly to Thailand to be quarantined for 14 days on some island which probably resembles their back yards?

Oh well, that's my two cents.

3. 8 Users gave Like to post:

Atsik (September 6th, 2020), BenCH (September 7th, 2020), christianpfc (September 6th, 2020), GerBear1958 (September 12th, 2020), goji (September 6th, 2020), poshglasgow (September 9th, 2020), siscu58 (September 14th, 2020), Smiles (December 5th, 2020)

Liked

...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week. Others have already returned and are already in quarantine in Bangkok. Because the Elite Visa office in Bangkok actually takes care of everything, the information is not posted on Thai Embassy websites. This is because they have nothing to do with the actual arrangements in this case. Elite Visa handles the hotel bookings, flight reservations, and everything except getting the COVID-19 test, which I will be getting next Monday. The Certificate of Entry comes directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand, not from the Embassies as has been the case for other types of visa holders. So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 12th, 2020), Maxxy (September 8th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kkjason View Post
    ...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week. Others have already returned and are already in quarantine in Bangkok. Because the Elite Visa office in Bangkok actually takes care of everything, the information is not posted on Thai Embassy websites. This is because they have nothing to do with the actual arrangements in this case. Elite Visa handles the hotel bookings, flight reservations, and everything except getting the COVID-19 test, which I will be getting next Monday. The Certificate of Entry comes directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand, not from the Embassies as has been the case for other types of visa holders. So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?
    Please do let us know exactly how you get on ....

7. User who gave Like to post:

GerBear1958 (September 12th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?
    Because obtaining facts pertaining to matters like this in Thailand is next to impossible. All we can do at this end is read what the newspapers have to say about these Covid-19 travel policies, try to decipher what they're actually saying, shuffle through the numerous contradictions, and draw our own conclusions, based mostly on speculation. Understanding, that the news papers over here are "public" the same as our forum.

You, being an Elite Visa Holder, certainly have more incentive (a million baht more incentive) to get the answers you need so you can return to Thailand, and it sounds like, from what you're saying, you can return with no problem. That's great news.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us what country your coming from, what level Elite Visa you hold, and any other details you feel may be useful to future travelers.

Good luck...hope your arrival next week goes as expected.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    Because obtaining facts pertaining to matters like this in Thailand is next to impossible. All we can do at this end is read what the newspapers have to say about these Covid-19 travel policies, try to decipher what they're actually saying, shuffle through the numerous contradictions, and draw our own conclusions, based mostly on speculation. Understanding, that the news papers over here are "public" the same as our forum.

You, being an Elite Visa Holder, certainly have more incentive (a million baht more incentive) to get the answers you need so you can return to Thailand, and it sounds like, from what you're saying, you can return with no problem. That's great news.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us what country your coming from, what level Elite Visa you hold, and any other details you feel may be useful to future travelers.

Good luck...hope your arrival next week goes as expected.
    Hello Dodger and Others;

I am actually from the USA, so don't shoot the messenger! The process for Elite Visa holders is actually quite simple now, but there is a process that is followed. In actually, we do very little other than fill out the request with the Elite office itself. The level of your visa with Elite does not actually matter. What does matter is how long you have had your visa and how long you have been out of the country. Those who have been out since February/March get priority. Those who have just received their visa recently are at the back of the line. Once you put in your request, which included three choices of possible hotels, the Elite office makes all of the arrangements. Once those are confirmed and you get a seat on a flight, then you get the COVID test three days prior. There are several places in my city that does the type of rapid testing that is required to get those results back quickly. In America, all COVID testing is free. Now, some will argue this point, but you can trust me that you can get the test for free just about anywhere, even if you do not have insurance in the States. I will say, and I have no idea why this is the case, but there are actually plenty of repatriation flights from the USA - there were 27 of them last month alone and at least that many scheduled for September. I have heard horror stories of people in Europe not having access to any such flights even if they get approval to get to Thailand, which is not right in my opinion - but it is what it is.

So - that is the process. With the Elite Visa, you do not actually go through the Embassy in the country you are in at all. Everything is done from inside Thailand and you are emailed all of the documents that you need. Our seats (my Thai husband and my retired father) are all booked - along with the hotel. I am rather looking forward to the quarantine - it will be 14 days of 'me' time, but I am sure I will probably get tired of it quite quickly. My father is dreading it, but can't wait to get back home to Thailand. My husband could take it or leave it.

Hopefully this information helps anyone wanting to return and has the Elite Visa. Yes - it is an expensive visa - I understand. But, just like I do not question how other people spend their money, I do not need other people questioning how I spend mine. It is a visa that works for me. It is certainly not for everyone.

Cheers -

11. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

kkjason,

Thank you very much for your response and the information you provided.

if you don't mind me asking, are you a Thai National or U.S. Citizen? I'm only asking because you mentioned your father being happy to return to his home in Thailand. This of course has a lot to do with the travel ban policies, regardless of what type of Visa a person is holding.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week......
    kkjason,

Understanding that you were due to arrive back in Thailand last week on your Elite Visa - can you please tell us how the trip went.

Thanks in advance

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    kkjason,

Understanding that you were due to arrive back in Thailand last week on your Elite Visa - can you please tell us how the trip went.

Thanks in advance

Hey Dodger;

Just going through old forum postings and saw this one - a bit late - ha! - The trip ended up going better than expected. I have nothing but good things to say about the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. They called us several times leading up to our departure to make sure we had everything, As I applied for everything, they would call if there were missing anything. To be honest - and I am being serious here - the process for me to get the COE with the Elite Visa was extremely simple. Elite Visa in Bangkok produced the letter from the Ministry of Foregin Affairs. With that letter, I simply uploaded it to the website in Los Angeles, along with copies of my insurance (I guess I am lucky here in that my insurance in the United States covers me in Thailand and issued a letter to that effect - for COVID I am talking about), copy of plane ticket, and the hotel reservation. Dad got his new visa and approval. My husband got his and we were on our way. Thai consulate representatives were at the airport to meet us and make sure we had everything. They even gave my husband (and the other Thais) a goodie bag of pork and sticky rice. We both enjoyed that on the plane! It was uneventful checking in at Los Angeles. The flight to Korea was long and boring, as could be expected. Transfer in Korea was smooth. They didn't even check our documents again - I was ready though! Then, arrival in Bangkok was smooth going - It helps having dad with us because he is in a wheelchair - we seem to go to the front of the line everywhere. Dropped us off at the hotel eventually. 14 days and three negative covid tests later we were on our way to Khon Kaen where we have been loving life again for the past two months. I will say that this is the time to come back - they have streamlined this process. I think it is much easier to get approval to come back than it was in the early days - at least if you have everything together. The quarantine is not fun - but it is what it is I guess. My husband and I MAY need to go back to the States again next summer for a month - if the process is the same as it is now, we will have no issues - but I hope the world is in a much better state by then so we can avoid the quarantine!

Cheers -

15. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 3rd, 2020), christianpfc (December 3rd, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hey Dodger;

Just going through old forum postings and saw this one - a bit late - ha! - The trip ended up going better than expected.
    That's great news!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't visit the forum during your 14 day quarantine. How in the hell did you keep busy?

Were you allowed the leave your hotel at all for exercise?

Any advice on what others should do to survive quarantine?