You are correct that it's the curfew rather than the coup that would influence my decision most for the reasons already outlined re being a "night owl" - and by that I don't necessarily mean out drinking and clubbing all the time ( although that does of course come into play) but just merely not being able to go outside at night would to me be the equivalent of prison ( I'm guessing :-).

Plus on a typical night out in Pattaya for example I may not venture out until 9 or 10pm ( after having some early evening fun in my room perhaps ) and THEN head out for a few drinks and to relax, chat to friends and maybe hook up with someone, I then might meet up with AN Other guy and return to my room for a little fun heading back out again afterwards and after years of refining my " Oh I sorry, I am due to go meet a farang friend now" excuses to get the guy out of my room and enable me to GET out again I'm damned in some General is going to undo all my hard work over the years and result in me being forced to remain with one ( or four or five :-) guys all night if I don't particularly want too - actually now that I think of it that five guy thing works ok actually but doing that EVERY night for a month could prove a tad expensive I fear not to mention exhausting ! lol

Likewise the same applies to Bangkok where the early part of the evening ( 9pm-11pm) might be spent with one guy whereas the latter part of the evening could be spent in DJ / GOD etc, where a whole other range of guys come into play and again I'm damned if someone is going to dictate to me where I must be and what time I must remain in my ( or someone else's) room to and from.

I do of course understand that locals and expats have no choice in the matter but thankfully as a tourist with choices, a passport and some money in my wallet I do and would most definitely just chose to spend my valuable holiday time elsewhere ( or most of it anyway). However as the general rumours seem to be that things will ease in the tourist areas soon hopefully that will at least solve the problems there, I just hope then that they class Silom as a "tourist area" as Bkk without my DJ Station fix would be just too much to bare :-(