List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are the Bars and clubs open tonight?

Liked

Are the Bars and clubs open tonight?

lI see it posted elsewhere that the police have saying police have "asked all entertainment to shut down from Oct 25th to Nov 8th" following on from the death of Somdet Phra Nyanasamvara, Thai Buddhism's Supreme Patriarch
    http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/676 ... es-at-100/

BF reports that all the pubs and karaokes in the area that he lives near Bang Na were closed tonight....
    Anybody else experienced similar in Bkk or Pattaya?

15 days is a long time for entertainment venues to be shut down for...

Buffalo me die! Send Money!

Liked

Re: Are the Bars and clubs open tonight?

The Bangkok Post has this:
    "Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday announced the extension of the period to mourn the late Supreme Patriarch from 15 to 30 days, in line with the extended duration for royal mourning announced by the Royal Household Bureau. The national flag will be flown at half mast for three days to observe the loss of the Supreme Patriarch. The Prime Minister's Office is responsible for arranging the funeral ceremony. Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, the national police chief, asked entertainment venues across the country to refrain from holding joyful shows and performances for 15 days, from Oct 25. The 15-day period could be further extended, he added."

Liked

The bars are all open and operating normally. It is my understanding there will be no closings of bars, government offices, banks, or any other businesses during the mourning period.

I have a feeling that the person who posted on Thai Visa about the police asking bars to close just made it up.
    https://www.gaybuttonthai.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs
    The Bangkok Post has this:
    "Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Friday announced the extension of the period to mourn the late Supreme Patriarch from 15 to 30 days, in line with the extended duration for royal mourning announced by the Royal Household Bureau. The national flag will be flown at half mast for three days to observe the loss of the Supreme Patriarch. The Prime Minister's Office is responsible for arranging the funeral ceremony. Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, the national police chief, asked entertainment venues across the country to refrain from holding joyful shows and performances for 15 days, from Oct 25. The 15-day period could be further extended, he added."
    Lest any poster is unaware, this is the old boy who's been living in Chulalongkorn Hospital for many years completely oblivious to his role as Supreme Patriarch because he's been suffering from Alzheimers.

Liked

the police where last night handing out leaflets to all bars in sunee, when i asked what it was about i was told that for the next 15 days the bars will need to be shut earlier and the music turned down.
    which was good as i managed to walk past double shot bar without having to shout at my mate.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton
    I have a feeling that the person who posted on Thai Visa about the police asking bars to close just made it up.
    Why would you think they made it up? some kind of respectful acknowedgement of the mourning peroid by bars and entertainment establishments would be expected, maybe suggestions of closing them for the whole 15 or 30 days would not be realistic and may be exaggerated but perhaps some police official did suggest that might happen from a list of potential actions before any definite decision was made.

Quote Originally Posted by timmberty
    and the music turned down.which was good as i managed to walk past double shot bar without having to shout at my mate.
    I know Timmy, these bars which have fun, laughter and music in an entertainment/bar area are real irritating are'nt they? Damned cheek while you are trying to talk with your mate which of course is far more interesting and vital to the area. I hope these noisy, fun bars respect your right to be glum and hopefully the notice will extend from 15 days to 30 as not to interupt the no doubt, facinating dialogue between you and your mate.

On my recent visit when having a drink at Double Shot across from Green Chair bar I also found the noise from the pool balls hitting eachother very annoying and could not hear myself think, and on two occassions some inconsiderate customer at the Green Chair bar caused quite a commotion when dragging the plastic chairs out to sit down and the sudden noise gave me quite a start!

Glad to see you've arrived and look forward to more of your interesting snippets.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by newalaan2
    Why would you think they made it up?
    Not "they" - just he. One person. I am not aware of any police instructions to entertainment venues to close for 15 days. Are you? The guy wrote "I just received a text from The Nation saying police have
    asked all entertainment to shut down from Oct 25th to Nov 8th."

I don't know of anyone else claiming to have received that or any other text from The Nation. I can't find one word in The Nation that even mentions anything about venues closing. And none of the gay venues in Pattaya have closed. The bars in Pattaya are open and operating. I don't know about elsewhere, but in Pattaya everything is open.

That's why I think the guy simply made it up.

The only thing I have seen are posts on this board saying entertainment venues have been asked not to display any "joyful" shows, have been asked to lower the music volume, and have been asked to close earlier. Asked, not ordered.

As for lowering the music volume, I'm all for it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton
    Not "they" - just he. One person. I am not aware of any police instructions to entertainment venues to close for 15 days. Are you? The guy wrote "I just received a text from The Nation saying police haveasked all entertainment to shut down from Oct 25th to Nov 8th."I don't know of anyone else claiming to have received that or any other text from The Nation. I can't find one word in The Nation that even mentions anything about venues closing. And none of the gay venues in Pattaya have closed. The bars in Pattaya are open and operating. I don't know about elsewhere, but in Pattaya everything is open. That's why I think the guy simply made it up.The only thing I have seen are posts on this board saying entertainment venues have been asked not to display any "joyful" shows, have been asked to lower the music volume, and have been asked to close earlier. Asked, not ordered.As for lowering the music volume, I'm all for it.
    Well I'm quite happy to trade pedantic points with someone who clearly has no grasp of the English language. I was not using 'they' in plural sense, it is perfectly in order to use the term 'they' in singular when referring to someone of unspecified sex. There is nothing in the 'persons' handle to indicate the person is actually male. You just made that up!

I didn't claim to be aware of any instructions from anyone, so why are you asking?

The person did not say anywhere that the police had given 'instructions' to close anyway, he stated quite clearly from the text that they had 'asked'. You have absolutely no idea if this person received a text from the Nation or not.......are you party to all communications from Nation staff? Thought not! A police official may well have indicated to someone in the Nation that police had 'asked' entertainment venues to shut down, and this suggestion may have been genuinely passed on before an actual decision was made/known. Nobody suggested there was 'one word' in the Nation mentioning venues closing so it's no surprise you didn't find one! And you know diddly-squat about who may or may not receive texts from the Nation, so again it's no wonder you 'don't know of anyone else'. Now is there any other irrelevant nonsense you want to drone on about to make your point?

Nobody said they had been 'ordered' to do anything regarding music volume levels, so i'm not sure why you emphasise 'asked'. As for your being 'all for' music volumes being lowered, I could be wrong here....but i'll wager nobody gives a flying feck..........least of all bar owners. It must come as a shock to receive a contrary reply to your words of wisdom, given that on your Board contrary opinions to your own are normally strictly forbidden.

Well I'm quite happy to trade pedantic points with someone who clearly has no grasp of the English language.
    I think you are forgetting that Gaybutton has a Humpty Dumpty approach to the English language. "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean тАФ neither more nor less."

Liked

Well I'm quite happy to trade pedantic points with someone who clearly has no grasp of the English language.
    Congratulations. Once again, as usual, you've shown that try to support your argument with absurdities and by thinking up put downs and insults. Notice that I didn't do that to you? You asked why I think the guy made it up and I answered you - without including insults and put-downs in my post. I don't need to support my side of an argument by trying to insult or put-down. Don't worry though, you'll be the first one I'll seek out if I find myself in need of inanities. You got your answer. Now insult away all you want. I won't be responding.

And I still think the guy simply made it up.